• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.338LM - .50 Cal

Re: Loads for .338LM

Sako TRG-42, 27 1/8", 1:12" twist.

Lapua Brass neck sized with .365 TiNi Redding bushing.

Fed 215M primer.

Hodgdon 4831sc @ 85.5-87.0 grains.

Lapua 250gr Scenar or SMK 250gr seated to ~3.650". Mag. safe.

~2775-2850fps @ 80*/sea level

0-750 yards ~.75 MOA

This is a bit milder than factory loads for the 250s at ~2950, but works well at short to medium distances and is a bit easier on the gun and a bit cheaper to load.

Chris

All loads developed in a Sako TRG-s M995 with factory barrel, 1:10 twist, 26", no brake. Redding Competition Neck Die with 0.365" bushing and Redding Competition Micrometer Seating Die were used:

Elk Load___ Lapua Brass, Fed 215M primers,225 gr. Nosler Accubond, 3.741 OAL, 93.4 gr RE22

Buffalo Load___ Lapua Brass, Fed 215 primers, 300 gr Winchester Power Point Round Nose, 3.588 OAL, 90.0 gr H1000

All Purpose "Varmint" Load___ Lapua Brass, Fed 215M primers, 200 gr Hornady SP, 3.696 OAL, 102 gr H1000

Deer Load___ Lapua Brass, Fed 215M Primers, 250 gr SGK, 3.582 OAL, 88.4 gr RE22

Lapua brass, Fed 215m, 89 grains of R-25, 300 sierra. I'm getting just under 2900 fps.

720mm barrel, 11.5" twist

Lapua Brass FL-sized with .365 TiNi Redding bushing.

250 Scenar (non-coated!!)

Fed 215 primer

VV N560, 88,0 greins

910 m/s i.e. 3033 fps

Not warm. 89,0 greins is a hot load in warm weather !!

OAL: 91,7mm or 3.61"

Redding Shell Holder #35 works perfectly.

RCBS Shell Holder #14 seems tall, #37 does not fit at all.

Strange, I wonder if my Lapua Brass is old spec or something....

50 BMG
LC 01 brass.
215 grains W860
CCI 35 primer
750 Amax seated to the lands.
Loaded on a Lee 50 BMG press and dies.
Powder is thrown from a RCBS thrower, two shots of 107.5 grains.
Barrett 99, 32" barrel.
Accuracy is 4.5" at 600yards, 3 shot group.
Have yet to chronograph.

Lapua DID have a different brass base in use for their 338LM than what CIP uses. Today they are the same as everybody else.

I thought it was funny when they explained to me that their 338 LAPUA Magnum brass was not made to the exact CIP-specification for which Lapua itself had applied the CIP-secification.

I believe today the generic 45-70/.416 Rigby shell holder works just fine with newly manufactured Lapua-made 338LM brass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mopseydocks6014</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking at MidwayUSA, they have lapua and norma brass. Is one better than the other? </div></div>

Started out with 80 new Lapua 338s and 20 new Norma. One Norma had a a neck split after the 2nd firing. I'm on 8 firings with my Lapua brass and everything's hunky dory.

Norma is actually about 10-12grs heavier, if you can believe that, but my advice would be to get Lapua and get a couple/few boxes, as the price is skyrocketing. Norma works fine too and if it's a lot cheaper try some, but Lapua IME is lasting pretty long for a large cartridge case.

Chris

Wow - I have been collecting Lapua Brass for the past four months, the best price I found was at brunoshooters.com in Phoenix AZ. I just looked at the prices today, while the prices have increased for 2008 following the Lapua increase, Bruno is still very competitive.

Be safe, BSR

Is there some kind of conversion where I know how many grains I want to load and how many bullets I want to make so I know how much power to order? I'm beyond new to this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigSoundRacing</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow - I have been collecting Lapua Brass for the past four months, the best price I found was at brunoshooters.com in Phoenix AZ. I just looked at the prices today, while the prices have increased for 2008 following the Lapua increase, Bruno is still very competitive.

Be safe, BSR </div></div>

Yeah, as you know, I bought a case of Lapua 338 brass from Pettibone in Chicago in March and was doing some Ebay selling along with moly coated 300gr SMKs as kind of a niche thing, 50 cases/50 tips and I couldn't compete with Brunos even at my cost ($1550 shipped for 10 boxes.) His $1.49 a piece was even cheaper than the 2006 prices, IIRC, but boy...have times changed.

I think Brunos was at $2.04 last week.

I have two and a half boxes for myself and didn't sell that final box I had listed here at $185 shipped, but yippie for me because of non-precious metal increases!

I'm rich bitch!

Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mopseydocks6014</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there some kind of conversion where I know how many grains I want to load and how many bullets I want to make so I know how much power to order? I'm beyond new to this. </div></div>

My pet load for shorter ranges...<750yds is 85.5gr of H-4831SC under the two 250s, SMK and Scenars, as I shoot a 1:12" Sako TRG42 and seated to roughly 3.650" @ ~2775-2825 fps, 215M. I don't need to push it at the shorter ranges that I shoot.

I've also had good luck with ~87-89gr of VV165 and roughly a bit more of VV170. Tried H-1000 once and didn't care for the results at 100yds, so I'm sticking with those. I do have some RE-25 to fiddle with.

People seem to do well with ~95grs under the 300gr SMKs for ultra long ranges, but shoot 1:10" twists or faster.

Figure that you'll get about 70 rounds per pound at 100gr, more as you download them.

Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisGarrett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

People seem to do well with ~95grs under the 300gr SMKs for ultra long ranges, but shoot 1:10" twists or faster.

Figure that you'll get about 70 rounds per pound at 100gr, more as you download them.

Chris</div></div>
Am I reading this correctly? If I get a smk tip that is 300gr, there aren't 300gr in the bullet? Boy do I have a lot to learn.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mopseydocks6014</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisGarrett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Chris</div></div>
Am I reading this correctly? If I get a smk tip that is 300gr, there aren't 300gr in the bullet? Boy do I have a lot to learn. </div></div>

I was referring to the powder charge. For 338LM target shooting, it's basically the 250gr Scenars and MatchKings and the 300gr MK. For the latter, a twist of 1:10" is preferable, as the tips are longer than either 250gr HPBTs.

I think that at ~86grs of go-go juice, I get like 85 rounds per pound.

Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisGarrett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I have two and a half boxes for myself and didn't sell that final box I had listed here at $185 shipped, but yippie for me because of non-precious metal increases!

I'm rich bitch!

Chris </div></div>

Hey Chris, I bought 2x100 boxes off of you on eBay (B4 they hosed shooters). This IS a small world!

I have a TRG-42 in 338LM. I have about half a pound of IMR 4831 left and will be ordering more powder soon. Should I get eight pounds of Hodgdon 4831SC or stay with IMR 4831. I haven't had much time to test out the loads with the IMR powder but have noticed that MANY TRG-42 shooters use the H-4831SC powder. So, any suggestions?

I can't seem to find any Federal 215M primers anywhere. Would CCI #250 make much difference loading .338LM 300 grainers?

Re: Loads for .338LM- .50 Cal

Where is the grocery list of equipment, for what I need to start from fresh, reloading .338 lapua? thank you

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: [email protected]</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone have a load for 800gr barnes bullets in 50bmg? </div></div>

What length barrel? What chamber? And at what range. For a tight match chamber-not cut for bore riders. Start with 210grains of VV24N41.Also the same for H US869 and H50BMG. I use these also for starting loads with 800 gr. lapua solids.VV 20N29 is slower than 24N41 and may give you marginally better results with the 800 gr. bullet but if you shoot 750's also I would stick to 24N41 if buying VV. Use EXTREME caution working up 50BMG loads,not as forgiving as a 308.
crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisGarrett</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mopseydocks6014</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there some kind of conversion where I know how many grains I want to load and how many bullets I want to make so I know how much power to order? I'm beyond new to this. </div></div>

My pet load for shorter ranges...<750yds is 85.5gr of H-4831SC under the two 250s, SMK and Scenars, as I shoot a 1:12" Sako TRG42 and seated to roughly 3.650" @ ~2775-2825 fps, 215M. I don't need to push it at the shorter ranges that I shoot.chris will be shortly investing in a 338 rifle either a TRG or a Blaser LRS2, what groups are you obtaining at 600-1200y with your 338 TRG, also have you found best acuracy by seating the Lapua scenars at or just off lands also have you tried any of the berger VLDs in your rifle, regards paul.

I've also had good luck with ~87-89gr of VV165 and roughly a bit more of VV170. Tried H-1000 once and didn't care for the results at 100yds, so I'm sticking with those. I do have some RE-25 to fiddle with.

Chris </div></div>

I have a few questions?

Can I mail ammo in the mail to someone?

I have 4 total boxes (20) of Black Hills .338 Lapua I bought. One is 250 gr and 3 are 300 gr. I want to sell them because I got the .416 Barrett instead of the sako. SO, if I posted them for sale, could I ship them to someone on this forum? If anyone is interested, then let me know how much you would offer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jkkfam89</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a few questions?

Can I mail ammo in the mail to someone?

