• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.350 legend thoughts?

2c1fr

Private
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2017
So what does everyone think about this one now that it has been out over a year lol

I have built a few in both ar and bolt action. They are fantastic for hunting in areas where you need a straight wall cartridge. If you don’t there are much better options. It can be an excellent suppressed subsonic hammer if you get a 10 twist barrel and use maker 280gr bullets. For AR barrels look no further than Mos-Tek.

My 12” worked well on deer last year. The Win factory deer load came apart and I had pieces of lead and copper to pick out of the meat, but it killed well. This year I’ll use solid copper, (assuming I can get some).

I have a KAK 1:16 twist and it does not stabilize the Maker subsonic load. I have not tried the Win subsonic in it because with subsonic I am looking for a quiet hunting load that will expand.

Last edited:
The funny thing I’ve noticed is that Wal-Mart stopped carrying any ammo that works in AR-15s and AsK, but they have 350 Legend, not that Wal-Mart means anything to me in terms of ammo sourcing.

The funny thing I’ve noticed is that Wal-Mart stopped carrying any ammo that works in AR-15s and AsK, but they have 350 Legend, not that Wal-Mart means anything to me in terms of ammo sourcing.
That’s because they have no idea what it is.

All of the Walmart’s near me stopped carrying all ammo over a year ago in some woke moment of virtue signaling. It’s the only reason I ever went there other than to buy the Mobil 1 5 quart jugs they sell.

I just got in a 350 barrel for an eventual build, on a sale that I couldn’t resist. I’ve wanted one since it came out due to an unnatural love affair I have with the ill fated .357 Maximum.

Reactions: sjmpcc022
My 12” worked well on deer last year. The Win factory deer load came apart and I had pieces of lead and copper to pick out of the meat, but it killed well. This year I’ll use solid copper, (assuming I can get some).

I have a KAC 1:16 twist and it does not stabilize the Maker subsonic load. I have not tried the Win subsonic in it because with subsonic I am looking for a quiet hunting load that will expand.
Maker also makes a 220gr that will stabilize in a 16 twist.

The 220gr Maker subs key holed out of my barrel. Kind of strange, but they did so repeatedly. If I want to shoot the Maker 220s I’ll rebarrel with a Mos-tek.

On a good note, I scored a few boxes of Bear Creek Ballistics’ 160gr solid copper ammunition this evening.

The 220gr Maker subs key holed out of my barrel. Kind of strange, but they did so repeatedly. If I want to shoot the Maker 220s I’ll rebarrel with a Mos-tek.

On a good note, I scored a few boxes of Bear Creek Ballistics’ 160gr solid copper ammunition this evening.
Contact Paul at maker, he will help you get it figured out.

Reactions: SBRSarge
Definitely a great option if forced to use straight walled cartridges as previously mentioned. Outside of that I'm not sure of many situations where it would be recommended more than the popular large frame AR cartridges (.308 /6.5 CM etc...).

I built one( AR) for my gun bro last year for Michigan deer season, he goes every year.

Due to a weird circumstance I got to go with him at the last minute. No .350 for me, took the smoke pole.

End of the story, I got one, he got two and planted their asses at 125yds. Well, one went maybe 20yds, the other fell where it was shot. Both spikers, not monsters but good kills.

I was impressed with the round, both accuracy and lethality wise. I'm pretty sure he was using Winchester 150gr Deer slammer or whatever they call their hunting ammo. It did the job.

So..............since we're on the subject, I MIGHT have a chance to go again this year. Any thoughts on what I could buy or put together in this time frame? I have no interest in deer hunting with an AR. My bro's cousin( actually his wife's cousin who owns the Michigan land) has a Savage axis. The stock is a total piece of shit, no mass and no soul. I'm pretty sure that action would drop into a KRG bravo? Then we would maybe have something!

That’s because they have no idea what it is.

All of the Walmart’s near me stopped carrying all ammo over a year ago in some woke moment of virtue signaling. It’s the only reason I ever went there other than to buy the Mobil 1 5 quart jugs they sell.
Go to O'Reilly Auto Parts and ask them to price match Walmart on the Mobil1, or whatever else they got that wallyworld sells for that matter.

Go to O'Reilly Auto Parts and ask them to price match Walmart on the Mobil1, or whatever else they got that wallyworld sells for that matter.
Sure, good idea, except all of the auto parts stores only sell it in gallon jugs (4 qts.) that cost more than the wally that is 5 qts.

