• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 338RUM reamer help!

AutoVerminator

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2007
Twin Cities, Minnesota
Ok, here is the story. I had a rifle put together by a local gunsmith. Rifle is a Rem700 magnum action originally in 300rum. I picked up a Rock 1/9.4 338 cal blank. My smith rented a reamer from reamerrental.com or something along those lines. I measured out my throat once I got the rifle and the chamber has roughly 1/2" of freebore. This is with a 300gr bullet loaded to magazine length on an AICS magazine. The rifle holds MOA w/ the 300gr bullets at 100 yards, but this is not the accuracy I am expecting.

Do I want to send in a dummy round to PTG and get a custom reamer made w/ a .020" throat then send it back to my smith for a rework?

I have not shot any of these loads at magazine length, always loaded them longer. Should I see if accuracy is acceptable w/ a 1/2" jump before it hits the rifling?

Everything I have read is freebore is good for velocity but bad for accuracy. What are your guy's thoughts?

Re: 338RUM reamer help!

hi just try jumping the projectiles first they might shoot realy well. the trouble you are having is the reamer that is not specd to the actual projectile you want to use if it still does not shoot aswell as you like fed through the mag make a dummy round the max length that will feed through your mag and get the chamber reamer made to that length or 20 thou shorter that will allow you to load to the lands and hopefully reach the true potential even with the long throat it should shoot under 1/2,moa if it is a custom have a look elsewhere aswell before recham,bering as bedding or the scope might be an issue with the accuracy at the moment. cheeck everything over before going further. If you do get the reamer made get the neck made 4 thou larget than the loaded dimension and have the throat diameter .3385 and lead angle 1.5 degrees.