• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338LM. Getting started.

hydro556

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2007
STL, home of the Cardinals.
I have a 338LM coming soon and I am needing to get started reloading for it. I have never loaded for the Lapua Magnum, or any other long action for that matter. Just wanting some general advice/guidelines and any tips you guys may have.

I will be sizing and loading on my trusty RCBS RockChucker Supremes. I assume these are fine for the 338. So, the press is covered. Everything else, I need
cry.gif
. Except powder/primers. I have about 24 lbs of Varget, and 5-6K Federal 210M's, so hopefully those will work.

I need a quality set of dies. Does any particular maker of 338LM dies stand out as the best? Or does what I know about 308 dies apply here as well?

Brass and bullets. I need lots of them. I use and love Sierra Match Kings and Lapua Scenars for my 308, should I stay with these when I start loading the big boy? Do any of the reloading suppliers specialize in 338 components or is it just the old standbys for this too?

Lastly, if anyone has any 338 components to sell, please PM me.

Looking forward to this.

Re: 338LM. Getting started.

Congrats on a great rifle.

Varget is too fast. If you want to sell 10 lbs, I'll take it.

Check out:
http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

Any quality dies will work fine. Ditto bullets.

I load everything from 22 Hornet to 400 H&H and find that the big cartridges are really easier than the little guys.

BTW if you want to shoot cheap, have fun out to 500 yards or more, and have that barrel last forever, don't pass up cast bullets. IME the best molds come from:

http://www.neihandtools.com/

look at these bad boys: (you have to toggle down from the top)

http://www.neihandtools.com/catalog/index.html

Any of these at 1500 fps or so would replicate many serious black powder rounds. (the 40-90 Sharps pushed a 370 gr bullet at 1475 fps)

Good shooting!

Is Varget really not a popular propellant for the LM or are you just joking around about trying to get some. I will have to check out some reloading recipes, I hope Varget is GTG for 338 because I have a bunch of it and really like the powder.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is Varget really not a popular propellant for the LM or are you just joking around about trying to get some. I will have to check out some reloading recipes, I hope Varget is GTG for 338 because I have a bunch of it and really like the powder. </div></div>

If you're going to shoot this gun and reload for it, you need to do a lot more research. Not to be hard on you but Varget is nowhere close for this cartridge. Yes you can use the SMK, the 300gr is relatively popular in this round.

96 gns of RL25 with a 250 gn scenar. 3.861 oal. THats what I do for my TRG 42. Runs like a charm.

Chucker supreme press should be fine. Varget however, is not I don't think. It's not slow enough for the 338 LM pills. I would suggest either RL25, Retumbo. I use RL25 out of mine. 94.5 grains of RL25 set at 3.600" with Lapua case, Fed 215M gives about 3000 fps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ATH</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is Varget really not a popular propellant for the LM or are you just joking around about trying to get some. I will have to check out some reloading recipes, I hope Varget is GTG for 338 because I have a bunch of it and really like the powder. </div></div>

If you're going to shoot this gun and reload for it, you need to do a lot more research. Not to be hard on you but Varget is nowhere close for this cartridge. Yes you can use the SMK, the 300gr is relatively popular in this round. </div></div>

Uhhh, thats exactly what is occurring in this very post. As I mentioned, I have not loaded for 338 or any long action. I am gathering info on how to go about doing just that.

I started looking at reloading data bases and see that Varget is not used for 338LM. So, I am going to have to find some other powders. Sucks, because I am pretty well stocked on Varget.

One thing I noticed Hydro, as far as I know you are going to need magnum primers... the 210's may not cut it. All the load data I have seen specifies Large Magnum Rifle primers. If it turns out you do need the magnums, start looking now as they are hard to find.

I use 97 gr. of Retumbo, Winchester LR magnum primers, HSM brass and 250 SMK's. Runs 3040-3060 and is pretty accurate. I would check the Jamison brass marketed by Cheytac. $1.45 and claiming 10-14 loads. Most folks swear by Lapua bullets and brass for the 338lm, other brand components make it go bang also. As stated by Beagle storm start looking for magnum primers they are pretty scarce right now.Lay in a supply of earplugs and enjoy it!

I am with 90.5g VV N170 and 215M and 300g SMK all put nicely together in good old LAPUA brass...

Varget is Out of the question for this round and the 210m well I hear different stories.. for me its 215m or rem 9 1/2 on the primers.

You are spending lots of money for a rifle and this is not a cheep round evan for reloading... take the time to learn from others before you do something that cost more and more.

I know where to get some 215M's. I will pick up a couple K. I know that nothing about the 338LM is cheap, but the results should be worth it.

