• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

33xc decapping die

AlanX

Private
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2022
Arizona
I purchased Tubb's FL die, which has a decapping pin. Several people told me not to use FL dies for decapping because they may cause high runouts. What is an alternative to decap 33XC? The brass won't even fit in my Lee universal decap die :LOL:.

I had a decapping die made for my 375CT by CH4D I am sure they could do whatever diameter die body you need. Just how long it would take to get . Hope this helps.

Reactions: dttheliman
Unless you're referring to the expander ball, I'm not sure how the decapping pin would cause runout.

Unless you're referring to the expander ball, I'm not sure how the decapping pin would cause runout.
No, it does not have an expander ball. Does it cause runout only for this reason? In my understanding, the pressure from decapping while the case is in the die also affects runout?

Last edited:
No, it does not have an expander ball. Does it cause runout only for this reason? In my understanding, the pressure from decapping while the case is in the die also affects runout?

First I've heard of it, and doesn't pass the sniff test unless someone wants to argue otherwise. The pin has already punched the primer by the time the brass is engaging the die - how is that minimal force going to cause runout?

Pulling an expander ball back out through an unsupported neck? I can believe that may cause runout in some cases.

My Harvey Deprimer just barely fits my 37XC, but it's not as easy as with shorter cases. There's not quite enough room to easily get the pin into the flash hole. Still, it does work, just a little slower, and it's not like I'm decapping hundreds of 37XC cases at one time.

First I've heard of it, and doesn't pass the sniff test unless someone wants to argue otherwise. The pin has already punched the primer by the time the brass is engaging the die - how is that minimal force going to cause runout?

Pulling an expander ball back out through an unsupported neck? I can believe that may cause runout in some cases.
Thanks for your input. I have no opinion on this. There just have been a lot of negative comments about decapping with FL dies.

I hardly notice any excessive runout on the neck when I FL and decap with Tubb die. My neck avg runout is 0.002-0.003. I measured with my 21st century tool. I do anneal after every firing.

Reactions: AlanX
I prefer to decap then wet tumble clean. Once the brass is clean I anneal then size. Never like leaving the primer in when cleaning.