• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

.340 weatherby magnum

nagantguy

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Aug 28, 2020
I’m looking at buying a 340 Weatherby, a 30-35 year old MarkV . Comes with some ammo, a few once fired brass and a older weaver scope. I’ve a 7mm WB and a 300 WB, this 340 is the clone of the 70’s era 300 MarkV I already have .
doing some reading seems the 340 is nipping at the heels of 338L .
my hesitation is 3 fold- one while the package price for this very nice rifle isn’t crazy time gouging level it isn’t exactly a deal either.
also don’t really want to try and find reloading components/ dies powder ect for a new caliber in these current times and after spending 2-3 years consolidating calibers .
Lastly - what’s recoil like in an 8ish pound hunting rifle in this large a caliber?
I’m not particularly recoil sensitive or a whimp - (insert appropriate number of bow kills and raw branch press weight here)
But I did for a short time have a 45-70 barrel for my T/C Encore and I don’t know if it was stock design or relative light weight or a combination of the 2 but it was the least fun rifle I’ve ever shot, and after listing for a 45-70 for years it just sucked so much I sold it in pretty short order- even with trap door loads it was more punishing to shoot that my 10gauge.
also I don’t see much here or on the hunting forums about the 340 , any inherent problems such as short barre life or did the round just never catch on cause on paper it looks like a barn burner.
sounds like I’m talking My self out of it doesn’t it?

Just buy it and fill that niche in your Weatherby collection. You'll have some ammo and you have other stuff to shoot while you wait for components and such to become available.