• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 35-40 MOA bases R700LA?

MLC

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 4, 2004
Solebury, PA
I'm getting my thoughts/gear together for my next ELR trip and need to compensate for my scopes lack in internal adjustment.
It's a NF BR scope and I run out of elevation at 1400ish with a 20MOA base.
The reticle in the optic(NPR-2) is a little coarse for solid holds at 1700+.
I was holding 11MOA up for 1700 with my elevation maxed out and my notes indicate 15 MOA for a mile.
I would love to be able to hold for wind only as I think that it would improve my hit %.

I'm guessing I will need new rings as the ones now are Badger med and a 35-40 MOA would probably run that 56mm obj into the barrel.
I've seen that Nightforce made a 35MOA base in the past, can one still get them?
Are there other solutions that are better?

Last edited:
Murphy Precision can make you a base with a custom amount of cant. I had Cameron make a 50MOA base for my Sako Quad in .22LR so the scope would have 2 mils down / 30.5 mils up from a 50Y zero.

Last edited:
I would also recommend Murphy Precision. I have 4 of his bases { 3 with custom cant } and the workmanship and customer service is excellent.

I'm getting my thoughts/gear together for my next ELR trip and need to compensate for my scopes lack in internal adjustment.
It's a NF BR scope and I run out of elevation at 1400ish with a 20MOA base.
The reticle in the optic(NPR-2) is a little coarse for solid holds at 1700+.
I was holding 11MOA up for 1700 with my elevation maxed out and my notes indicate 15 MOA for a mile.
I would love to be able to hold for wind only as I think that it would improve my hit %.

I'm guessing I will need new rings as the ones now are Badger med and a 35-40 MOA would probably run that 56mm obj into the barrel.
I
I've seen that Nightforce made a 35MOA base in the past, can one still get them?
Are there other solutions that are better?

Hmmm adding a 35-40 MOA base is really not going to work. If you have the NF 8-32x56mm you only have 50 MOA of Total Elevation adjustment (25MOA UP and 25MOA down) to work with. You can't take more than 25 MOA from the down side, so adding more slope is not going to give you any more useable up elevation.

The only good solution that exists for your lack of adjustment: Buy a new scope with enough internal adjustment. Your NF scope is an excellent optic, but in this case your just trying to use the wrong tool for the job at hand.

Bob, what your saying is that at a maximum I only have another 5 MOA up to gain?
For clarity my optic is a 12-42x56 BR.

I don't need a 100 yard zero, I'd be happy with a 600 yard zero in this rifle.

Last edited:
Bob, what your saying is that at a maximum I only have another 5 MOA up to gain?
For clarity my optic is a 12-42x56 BR.

I don't need a 100 yard zero, I'd be happy with a 600 yard zero in this rifle.

Even worse, the NF 12-42x56BR has only 40 MOA total elevation, so your already Maxed out. Of course if your happy with a 600 yd zero (not sure how to quantify that zero, but OK) or longer, yes that's one way to do it.

But my opinion holds, great optics, just the wrong tool for the job your expecting from it. IMHO and YMMV

Bob,

From memory, the rifle only needs 8 MOA or so up for 600 from a 100 yard zero.
From my notes it looks like I am using almost all of the internal travel with the existing 20MOA rail as I have comeups that are well over 30 MOA up.
So if I took 20 MOA away from its current 100 yard zero then would that put me at a max of 15 MOA above the top of the reticle(NPR-2) at 22x?
I can live with that, it's a big burly son of a gun that only gets lugged out for the long stuff.

For that reason it lives in its natural habitat, the high desert, not with me in PA.
I am looking for the most economical way extend my precision considering I only use the rifle a couple times a year.
I do agree with your opinion on it not being the best tool for the job.
A 5.5-22 would be much better.
I guess I just need something flatter shooting :p

After a phone consultation today with another smart feller I'm heeding Bob's advice.

I installed the NF base for the HS Precision action on my remy 700LA I believe it is a 40 MOA and I can dial to 2k with it. I just had to redrill and tap the action for the 8-40 screws