I have 4 total boxes (20) of Black Hills .338 Lapua I bought. One is 250 gr and 3 are 300 gr. I want to sell them because I got the .416 Barrett instead of the sako. SO, if I posted them for sale, could I ship them to someone on this forum? If anyone is interested, then let me know how much you would offer. </div></div>

You can't ship ammo via the USPS, but rather FedEx and UPS. It's a bit of a hassle, but there should be no 'added' surcharge.

Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lapua DID have a different brass base in use for their 338LM than what CIP uses. Today they are the same as everybody else.

I thought it was funny when they explained to me that their 338 LAPUA Magnum brass was not made to the exact CIP-specification for which Lapua itself had applied the CIP-secification.

I believe today the generic 45-70/.416 Rigby shell holder works just fine with newly manufactured Lapua-made 338LM brass. </div></div>

I first got the RCBS #37 shellholder (416Rigby) it did not work until I Dremelled it out, but the RCBS #14 works oerfectly.

This is with Lapua brass.

I'm using a # 14 RCBS and it will not allow the primers to fully seat using an RCBS hand primer. This is with 03 and new Lapua brass. I have a Redding #35 comming with my order from Bauer Arms. I hope this cures my ills.............

As with other Magnum calibers can you get away with using Large Rifle Primers in a 338 Lapua ? Or do you have to use Large Magnum?

Thanks.

I would stick to Magnum primers for the quan of powder used in the .338LM's./////////////

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mopseydocks6014</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there some kind of conversion where I know how many grains I want to load and how many bullets I want to make so I know how much power to order? I'm beyond new to this. </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">You SURE you need to start on the .338LM?..............</span>

Heres my problem. I cant fit the 338 case in my forster trimmer, So #1 i need a new trimmer setup (Suggestions please). Number 2 what dies will get me started for the 338lm on my redding press?. #3 what does SMK mean, and where can i get fed 215's, didnt see them at midway, gaf, or cabelas?#4 what tools r good for cleaning the flash hole, primer pocket, deburring neck and reaming neck? thanks

#1 You can have your "Original" series trimmer modified to accept the larger collet,or you can purchase the larger "Classic" series http://www.forsterproducts.com/Pages/class_trimmers.htm. Buying the larger Classic series would be the way to go.

#2 Do a search on the dies.A lot of suggestions on the forums. I use the Forester Micrometer Benchrest set.

#3 SMK means Sierra MatchKing. My local gun store usually has GM215M primers in stock. You'll have to keep looking on the internet to find an online source.

#4 RCBS and the other reloading companies make various tools for cleanings primer pockets,deburring the necks ,ect. Just look at their online cataloges.

Please fill out your profile before the Profile Police come for you.
smile.gif

what do u mean when u say ~3.650. mag. safe?

what collet works best with the forster classic for the 338 lapua mag. You have the option of collet #5 thru #8?.. also what pilot did u get?

The #4 is recommended for the 338 Lapua in the "Original" series trimmer.http://www.forsterproducts.com/cgi-bin/order_search.pl?list=338+Lapua+Magnum&num=25&words=338+lapua . The 416 Rigby,which is what the 338 Lapua's parent case was, recommends #4 collet in a modified "Original" series trimmer or a #5 collet in a "Classic" series http://www.forsterproducts.com/cgi-bin/order_search.pl?list=416+Rigby&num=25&words=416+rigby . The rim of the Rigby is .590" and the Lapua is .588". I elected to leave my Forester trimmer alone and use a modified Lee case trimmer. http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1219814028.1034=/html/catalog/casecon.html. I ended up cutting down a 375 H&H case length gauge on my lathe to work with the 338 Lapua. Works very well. If you're going to use the Forester trimmer,call them first and see what they recommend.

yeah i called them today but it was after hours, so ill try again tommorrow. Seems that the hornady new dimensions dies are out of stock, the 250 scenars are out of stock , the lapua brass is out, everything is out. starting to get frustrated with all this stuff

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DUB DEE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yeah i called them today but it was after hours, so ill try again tommorrow. Seems that the hornady new dimensions dies are out of stock, the 250 scenars are out of stock , the lapua brass is out, everything is out. starting to get frustrated with all this stuff</div></div>
Yes you are right!!. It can be quite frustrating. They are expensive to start out with so it's almost like stock up as much as your wallet permits when you can find them. Good luck man.

