• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 358 winchester barrel length / profile

Carphunter

Private
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2008
Not a target gun... but this seems like a good place to pick people's brains

Gotta pick the optimum length and profile for barrel.
Gun will be used for spot and stalk / stand hunting gun. Looking at the range of stocks available for the new centerfeed short action.

I was thinking barrel length of 21" but if I don't lose lots of velocity or accuracy, I could go slightly shorter (probably down to 19" at the most). I lost some posts where someone said what the loss/gain of fps on barrels in this cal is (supposedly, it wasn't the same as a 308-style gun).

I was thinking I'd go with a #5 or #6 sporter or light or medium palma profile barrel from pac nor or the equivalent from lothar walther. Trying to pick the weight that will give me a light barrel for carry, but enough barrel so that it eats some recoil, and isn't super temperamental at the range due heat, etc. Also need to consider balance with the stock.

So, thoughts? or should I take this hunting gun talk elsewhere
smile.gif

Re: 358 winchester barrel length / profile

I've got a .358 based on a remington 700 with a 22" barrel. Stock is 13.25" length of pull. For me it handles very well, is easy to carry, points well and shoots well. Barrel is a Krieger #4 contour.

Hope that helps!

Another vote for #4 contour, both a Shilen and a Lilja at 22".

Although it would appear you're talking about a Savage - in that case, for ease of manufacture and stock fitting, I'd likely order a factory magnum(375 H&H) contour from McGowen.

Reading Krieger's spec's, they recommend no less than a #6 contour. But, maybe they've changed their designations.

from the site, doesn't look like they do savage pre-fits, though. I'll have to give a call.

Also eyeballing McGowen's site (or trying to...god that's not browser friendly).