Reactions: Earnhardt
I built one( AR) for my gun bro last year for Michigan deer season, he goes every year.

Due to a weird circumstance I got to go with him at the last minute. No .350 for me, took the smoke pole.

End of the story, I got one, he got two and planted their asses at 125yds. Well, one went maybe 20yds, the other fell where it was shot. Both spikers, not monsters but good kills.

I was impressed with the round, both accuracy and lethality wise. I'm pretty sure he was using Winchester 150gr Deer slammer or whatever they call their hunting ammo. It did the job.

So..............since we're on the subject, I MIGHT have a chance to go again this year. Any thoughts on what I could buy or put together in this time frame? I have no interest in deer hunting with an AR. My bro's cousin( actually his wife's cousin who owns the Michigan land) has a Savage axis. The stock is a total pieces of shit, no mass and no soul. I'm pretty sure that action would drop into a KRG bravo? Then we would maybe have something!
That Savage will drop in a KRG really well. I noticed that Magpul just released their Hunter stock for Savage also. Either would be a good option that would get you hunting.

Or you could go Thompson Contender in 350 Legend. 😉

That Savage will drop hin a KRG really well. I noticed that Magpul just released their Hunter stock for Savage also. Either would be a good option that would get you hunting.

Or you could go Thompson Contender in 350 Legend. 😉

Blasphemy Contendor’s are for 357 Maximum!
153A5E2E-3967-472B-8A8D-1CED4D6124A7.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: lash
Blasphemy Contendor’s are for 357 Maximum!
View attachment 7617794
Lolol! I couldn’t agree more, but he didn’t want it in an AR, so I brought up my personal next choice if I wanted to hunt straight wall in Michigan and didn’t have a .357 Max.

You wouldn’t happen to know someone who has a .357 maximum Contender barrel for 1st or second Gen would you?

Lolol! I couldn’t agree more, but he didn’t want it in an AR, so I brought up my personal next choice if I wanted to hunt straight wall in Michigan and didn’t have a .357 Max.

You wouldn’t happen to know someone who has a .357 maximum Contender barrel for 1st or second Gen would you?
No I don't know anyone with a Max contender barrel for sale. The one pictured was the second handgun I ever purchased. I was 19 years old and bought it second hand from an add in the local paper (remember freedom). That was 1989 and it came with a 45 Winmag Super 14 barrel. It still puts 3 shots into an inch @100 using 30 year old factory Rem 158gr & that octagon 3x Lobo.

Also I'm not sure of current Contender barrel quality? The old Super 14's were very good.

The old Dan Wesson 357 Super Mag is also very accurate, but gives up some speed to the 14"

IMG_5446 - Copy.jpg

Funny you guys brought that up................................................

I had a TC, with a .357 Max barrel, among others. sold it a few years ago, who knew?????????????

No I don't know anyone with a Max contender barrel for sale. The one pictured was the second handgun I ever purchased. I was 19 years old and bought it second hand from an add in the local paper (remember freedom). That was 1989 and it came with a 45 Winmag Super 14 barrel. It still puts 3 shots into an inch @100 using 30 year old factory Rem 158gr & that octagon 3x Lobo.

Also I'm not sure of current Contender barrel quality? The old Super 14's were very good.

The old Dan Wesson 357 Super Mag is also very accurate, but gives up some speed to the 14"

View attachment 7618208
If I bought a new .357 Max barrel now, I’d look for the few rare smiths that still somewhat specialize in them. Costs more, but results tend to be superior.

So that brings us back to .350 Legend. 😄

Sure, good idea, except all of the auto parts stores only sell it in gallon jugs (4 qts.) that cost more than the wally that is 5 qts.
NAPA auto parts sells 5qt jugs. Just used one a couple weeks ago. Way better than dealing with Walmart.

NAPA auto parts sells 5qt jugs. Just used one a couple weeks ago. Way better than dealing with Walmart.
Ah yes, the anti-everything crowd is here, yay! Nearest Napa is more than 1/2 hour away and...

71761B3E-DEEA-41A0-80F2-5F0505878CE4.png

Walmart is ten minutes away and...regular price...