A few places such as Bruno's,Graf and Sons and Midwayusa are showing the Lapua brass in stock but not the 250 scenars. I waited over a month for a 500 count box of 300Gr SMK's to come in. You just have to be patient.

yeah, patience. Thats fine, just want to get the right stuff, makes sense is sold out... cuz its good, and everybody wants it. BTW the forster classic case trimmer doesnt even make a 338 lapua collet. I talked to forster today, great customer service, left a message, they called me back first thing this morning!, so im gonna modify my forster original and order collet #4, i just gotta ream out my forster collet holder. Think im goin with what Chris Garret told me bout, the hornady new dimension die set. seems like a good one. Not sure bout the micro seating stem though, dont know what it is for yet? dont know what i need all these bushing for either? seems like all i would need is the die set and a shell holder. If anybody else is looking for this stuff i got part #'s from midway to help your search out, but double check me on these things:
1) Hornady new dimension dies Part#779608
2) Hornady shellholder #43 338LM part#706368
3) Hodgdon H-4831sc product#112439

theres some more parts ill post later, I havent ordered yet so if anybody has any info on these parts or better ones, id love to hear it

All goin through the tube of my TRG 42 1:12 naughty stick 338LM

well i eneded up getting the redding type s competition 3 die set. And i love it

I got the Hornady #43 shell holder (i think its a 43, double check me on that!) and it works good as well.

went with the V V N560 powder @ 87.5 geez, the 250 SMK's and some 250 Lapua lock base bullets as well. All goin on my black hills Lapua cases that I shot one time so far, and as you guys said the brass all looked good. Im gonna stick with Lapua Brass.

My Overall Case length w/ bullet is ~3.663, the micrometer on the seating die is awesome!!

Like a lot of guys say, you dont want to full length size your case every time, cuz it breaks the brass down. Wonder what a good rule of thumb is for how often you should full size your case?

Still cant get any Fed 215 M's so i went with the standard blue box 215's.. i will report back on my exp. w/ how they work.
(if anybody knows where i can order some 215 m's, please drop me a line)

oh yeah, Im using a redding type s titanium nitride 365 bushing, partialy seating the neck about 3/16" to 1/4" from top of case.

dies feel nice when forming, just keepn them lubed real good, once i decap, neck size, trim, clean primer and flash hole, i just drop em in a bucket of warm water and liquid tide for 20 mins. and them blow them out w/ air then let them dry

.338LM TRG42

NOTE: Using a CHRONY and have doubts about the accuracy of it. Also note temp readings.

Hunting Load: TEMP 50F
.338LM SAKO TRG Date: 10-26-08
Bullet-225gr Nosler Accubond
Powder-88gr H4831SC
Primer-F215M
Brass-Hornady
OAL- 3.625/3.910
FPS:2835 AVG
(Just put this load together and used the same dope as my Target Load. Real close to being the same. (within 1.5", tested on 30mph windy day)
(Will test more for accuracy, but looks to be VERY ACCURATE to 500yrds at least)

Target Load: TEMP 90F
.338LM SAKO TRG Date: 6-10-08
Bullet-250gr Sierra Matchking
Powder-88gr H4831SC
Primer-F215M
Brass-Lapua
OAL- 3.695/3.930
FPS:2939 AVG
(Sub .75 groups to 750)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DUB DEE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yeah, patience. Thats fine, just want to get the right stuff, makes sense is sold out... cuz its good, and everybody wants it. BTW the forster classic case trimmer doesnt even make a 338 lapua collet. I talked to forster today, great customer service, left a message, they called me back first thing this morning!, so im gonna modify my forster original and order collet #4, i just gotta ream out my forster collet holder. Think im goin with what Chris Garret told me bout, the hornady new dimension die set. seems like a good one. Not sure bout the micro seating stem though, dont know what it is for yet? dont know what i need all these bushing for either? seems like all i would need is the die set and a shell holder. If anybody else is looking for this stuff i got part #'s from midway to help your search out, but double check me on these things:
1) Hornady new dimension dies Part#779608
2) Hornady shellholder #43 338LM part#706368
3) Hodgdon H-4831sc product#112439

theres some more parts ill post later, I havent ordered yet so if anybody has any info on these parts or better ones, id love to hear it </div></div>

The micro seater is a nice feature to have. It allows you to make fine adjustments to the seating depth without fooling around with the lock ring constantly. You can get a much closer tolerance.

As for dies, I really like the Forster dies. http://www.forsterproducts.com/Pages/dies_order.htm

Powders - you may want to check out the Norma powders (MRP and MRP2) and well as Vhitavuori's lineup. The Vhitavuori reloading manual is a great resource for the 338 Lapua. I think both of them have reloading information listed on their websites.

Watch out for the press - the standard presses will not accommodate the length of the 338 Lapua cartridges.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vulcan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Watch out for the press - the standard presses will not accommodate the length of the 338 Lapua cartridges. </div></div>

Which presses will be good to go for the 338LM?