• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 338LM vs 375 H&H, Cape Buff

Switchblade

muf kin poser
Minuteman
Been looking at calibers that will knock out a Cape Buff. I know 375 H&H is the smallest one would go by recommendations from the Safari gents.
If I am correct though, doesn't the 338LM have the same ability with the bullets it can use? I also think the down range transfered energy is enough as well at ranges of 200 - 400 or so or Cape Buff ranges

Re: 338LM vs 375 H&H, Cape Buff

Generaly there is a restriction in most countries for buff of either 9.3mm or .375. While the .338 Lapua definately has enough energy to get the job done these rules were set up prior to the Lapua round existing. This is also in countries that from my limited experience are about 40-50 years behine the U.S. in most aspects. While I currently have a 375 H&H, I will probably bump up to something a bit bigger when I get the chance to hunt buff. At the closer ranges I'll start trading off a little energy for frontal area and penetration.

With the proper bullets, the Lapua is indeed capable of taking M'bogo, but as already stated, most, if not all, African nations place caliber restrictions on buff and elephant. (Now if you're not hunting the big ugly badasses in Africa, I say load up some flat-nosed solids and wallop 'em!)

Another consideration is the availability of ammunition on the Dark Continent. If your .338 ammo got damaged or "lost", it would be virtually impossible to replace. But every backwoods store in Africa carries .375 H&H. I actually had considered getting a .375 RUM, but decided against it for just this reason.

But hey, the .375 H&H is a lovely cartridge. Recoil is not particularly bad, it shoots very close to the same POI with most weights of bullet, it tends to be extremely accurate, and the trajectory is virtually identicle to the 30-06 (or a long-barreled .308 Winny). Were I forced to pick one cartridge for <span style="font-style: italic">all</span> big-game hunting, it would be at the top of the list.

$10,000 to go then...
grin.gif

I completly agree with Noah Mercy on the 375 H&H and my friends that have been say the 9.3 X 74R is very popular. In years past I have owned several 375's are you going with a double gun or bolt?

+1 on the .375H&H

.338LM as stated is a relatively new cartridge, and you would be hard pressed finding ammo for a lapua magnum is a lot of countries.

There are many that consider the .375H&H to be the ultimate one rifle big game caliber and for that reason you will find ammo for it in the continents that have the big game.

I have taken buff with a 375 H&H and my all time favorite 416 Rigby. No shot was over 75 yards and in heavy brush and grass. Both cartridges are great perfomers and did the job.

High velocity bullets are less predictable and more prone to failure.

I figured all switch needed for a Cape Buffalo hunt was a Bowie Knife, a good bottle of Scotch, an even better cigar and a grill to through the victim on.

Maybe I was wrong
wink.gif

I also would go with the 375 H&H or some thing larger such as a 416 Rigby some thing that you will be able to find ammo for on the dark continent if something were to happen to your ammo. Concerning the 338 LM most rifles in that cambering are set up for long range work and my understanding is that most cape buffalo are taken at relatively short range and may have to be pursued into the thick shit and a long range rig would be less than ideal for such a close up situation not to mention the caliber restrictions in most places you can hutt cape buffalo.

The PH are not as crazy about the 416 as they are about the 375, the 416 has much more felt recoil the the 375, hence your follow up is not as fast. When comes down to it, the will more often like the older low pressure rounds the the fast hard hitting ones.

How about .458win. I love mine. Lots of good rifles and bullets to choose from. Mine is sub moa with both 300gr sierra and 450gr barnes triple shock.