• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

357 sig problem

poke5353

Minuteman
Jan 15, 2009
Central Arkansas
It has been a while since I have hand loaded anything. I am loading 357 sig usind hs-6 and speer 125 fmj and golden sabre 147. I am trying to seat the bullet but the bullet just falls through the case neck. I am using a FL die set from RCBS. Any advice would be awesome.

Thanks

Re: 357 sig problem

The necks are not getting sized enough at some point. I don't recall if 357 Sig dies have an expander ball or not. If it does, try taking the expander ball out when sizing. The next thing I'd look at is if when flaring the case mouth, you might be opening up the neck too much. If you're loading on a progressive press, the powder die could be opening the mouth up too much. I'd look at each stage of the loading process to see where the neck is getting too big, and work that problem.

Well i measured the actual bullets and the bottom of the bullets are .355 and about 1/4 in towards the top of the bullet it goes down to about .346. I think the bullet is losing seat at the case neck. Ill have to check some other bullets.

From what i read it is suppose to the 1.135 in length but the closest I can get is about 1.24 or so. IDk I may just give up and shoot factory loads.

A big part of reloading .357SIG is your bullet choice. Your standard round nose does not have enough bullet for the case to grip. Some bullet makers like Montana Gold have specific 125gr's specifically for .357sig. Try another bullet before you give up.

I've always used the Ranier 124 FP and they work well with the .357 sig. I also use a Lee Factory crimp die in final station. You want to make sure that you test your crimps by pressing the bullet firmly into something and check for setback. I loaded 1000 of them about 4 weeks ago on my Pro 2000.

Stick with the FP's or the 357sig specific bullets. I have some gold dots labeled for 357sig. The flat point helps a lot when trying to load to the proper length.
It was/is kinda tricky to load for, I solved my problem by selling my 357 an going with 10mm
wink.gif
Nothing stands a chance now