• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

375/408 Cheytac accuracy

Moonraker

Private
Minuteman
Jul 15, 2007
Gridley, CA
I'm debating having one of these made. Exactly how accurate is the rifle? I know the shooter is 90% of it, but if the shooter can handle it, what kind of MOA accuracy are these? I've heard that Cheytac actually creates the civilian version of their M200's less accurate than the military version, but I figure that's just a myth. Also, I don't plan on spending $12,000+ for a Cheytac. I'm planning on having Robert Schyder make me one soon.

Re: 375/408 Cheytac accuracy

With the right bullets and the right barrel specs, it can be extremely accurate at distances no other cartridge can touch. That simple.

Here's some pics.

330 Lehighs at 1000 yards.A 4" four shot group and a 6" four shot group.It was windy that day,12-16 mph.
DSC00119.jpg

Here's a steel at 1450 yards.My friend and I were both shooting.The smaller copper colored splats were the 375CT.The bigger ones were from a 30 cal.Again windy conditions.
DSC00178.jpg

This was shot at both 2000 and 2500 yards with mostly 350 grain Hooker solids.Reasonably calm conditions.If you look close you will notice some group patterns.We didn't have time to repaint the steel between distances.We were just listening for the clannnggg in the distance to know that we hit the steel.So darn far away!
DSC00140.jpg

It took some time to figure out the best loads but the 375CT sure works well at Extreme range.

Steve

There is a 408 CT in a McMillan stock version that is about 1/2 the cost of an M200. Don't know about its accuracy compared to the M200.

Had a chance to shoot Steve123's 375 Chey Tac. All I can say is I want one.

Mine was built by Lawton. It shoots around half moa with some experimental solids out to 1000. I havent done enough shooting past 1000 to comment. It has an 8 twist and most of the lead core bullets came apart. In my opinion this rd. is still in its infancy and the best is yet to come.

what twist are you running in that gun, what do you recommend? thanks!! Whats the neck clearance in the chamber? who built that rifle?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stenger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what twist are you running in that gun, what do you recommend? thanks!! Whats the neck clearance in the chamber? who built that rifle? </div></div>

It's the 11.5 twist lost river bore from Lawton Machine.I had him build the whole rifle system,dies and all.

It's got .003 neck expansion on a fired case.As far as the freebore,I don't know.The throat is worn foreward but the rifle just seems to shoot better than it used to so I haven't checked it.

My rifle and my friends 375CT shot the 350SMK's absolutely horrible no matter what we did.

The lehigh 330's shoot well seated waaayyyy out.They did not shoot well seated deeper.For some weird reason they shoot excellent to a mile and then they whack out at 2000Y???The load density is poor though and there's ignition problems sometimes.Sometimes not???

The Hooker 350's,which are similar to the old Lost River 350 solids shoot fantastic!They just sail like crazy and flat out work well at extreme ranges!!!!

When DesertHK and I went out we shot at an AR400 steel plate at 1000Y.When I went to get the steel The Hookers had put some noticeable dents in it.I was surprised because the lehighs did not.

These are the only bullets I've tried.So far I'd recommend the 11.5 twist and Hookers for all out performance!

My 375CT is set up as a bench rifle.

DSC00132.jpg

Steve

Your starting to worry me now. I have 600 375/350gr smk's I bought up planning on shooting them through my lawton w/lostriver bore 11.5 twist when I get it. The solids are just so dang expensive. I guess if you want the best accuracy you have to pay good money for it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: demolition51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your starting to worry me now. I have 600 375/350gr smk's I bought up planning on shooting them through my lawton w/lostriver bore 11.5 twist when I get it. The solids are just so dang expensive. I guess if you want the best accuracy you have to pay good money for it. </div></div>

I've read where others have had good accuracy with them in Lost River bores??

Who knows?Maybe they'll work fine in yours.

Steve

i have been trying to get some hookers for my 50 for months and can not get them. I also wanted to get some 338 270 grain bullets cant get them either. whats up with that company. i have tried many solids with drive bands and i can never get them to shoot. What kind of groups are you getting at say 100 yards if you shoot that close. I come from a strong benchrest back ground and i am still having a hard time not doing initial testing at 100 then i test to 600 yards for groups. I always get terrible groups at 100 with solids except for the hookers i have tried. i just find it hard to believe that a group of 1 moa at 100 will shoot .5 moa at 600.

I am shooting the 370 grain Rocky mountain hunting bullet in my 375. Have only shot them out to 1400 but they shoot very well. I have 1 box of Hookers i have not tried yet. Take a look at the rocky mountains he has some target bullets also. The BC on the hunting bullets is like 940 and they have alum tips machined on them.

http://www.rmbullets.com/index.html

Are any of you guys shooting the 375 having much luck with the jamison solids?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GLOWWORM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am shooting the 370 grain Rocky mountain hunting bullet in my 375. Have only shot them out to 1400 but they shoot very well. I have 1 box of Hookers i have not tried yet. Take a look at the rocky mountains he has some target bullets also. The BC on the hunting bullets is like 940 and they have alum tips machined on them.

http://www.rmbullets.com/index.html </div></div>
I noticed that the reccomended twist rate on the Rocky 370's is a 10.5 twist. Do you think that the 11.5 twist will stabilize the 370 gr bullet?

