• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 20, 2008
Gents,

I've picked up a IMI Timberwolf in .357 Mag with a 20" bbl. I'm considering using this as a close range hunting rifle, pigs and deer.

I'm interested in others hunting experience with this caliber. It seems the extra barrel length adds a lot of potency.

Thanks
Rath

Re: .357 Mag

Thanks Harold.

Did you mean to say you see no reason "not" to hunt with a heavier bullet? Most shots will be well within 100 yards and probably closer to 50.

Cheers
Rath

Use a hot 158 grain self deffense bullet and with the 20" barrel I would not even hessitate to clean a deers clock at 200 yards if your halfway steady.... I hunted with my 686 8 3/8's S&W open site silouette (Is that spelled right?). and even won a 2 1/2 foot trophy with it at a 100 yard comp..The 357 mag is a wonderful round, flat shooting, good knockdown. Your 20"barrel makes this bullet perform just like it would in a 20" barreled marlin / Puma / winchester...just in a more compact weapon. I used to own an IMI 10" barreled 30-06 and on a crappy rest I could still crack of a 1 &1/4" group @100 and I didn't even take the time to try to do better.....It still had alot more potential....Have fun...SmokeRolls

Cheers TSR.

I'll load up some 158gr and 180's and see which the rifle likes best. Should be a blast (pun inended!)

I've got to wait 28 days before I take ownership of the rifle due to our ridiculous gun laws so I'm reading up and purchasing components in the meantime.

Thinking an Aimpoint might be perfect to top the Timberwolf off.

Rath

Rath: Aimpoint, Eotech, it's all good.....since it's a pistol either one is good....I prefer Eotech personally but Aimpoint is top notch......Hows the weather in your part of Australia?
Harold: That 4" barrel is great for what it is, easier to pack around and still has a great payload of hot flying lead..Nothing wrong with that sweetheart of a S&W...... SmokeRolls

Rath does your IMI come with a single point sling that is attached to the bottom of your pistol grip? If it does, loop it around your body and adjust it to where it is tight while you are in your shooting stance, this will help steady your pistol for the shot( the sling will act as an antagonist and it's resistance will help steady the weapon).SmokeRolls

Mate,

I should clarify that I'm referring to this weapon: http://www.theothersideofkim.com/index.php/ggps/6984/

Weather here is great, 4 very distinct seasons. It's fantastic this time of year, blue sky everyday but it's starting to cool down at night. My job is outdoors so I appreciate the cooler weather.

As to using a sling as an antagonist I've always done this when possible. As an archer the benefit of some opposing resistance is obvious. I'm amazed how easy it is to hold the sight pin of my bow on a target when compared to a rifle/pistol.

Rath

Now I understand why I was so wrong.. I've never seen that weapon...Thats cool, a great pack weapon or walk-about weapon. With that I wouldn't even hessitate to put a low magnification scope on it, this will still be quick to get on target but give you a little more precision if needed but a red dot will be a touch quicker for quick shots and follow up shots but not by much if height and eye relief is perfect.. happy hunting and take care Check this scope out, it's a sweet scope and maybe another idea for your rifle http://www.nightforceoptics.com/SCOPES_O...t1-4x24nxs.html
............SmokeRolls

Yea, wish it was 8 inch barrel,I shoot mainly .38's in it. Full house .357 will sing your hands and ears! It's a pump rifle he talking about! # 2400 powder will push a 180 grian bullet 1450 FPS,starting at 7.2 grins,which is 1000fps,out of Hornday book. They make a way more powerful .357 Remington Maximum cartidge. It's for extra strong weapons like the Ruger,T/C.They're using about double the powder,with bullet speeds up to 1800 fps.Stay away from the .357 Remington Maximum cartidge ,too hot!

That's a great scope, would be perfect. I'll look into the local prices.

Thanks for the info.

Harold, it seems 1800fps is easily achievable from a 20' bbl. The load is hot but not crazy hot. I'll work up and chrono a few, I'll keep you posted on results.

Cheers
Rath