113E2011-3CB1-494F-844F-51CDE58F49FE.png

How about you do you and try to focus on the question in the thread and less about me and what I choose to do.

How does Winchester not offer this in a lever action?
I have been thinking Henry, but the same thing. This round seems perfect for the iconic lever actions. I sent in a request that they do one at one point. Not enough demand? Forgotten roots?

I have not looked up to compare, but why not 45-70 if you are looking to lever?
I get what you're saying, but it's a moot point for two reasons: first, who even needs 45-70 for deer, ever? Second, recoil sensitivity is a very real thing with some women and juniors. There's a big difference in the recoil signature. Okay, three reasons; who actually needs a reason to like a particular caliber and want to use it? I mean, the .50 Ball flintlock worked just fine as a meat getter and self defense weapon. Who needs anything different?

Yeah, yeah, I know that was an extreme comparison, but truth is, there are many reasons why people choose to hunt with a particular rifle, caliber, style and that is what makes this great world go round.

I have been thinking Henry, but the same thing. This round seems perfect for the iconic lever actions. I sent in a request that they do one at one point. Not enough demand? Forgotten roots?
It would be understandable if Winchester hadn’t developed the cartridge. But straight walled cartridge and only options are ARs and bolt guns? WTF? Winchester has forgotten their legacy.

You’re missing the point…. For every other manufacturer to offer ARs and bolt guns that’s fine but Winchester is known for 2 things: lever actions and the Model 70 and neither is chambered for their new super cartridge.

It would be understandable if Winchester hadn’t developed the cartridge. But straight walled cartridge and only options are ARs and bolt guns? WTF? Winchester has forgotten their legacy.

You’re missing the point…. For every other manufacturer to offer ARs and bolt guns that’s fine but Winchester is known for 2 things: lever actions and the Model 70 and neither is chambered for their new super cartridge.
You got me there. Even I cannot argue with that. I mean it absolutely should work fine in a number of their actions with little modification. At least it seems like that at first blush.

Reactions: Long Range 338
The 45-70 is too long ( COAL) for the " straight wall only states")

I think if I remember 1.850 is max , at least for Michigan. It all seems pretty stupid and pointless to me.

I hunt in Wisconsin, very wooded, I mostly use a 20ga with a 2X shotgun scope. But............I could use ANY rifle I wanted to. My county used to be shotgun only, but that changed a few years back.

I hunted Michigan last year, every 100 acre field has a box blind in the middle of it , with a guy sitting in there with a slug gun. You can see deer coming for a mile most places there, but slug, smoke pole or Legend. Go MDNR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The 45-70 is too long ( COAL) for the " straight wall only states")

I think if I remember 1.850 is max , at least for Michigan. It all seems pretty stupid and pointless to me.

I hunt in Wisconsin, very wooded, I mostly use a 20ga with a 2X shotgun scope. But............I could use ANY rifle I wanted to. My county used to be shotgun only, but that changed a few years back.

I hunted Michigan last year, every 100 acre field has a box blind in the middle of it , with a guy sitting in there with a slug gun. You can see deer coming for a mile most places there, but slug, smoke pole or Legend. Go MDNR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It’s why I used to hunt Michigan with .357 maximum. It met the rules and took deer down well out to 200 yards or so, no problem. The 360 legend is essentially the same cartridge, but for auto loaders.

The 350 legend is great for folks that hunt in states that put tight restrictions on the center fire rifles you can hunt with, such as Iowa.

For those of us in free states, it is a novelty.

Nothing wrong with having a few novelties in your assortment.

Reactions: Ledzep and lash
The only viable reason to own them is for retarded hunting regs IMO. Even if I lived or hunted in one of those states my desire to hunt with an AR-15 is not strong enough to build one in that cartridge. There are plenty of pre-existing ballistic turds and archaic rifles/pistols already out there.

YMMV, to each his own, wouldn't want to be shot by one regardless, etc...

• Haha
Fortunately My state doesn't have double retarded laws yet. Can still use lead & I've got a 100 rounds of 165 FTX so I'm good for a while.

Pricey, but anyone tried these yet?
600y my ass!
They should be good within 200 though. @ 3x magnification and the area I hunt 200 would be my outer limit.

1620610074571.png

Hammer has a decent option as well & a little cheaper + + velocity.
I'll probably try these first when I get around to reloading.

1620610607632.png
1620610688303.png