• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.358 Hoosier Wildcat For Indiana Deer

ssnfa

Sergeant
Minuteman
Ok, first off....yes Indiana has some F'kd up deer regulations. But the point is that this coming 2012 season we have a new regulation that says rifles can be used for deer hunting as long as the cartridge used has a case no longer then 1.8" OAL and a bullet no smaller then .357 in diameter.

So enter the .358 Hoosier!

Parent Cartridge...... .358 Winchester
Modifications.......Cut to 1.8" and Shoulder Moved Back.

HoosierDies01.jpg

So I had a rifle built from a Stevens 200 which consisted of just rebarreling it with a shillen barrel chambered for the .358 Hoosier. It looked good and felt good.....but wasn't me. I sold it the same day it came via UPS.

I then ordered a full custom blueprinted Remington 700 from AJ Brown Arms in Bloomfield, IN which will be KG Gunkoted black. It will have a varmint contour 20" Shillen barrel and a pillar bedded McMillan HTG stock in GAP Camo which I plan to skim coat. It will wear a Ziess Conquest in Warne Rings atop a 20MOA Warne tactical base. (Quite a deer rifle!!)

So I am pumped about this project. Mainly because even though I have been reloading since I was about 14 years old, I have never had to trim cases, set shoulders back, fireform...etc. It will all be new to me and I will probably need some help!!
The gun should look about like this but the bbl/action will be black.

GAP.jpg

btw....mine will be threaded and I am having a custom engraved Thompson Machine suppressor made marked ".358 Hoosier" for the caliber and probably "Hoosier" as the model.

I figured I could play around with trying to load some subsonic 200 or 250 grain round nose or lead loads in the off season.

Re: .358 Hoosier Wildcat For Indiana Deer

I am very interested to see how this turns out and shoots. If you do not post back in this thread try and send me a PM on it. I live about 10 minutes from Bloomfield and my Dad just got that guys business info to look into. Good luck.

For deer hunting,for as few rounds as you would use, it wouldn't hurt to just cut the neck back to the 1.8 length, load to full OAL length and shoot in a standard .358 chamber. JMHO

what other "off the shelf" calibers that can found in non custom rifles would fit this bill of said cartridge AOL?

Why not 450 Bushmaster? Its legal for 2012...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For deer hunting,for as few rounds as you would use, it wouldn't hurt to just cut the neck back to the 1.8 length, load to full OAL length and shoot in a standard .358 chamber. JMHO </div></div>

That's what I was thinking..... Just find a BLR or M77 in .358Win and go.

Then again any excuse to get another rifle is a good excuse!

What about a little taper crimp on that short neck? Or would a standard .308 die crimp that short of a neck?

You could build a 358 IDC (Indiana Deer Cartridge) which is a 25 WSSM necked up to 358. Redding sells dies for it also. Mine looks like this:

IMG_0104.jpg

A pic of the loaded rounds:

DSCF1171.jpg

From the left: parent WSSM factory round, 200 grain Hornady SP, 200 grain TSX, and one more with a Hawk bullet (don't recall the weight). (The last two I don't recall what they are either..)