• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.338LM Cartidge Headspace Measurement Tool?

tdow

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 19, 2008
Washington
What are you guys using to measure the cartridge headspace for .338LM? There doesn't seem to be much available.

Thanks.

Re: .338LM Cartidge Headspace Measurement Tool?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tdow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What are you guys using to measure the cartridge headspace for .338LM? There doesn't seem to be much available.

Thanks. </div></div>

The same one I use for the other cartridges, that is to say the Horandy/Stoney Point headspace gages.

I think it's the .420 magnum insert.

Works fine.

Chris

Thanks. They don't list it on their chart, so I just figured it wouldn't fit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tdow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks. They don't list it on their chart, so I just figured it wouldn't fit. </div></div>

It doesn't quite make it to the proverbial, mythical datum line, but it's close enough for government work.

Chris

Roger what Chris said and uses. It's the "E" .420-inch insert.

Once upon a time someone approached Doug Giraud for a drop-in gage, but I'm not sure he ever made a big run.

Doug also makes a bullet/case comparator insert that works the same as the Stoney Point/Hornady, but is one-piece (just flip it for bullets one one end, case shoulder on the other):

CIMG0237.JPG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinister</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Roger what Chris said and uses. It's the "D" insert.

Once upon a time someone approached Doug Giraud for a drop-in gage, but I'm not sure he ever made a big run.

Doug also makes a bullet/case comparator insert that works the same as the Stoney Point/Hornady, but is one-piece (just flip it for bullets one one end, case shoulder on the other):

CIMG0237.JPG
</div></div>

There was a nice guy here, a couple of years back, that had a drop in gage made by one of the big press makers, IIRC. He wouldn't say who was making it, but it was $40 bucks. Wilson, at the time, wasn't going to do them because the 338LM wasn't a SAAMI cartridge, only CIP.

This guy had it made and posted pics, so you might go back into 2007 and search this forum (we seemed to be missing some archives, however). People wanted to wait and see it before dropping the scratch and the guy making it said it was too much trouble, so it was a one shot prototype.

I always thought it was Lee, for some reason.

I don't recall his moniker unfortunately and I don't see him posting much as of late.

I looked at mine and it is indeed the .420" insert, the largest of the five I think. I guess one could go find some tubing/piping that fits right at the midway point of the shoulder, cut and file it true and use that.

I can go three cycles, or so, before I even need to worry about a shoulder bump, let alone a FL sizing.

Chris

Yes, I believe it was Doug doing the gages -- I was in Iraq 07-08 and couldn't/didn't get into the buy before I deployed.

Our Sportsman's Warehouse in town sells the Hornady/Stoney Point inserts separately in the reloading section, if that's any help for folks that have one of the stores near them.