• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 36mm rings question for ZCO ....... Tru-Loc vs ARC M-Brace ?

jh2785

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2021
Fort Worth, TX
Gentlemen, I've searched the forum, and forgive me if this has been covered. I'm looking to get a set of low rings for my ZC420 and I've narrowed it down to the ARC M-Brace .94" rings or the a pair of the ZCO Tru-Loc .98" height rings. I noticed that the Tru-Loc's have 4 screws to attach the ring tops and 2 screws for the pic rail. That's 12 fasteners TOTAL total for the Tru-Loc's. The ARC M-Brace....on the other hand.....has a hinge that comes together to close the rings on the 12 o'clock position of the scope......and it's closed with ONE screw (a Torx or a hex?) and ONE fastener that connects to the base to the pic rail for a total of 4 fasteners for the ARC's.

This may be a noob question........but is the ARC less "secure" than the Tru-Loc? I mean, I'm not all that concerned about a screw backing out......but 12 screws seems more "sure" than 4 screws......and two recessed fasteners at each ring base seems more reliable than one exposed screw at each base ..........

I over analyzing this? Is the ARC M-Brace a very reliable system and no one has had any issues with these backing out or any issues with it only being 4 fasteners vs the 12 in the Tru-Locs?

(random internet pic of both sets included)

Thanks for your expert advice and expertness all around 😎

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-04 at 11.10.01 AM.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-02-04 at 11.10.01 AM.jpeg
    179 KB · Views: 61
Torx for the M Brace. I've had no issues with it not being secure, and not heard of any so far. Perhaps other have...

eta: Just realized you were taking about rings and not the 1pc mount. All I'm buying from now on is ARC.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stoweit and jh2785
That is a VERY LARGE, very thick screw. In terms of torque, the single large screw may be significantly stronger.

I used the run the M10s (previous generation M-Brace) and didn't ever have issues with them running thousands of rounds of 6.5 & .308 with them. I would run M-Brace without hesitation personally.

I am not familiar with Tru-Loc, but I know the NF Ultralite and Seekins style 4 screw rings hold perfectly as well. The design for 4 screws is proven.

Not sure there is a real difference in performance in terms of design/engineering assuming the Tru Loc are reliable/hold zero.

My only question is whether you want that height rings for the "paper thin space between bell & barrel" or have a non-adjustable cheekrest... ;)

Reactions: jh2785
That is a VERY LARGE, very thick screw. In terms of torque, the single large screw may be significantly stronger.

I used the run the M10s (previous generation M-Brace) and didn't ever have issues with them running thousands of rounds of 6.5 & .308 with them. I would run M-Brace without hesitation personally.

I am not familiar with Tru-Loc, but I know the NF Ultralite and Seekins style 4 screw rings hold perfectly as well. The design for 4 screws is proven.

Not sure there is a real difference in performance in terms of design/engineering assuming the Tru Loc are reliable/hold zero.

My only question is whether you want that height rings for the "paper thin space between bell & barrel" or have a non-adjustable cheekrest... ;)
Thank you for the info. The M-brace is so popular that if there were any issues I'm sure it'd be all over the forum. So I assume they're G2G....but still the question comes to mind, "4 fasteners vs 12....?"

I run this on an AR10 but I'd like to have rings for if I ever put it on hunting rifle, where the barrel tapers down from the receiver and there's good clearance for it.

Thank you for the info. The M-brace is so popular that if there were any issues I'm sure it'd be all over the forum. So I assume they're G2G....but still the question comes to mind, "4 fasteners vs 12....?"

M-Brace
Torque spec: 6.2 Nm (55 in-lbs) on scope clamp and rail mount screws.

vs

Thank you for contacting Nightforce Optics. Our ring cap screws have an 8/40 thread pattern and use a T15 bit to tighten them down to the required 25 inch pounds.

----

M-Brace likely uses a medium sized hex key for the bolt/screw which is MUCH thicker than the small screws used on the 4 screw designs

Think of it as a single metal hose clamp vs 10 small zip ties... there is only one hose clamp but it is FAR stronger

or

4x 125mm shells from a T-72 tank

vs

12x .50BMG rounds from a Barret MRAD rifle

1 A10 Warthog
vs
6 AK74s on the ground

If it freaks you out to go with the single bolt design, go with the multiple screws. You don't want to have that ? of reliability banging around in your head. Not worth it to go that route.

but remember that the rings themselves bolt to the pic rail with either one large bolt/screw () or 2 medium sized ones (Seekins & Tru Loc)

Do what allows you to sleep better at night and focus on shooting, equipment should never get in your way or distract you from focusing on your fundamentals.