• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338LM prefered barrel twist and length?

buggz

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2021
Georgia
Hello,

Going to rebarrel my Sako M995 TRG-S.
From the Sako website specs, the current barrel is 12" twist at 24 1/2" long.

I am looking to shoot 300 grains bullets.
What is the optimum twist rate and length?
Is there an app that calculates this?

Oh, just busting steels and punching paper...

How far are you planning to shoot?

I spent a lot of years shooting .338LM and even moved up to a .338LM Improved 40 with a 36" barrel so I could squeeze the most performance I could out of 300gr bullets. That being said, nowadays I shoot a .300 Norma Mag out to the same distances I used to shoot the vanilla .338LM (<2100m) and think it's a better cartridge for that. It's a bit less recoil and has a wider range of bullet options while still using the Lapua bolt face.

How far are you planning to shoot?

I spent a lot of years shooting .338LM and even moved up to a .338LM Improved 40 with a 36" barrel so I could squeeze the most performance I could out of 300gr bullets. That being said, nowadays I shoot a .300 Norma Mag out to the same distances I used to shoot the vanilla .338LM (<2100m) and think it's a better cartridge for that. It's a bit less recoil and has a wider range of bullet options while still using the Lapua bolt face.
Not certain, just toying around with this idea of making the base rifle more enjoyable to shoot.
It started as a super light weight hunter model.
Too light, and stock too skinny to shoot.
Super harsh!

I just changed the stock to a KRG W3.
Now the skinny, light, hunter barrel remains...

A light weight .338LM can kick your ass...er, shoulder.

Yeah, kinda hard to believe it was sold this way, though, I guess for its intended purposes, it is a one shot deal?

Well a 1:12 twist says to me "250gr bullets tops, better closer to 200gr" so for a hunting rig I guess it makes sense.

Proof Carbon Fiber 28" 1/9.4 twist. Love it, shoots great for me. Shooting Berger 300 gr otm.

Reactions: buggz