Yes i am shooting the 11.5 lost river bore from Lawton...Shot well enough i havent fooled with anything else. Yes they will stabilize..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stenger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have been trying to get some hookers for my 50 for months and can not get them. I also wanted to get some 338 270 grain bullets cant get them either. whats up with that company. i have tried many solids with drive bands and i can never get them to shoot. What kind of groups are you getting at say 100 yards if you shoot that close. I come from a strong benchrest back ground and i am still having a hard time not doing initial testing at 100 then i test to 600 yards for groups. I always get terrible groups at 100 with solids except for the hookers i have tried. i just find it hard to believe that a group of 1 moa at 100 will shoot .5 moa at 600. </div></div>

Haha...That's how it is with all the solids I've shot!I sure wasted allot of projectiles,powder and primers "$$$" finding that out.I quit shooting them all at 100 yards and even 200 yards.I pick a calm day and shoot for groups at 400 yards.For instance my gun shoots the same size groups at 200Y as 400Y.I guess it just takes that long for the bullets to fully stabilize???

The first time I bought the Hookers,2.5 years ago,I paid $1.70 a piece and the last time I called for a price,1 year ago,they had raised the price to $3.68 a piece,@#$$%^&.That's why I decided to try the Lehigh's.They were a bargain a year ago at $1.15 a piece.I haven't tried to contact Hooker since.Maybe they went out of business in the mean time???

Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: demolition51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are any of you guys shooting the 375 having much luck with the jamison solids? </div></div>

I could be wrong but I think they are nearly identical to the Hookers.

Steve

You're right, high aspect ratio bullets often shoot better at longer distances than they do up close. BUT: they should shoot a predicatable pattern, not vertical or horizontal stringing up close. If the fall into a nice, round group at 100 yards, they'll group nice and round downrange as well, and where they are most stable, the groups will be the smallest. I look as much as the pattern I'm getting as the group size when woking on LR and ELR rigs.

A chronograph helps a lot too.

Steve, do you have the load info for the Lehighs here and your barrel info?/

zman

The major names in .408 all produce very accurate rifles.

Been getting some very good reports with the Vigilance VR1 lately from some customers.

as a side note,

TSW is currently developing a new 408 can that we'll be offering in conjunction with the XM408 as a package - you can check out some photos they posted of them testing the first design here:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/album.php?aid=232776&id=179515038688&ref=mf http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/album.php?aid=232776&id=179515038688&ref=mf

Hey guys, I have been working with Hooker Tactical for quite a few months now,doing production and testing. We are re-tooled and we are getting some great results with our cnc lathe-turned solids. We found that the .375's do shoot better at longer ranges, with acceptable short distance too. I shot a 2 inch group at a 100 with them, and a 2.75" in group at 500 with them. Have taken them out past 1600 yds with great results. Nice thing with these is that they stay supersonic way past 2000 yards,which means accuracy remains good. The Lawton's with 1 in 11.5 twists have worked great for us. We have or will have shortly, solids in .308, .338, .375, and .50. All have high BC's and just fly forever!

I don't know if Hookers 375 cal 350gr solids are different from 2 years ago when I bought my last batch but I was 5 hits out of 8 on a 21" wide steel plate at 2000 yards last weekend.3 of the shots were a 4" group.Those things sail!

I can vouch for that. I was there. Definitely impressive.

Thanks for backing me up DesertHK.

I really like that Windrunner 50 of yours! Sure makes a huge splat with those 750Amax
smile.gif

DHK,I forgot to mention I learned a valuable lesson,LOL
laugh.gif
Never shoot side by side prone next to a 50BMG.I had dirt in my eyes,ears and nose.Kinda like being behind the dog when he's digging a hole in the back yard.I probably should have taken my 375CT into the shower with me too,LOL.
smile.gif

Robert Snyder at RW Snyder Guns & Gunsmithing did a fantastic job with my 375 build. Still waiting on the scope, but should be off and running soon!

390252872.jpg

And Alpha is making the mags for him, if you need some, hit him up. Have confidence with Robert, great guy, great guns...

Bulldog,

That is a very pretty stick. Let us know how it shoots! If you need good solids, Hookertactical has them available on the website.

Mmmmmmmm .375CT.... i would love to own one of these

Considered having a custom lawton built in .375CT...

If i get a new job in the next year that pays more, its a given and Im going to buy one.

End of rant

laugh.gif

anyone with a 375 ct that shoot the rocky 370 gr. do they like to jump or be jammed? and about how much retumbo?

thanks