Hydro, Varget is a 308/7.62 NATO powder. You will only be unhappy if you try to use it in the 338 LM.
Did you look at the Hodgdon website I sent you?
If you want to reload anything, step one is research.

Yes, Humble, step one is research. That is why I am researching, LOL.

And yes, I checked out your link, plus some others. Looks like I will be stocking a couple new powders.

210M will not work, you have to go to 215M for primers.

I have tried both Lapua and Norma brass, stick with Lapua for 338LM.

I like 250 SCENAR or LOCKBASE for pills.

I am going to pick up a couple K 215M's. Going to pick up a couple 1 lb jugs of various recommended powders and see what it likes.

If anyone has already been doing load development for the DT in 338, I would like to hear what results you have been getting. I know each rifle is unique.

Starting to price components.

For Lapua 250 grain bullets, is $660 per K pretty standard?

And 300 grain Lapua bullets @ $690 per K?

Just checking with a guy I know, and that was the first number I got. I assume these are Scenars, going to have to confirm.

I didn't look very hard, 1st place I checked had 250gr scenars at $62/100 plus shipping.

Don't forget 1 lb don't go very far when your burning almost 100grains/round
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ramius</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I didn't look very hard, 1st place I checked had 250gr scenars at $62/100 plus shipping.

Don't forget 1 lb don't go very far when your burning almost 100grains/round
grin.gif
</div></div>

Yeah, copy on the 1lb not lasting. But, it would load enough that you should be able to see if the rifle likes it. It wont be cheap to shoot, but it should be a ball.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check Powder Valley's pricing.</div></div>

Wow, their web page says the have stopped accepting backorders on primers because they have over 50 MILLION already backordered. I guess it's going to be awhile before it gets any better.

Just shoot Lapua factory and sell me the once fired brass for a buck each.....grin!!

Seriously, for the 250s I've had good luck with VVN560 and RL25 also H4831SC shot real well too. For the 300s Retumbo was tops without a doubt. I only use Lapua brass. Try to find some Federal 215 match primers.

Good luck with your new project and keep us up to speed on how it goes!!

I think I am fine on primers, for at least a year or so. It is not as if I will be shooting thousands of rounds a year through the 338.

Have any of you guys loading for the SRS in 338 had pretty good luck with the 250 SMK's? I use the SMK's a lot in 308's and am inclined to start with them for the 338. I am wanting to go ahead and place an order to get started and that seems as good a bullet to start with as any.

I would just like to hear first hand from someone loading for this particular rifle before ordering.

I am not the greatest at internet searching, but I am finding very little info on reloading for this particular rifle. I knew there werent a ton of these rifles out yet, but thought there were enough that there would be some data out there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MitchinOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check Powder Valley's pricing. </div></div>

I am not sure what I am doing wrong, but I can never use Powder Valleys website. I click on the category that I want to view, and it just comes back to their generic page. No matter which category I click, I can never view items and prices. Can someone help me out? I always hear that PV is a good source but I have never been able to see their products.
blush.gif

hydro, what browser? Works fine in Firefox so.

I use FF as well. This is not a new problem for me. Over the years, I have never been able to view items on PV's site.

What do they charge for 100 Lapua cases?

lapua brass, 215m primers, 89.5 grains of vv n165 & 300 gr smk's shoots great in my trg 42

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 338LM coming soon and I am needing to get started reloading for it. I have never loaded for the Lapua Magnum, or any other long action for that matter. Just wanting some general advice/guidelines and any tips you guys may have.

I will be sizing and loading on my trusty RCBS RockChucker Supremes. I assume these are fine for the 338. So, the press is covered. Everything else, I need
cry.gif
. Except powder/primers. I have about 24 lbs of Varget, and 5-6K Federal 210M's, so hopefully those will work. suggest the 215's

I need a quality set of dies. Does any particular maker of 338LM dies stand out as the best? Or does what I know about 308 dies apply here as well? get the redding as I think they are the best out there but get ready in that there approx $250.00 a set for the comp's

Brass and bullets. I need lots of them. I use and love Sierra Match Kings and Lapua Scenars for my 308, should I stay with these when I start loading the big boy? Do any of the reloading suppliers specialize in 338 components or is it just the old standbys for this too? depending how far you are shooting the 250's smk's are fine you can shoot the lapua's but I have gotten great results to 1K with 250's would switch passt 1400 to the 300's

Lastly, if anyone has any 338 components to sell, please PM me. I have a set of the RCBS gold match Dies there as new reason is all my other dies are redding
let me know if I can help

your doing to love this caliber

Looking forward to this.

