• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

34mm Ring Height for 56mm Objective Scope?

Bangarang

NRA Life Member
Minuteman
Jun 6, 2013
NH
Hey Guys,
What is the general recommended ring height for a 34mm scope with a 56mm objective?
This optic setup will be for load testing for a number of bolt actions, not gas guns.
Thanks, B

I just mounted a gen 2 razor (34mm tube, 56mm objective) on a bolt rifle with a Remington Sendero profile barrel. I used Vortex PMR Rings, 1” Height. There’s at least 1/4” between the bell and the barrel.

if you can calculate, you can do it by your own.
if you cant, tell us what type of mount you will have, what type of picatinny (full rail to the muzzle...) you will have...

Tikka CTR with cheek riser.jpg

Burris XTR Signature rings- 1" on Tikka CTR. Scope has 56mm objective.

If you have adjustable cheek risers go for the 1.125" if not 1" should be fine.
I use both and find 1" just barely has enough room for scope caps and/or covers, a super heavy barrel would likely be an issue with 1" high rings and scope caps.

I’d go 1.1” to be safe with caps and whatever barrel contour you pick

20 MOA wouldn't matter. The 1" will work but you can go 1.1" if you like. I wouldn't go higher unless it's a flat top/flat chassis and then 1.5".

20 MOA wouldn't matter. The 1" will work but you can go 1.1" if you like. I wouldn't go higher unless it's a flat top/flat chassis and then 1.5".
Barrel taper, scope mount and obj covers most certainly matter if you’re doing your own measurements.

Barrel taper, scope mount and obj covers most certainly matter if you’re doing your own measurements.

Possibly but the 20 moa won’t. Also having mounted a couple dozen 34mm 56mm obj scopes on many different rifles I stand by my post.

I don't know what the OP means by "load testing for a number of bolt rifles" in that if it's a test mule, who cares, get 1.5's or higher so it'll clear anything, Strelok/Kestrel/AB doesn't care how tall your rings are, just that you enter the correct height over bore.

If it's for setting up the rifle for actual shooting and living with beyond just testing: remember that you should get your scope as low as possible without hitting the barrel? FUCK THAT. Guys have to stop parroting that nonsense.

There are general parameters to keep in mind, like: most probably don't want to go taller than 1.1" without having an adjustable cheek piece, and most don't want to go higher than 1.26" without a height adjustable butt pad on a bolt gun, and of course don't go so low to hit the barrel, but really beyond that, it's whatever fits YOU, your individual physical size, just like LOP and eye relief, it's not one size fits all.

One could say "most guys" can use 1" rings with a 34mm tube 56mm objective scope and some can even get away with .92" if they'll clear depending on barrel contour, etc ...but "most guys" are 5'7", which is why .92"/1" rings never felt right for me at 6'2" with a watermelon head...

It's a rifle fit thing, not a clear the barrel thing. We don't all wear the same size t-shirt, and we all shouldn't be using the same size rings. So even if your rifle looks super cool where there's barely any room between your caps and barrel, but, you kind of have to mash your face into your stock to get behind your glass... you probably should try higher rings, you might just love it.

Last edited:
Yes, to clarify, it is for a test mule (good description).
I wanted to make sure the rings were not too low for obvious reasons, and not too high either. Most of my buddies' setups are too high to work well for me.
Also I asked because I've only mounted one 34mm sized scope before.

Last edited:
Reactions: CK1.0
Yes, to clarify, it is for a test mule (good description).
I wanted to make sure the rings were not too low for obvious reasons, and not too high either. Most of my buddies' setups are too high to work well for me.
Also I asked because I've only mounted one 34mm sized scope before.

I was just going on a tirade...

I always had my scope slammed low because that's what I was always told was best (and is what guys do)... until only recently when I finally decided to break out of what I knew and take the time to try different rings and find ones that actually fit me.

It's so much better, like an epiphany.

Guys should get the rings that work best for them and not even consider how much gap there is between the objective and barrel (unless it's too close obviously), but that trope persists. I went from .92's to 1.26's (and wouldn't rule out going higher with a different types of chassis'). Now when I see threads telling guys to go as low as they possibly can it makes me cringe (and sometimes go on a tirade).

But, mechanically, the lowest one can go is .92" depending on your barrel profile, rail length, and eye relief. 1" is safe.

I am not one of the old hunter myth “low as possible” guys. I give my recommendation from what will both be clearing mechanically with caps and also comfortable for the shooter. Yes if the shooter has a huge head and stiff neck then maybe higher is better but in my experience I wouldn’t go higher than 1.1” for comfort and clearance. I am also not 5’7” or skinny.

Reactions: CK1.0
But, mechanically, the lowest one can go is .92" depending on your barrel profile, rail length, and eye relief. 1" is safe.

well, if you have normal action (34,5mm), and savage profile (26mm), and normal picatinny (9mm), you can put your scope on picatinny and will barely touch the barrel...

well, 20 MOA inclination means that riflescope will tilt from its length for ~0.1 inch...

And it means nothing in scope ring height when going with 1-1.1”. I have put them on 40 moa. Same rings.