</div></div>
Read comments at the ends of the questions above

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use FF as well. This is not a new problem for me. Over the years, I have never been able to view items on PV's site.

What do they charge for 100 Lapua cases? </div></div>

LAPUA 338 LAPUA MAGNUM (100) Yes $222.00

If you are feeling up for it, you can pick up Hornady 338LM brass from Midway for $26.99/20, shows in stock. I am tempted to give it a try myself, but I have quite a bit of Lapua brass as it is.

-pd

I load the .338LM on the original RockChucker press and don't have a problem using standard RCBS dies.

RL22, RL25, Retumbo, H1000 and IMR4350 are good powders. I tried N160 and found that the recoil was greater. You will get anywhere fron 67 rds - 87rds from a pound of powder.

I've used 250 grain Scenars and Lock Base (Scenars are more accurate) but have settled on Sierra's 300gr'ers.

Good to hear BHP. I will be loading with my rockchuckers as well.

I will look into the powders you mentioned. Going to try and get by one of the local shops this weekend and pick up a few different kinds to try.

To start, I guess I will try the 250 grain SMK's. All I can find right now.

A buddy of mine found and ordered some Wolf primers for his 338. He said the vendor was pushing them as decent primers. Anybody have an opinion on the Wolf primers for 338LM?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A buddy of mine found and ordered some Wolf primers for his 338. He said the vendor was pushing them as decent primers. Anybody have an opinion on the Wolf primers for 338LM? </div></div>

Didn't try Wolf, but tried CCI250s due to 215M shortage, they run a little slower than Federal 215M.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ptd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are feeling up for it, you can pick up Hornady 338LM brass from Midway for $26.99/20, shows in stock. I am tempted to give it a try myself, but I have quite a bit of Lapua brass as it is.

-pd </div></div>

I have used the Hornday brass and found accuracy to be on par with Lapua and Norma. Don't know about case life yet.

I use wolf they work prett damn good!! My .338 grouped the best with these primers..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308isgreat</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ptd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are feeling up for it, you can pick up Hornady 338LM brass from Midway for $26.99/20, shows in stock. I am tempted to give it a try myself, but I have quite a bit of Lapua brass as it is.

-pd </div></div>

I have used the Hornday brass and found accuracy to be on par with Lapua and Norma. Don't know about case life yet. </div></div>

Please update us on the life expectancy of the Hornady brass when you have more info. Always good to have something to compare to. Lapua brass are good, but they are getting rediculously expensive.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just shoot Lapua factory and sell me the once fired brass for a buck each.....grin!!

Seriously, for the 250s I've had good luck with VVN560 and RL25 also H4831SC shot real well too. For the 300s Retumbo was tops without a doubt. I only use Lapua brass. Try to find some Federal 215 match primers.

Good luck with your new project and keep us up to speed on how it goes!! </div></div>

I was told similar stuff from someone else who loads 338LM. So, since I have 250 SMK's and 300 SMK's I picked up a pound of 4831 for the 250's and a pound of Retumbo for the 300's. I am going to try both and see what the rifle likes. I cant find a solid answer on what the twist rate is for either the 308 or the 338 on the SRS.

Someone also recommended RL25 so I am going to try to pick up a pound of that sometime too.

hydro556,dont forget 689 real slow 250 pills push about 2900

88 grains of H1000. 300 grn SBTHPM Lapua brass. Federal GMM 215 Mag Primers. What twist barrel you have?

For the 338, the current run of rifles is 1:10, the next batch is supposed to have 1:9.35.

Not an expert on the 338 Lapua yet bet getting closer every day. I think the 1/10 would like the 250's best.

Let me know when you get it. What type of powder, bullets and such you like using and I will try to share my dope with you.

I've been able to get 12 reloads out of my Lapua brass and that is running close to max pressure. I neck size until they become difficult to chamber then bump the shoulder .002".

I'll post the results of the Hornady brass when they finally give up the ghost.

I have quit using CCI and Rem. primers in my .338 LM and .408 CT.

Had a couple of hang fires then a dud., I am anal about handling primers; my hands never touch them and I clean anything that touches them.

A dud will ruin your day. Is it dead or still cooking when you have to open that bolt?????.

Federal 215 only.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1000 YDS. IS FUN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have quit using CCI and Rem. primers in my .338 LM and .408 CT.

Had a couple of hang fires then a dud., I am anal about handling primers; my hands never touch them and I clean anything that touches them.

A dud will ruin your day. Is it dead or still cooking when you have to open that bolt?????.

Federal 215 only. </div></div>

Had a couple of hang fires myself with CCIs. Wish I could get some 215Ms, but I am always too late even with notification they are usually sold before I get the notification.