• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

375/408 makers?

Jong

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 7, 2009
Petoskey MI
Well I am looking at buying a 375/408 and would like to know what you guys would pick. Not going to buy it anytime soon but starting to look at what options there are out there. I know Desert Tactical makes one now but really can't justify spending $7k on just the rifle alone when I can get the one below and a sweet scope for the same price.

Really considering picking one of these up.
http://www.rwsnydergunsmithing.com/secure-rwsnydergunsmithing/Scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=61

So who else should I consider. Looking at spending around $4k.

Re: 375/408 makers?

DebosDave has either 1 or 2 for sale. I know one of them has hardly any rounds through it. You might want to check with him and save a few bucks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RussW1911 ®</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DebosDave has either 1 or 2 for sale. I know one of them has hardly any rounds through it. You might want to check with him and save a few bucks. </div></div>

Unfortunately I will can't buy a rifle right now. Have a little while till I will be able to afford one.

So what is the reason for the post Jong?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jong</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RussW1911 ®</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DebosDave has either 1 or 2 for sale. I know one of them has hardly any rounds through it. You might want to check with him and save a few bucks. </div></div>

Unfortunately I will can't buy a rifle right now. Have a little while till I will be able to afford one.</div></div>

I am bored and was curious as to what is out there? I am sitting in Iraq right now with not much to do. Was thinking about maybe ordering a rifle in the next few months, just can't spring for it right now.

Jong, first of all thanks for your service bro. Secondly, good to research what is out there before you make a purchase which is exactly what you are doing. I had an EDM XM-04 in 408CT which is a great rifle but was too heavy for me to hump around. Only my opinion but the RWS Gunsmithing 375/408 would be an excellent choice for the money. I am planning on getting a DTA HTI in 375/408 when I can afford one because I like the bullpup design and overall feel of it. regards, Dale.

I would be all over that if it were a repeater action as oppose to the single shot.

It is a repeater 5 shot maganize for the HTI. Saw it at SHOT and that's what she is and glad for it.

Jong, I have a Lawton 8000, Manners stock, with two barrels, one is an 8 twist and the other is a 6.5-13 Bartlein. I have been testing some solids with the set-up. The rifle weighs 15 lbs w/o optics. I am going to build another in the 10.5 to 11 lb. range and may sell the one I have now. Anyway If you are still looking when you get home, give me a shout. I will do you right on this if I decide to sell it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Augustus</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Jong, I have a Lawton 8000, Manners stock, with two barrels, one is an 8 twist and the other is a 6.5-13 Bartlein. I have been testing some solids with the set-up. The rifle weighs 15 lbs w/o optics. I am going to build another in the 10.5 to 11 lb. range and may sell the one I have now. Anyway If you are still looking when you get home, give me a shout. I will do you right on this if I decide to sell it. </div></div>

Just to let you guys know, I have been over here with the Marines in 05. However, right now I am here as a medic on a State Dept contract and really enjoy the work and the paycheck. I just am researching want I want and figured you guys here would know what is it out there.

Augustus, anyway you can show some pics? Would love to know what you are putting together!!!

What does a gunsmith do other than put together a rifle? Reason I ask is would I be losing much in accuracy if I bought all the components and put a rifle together myself? I am kind of new at all this but am reasonably mechanical inclined.

the 375 I would look at a lawton, you dont need a repeater for the 375 in that the flight time at the distance your shooting takes a while plenty to get another shell in . get a lawton single shot left hand port this helps a lot

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Stoffels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the 375 I would look at a lawton, you dont need a repeater for the 375 in that the flight time at the distance your shooting takes a while plenty to get another shell in . get a lawton single shot left hand port this helps a lot </div></div>

Why the left hand port? Just asking out of curiosity.

For guns on the bench and in a rest it works good but other than that.....

You can buy an action, barrel, stock and muzzle break, send it to the smith of your choice. You can get a nice one built for under 3000 USD.

You can buy an action, barrel, stock and muzzle break, send it to the smith of your choice. You can get a nice one built for under 3000 USD.

if you are considering singles, look at ferret50 also. They will do 375/408 with supermatch barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jong</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What does a gunsmith do other than put together a rifle? Reason I ask is would I be losing much in accuracy if I bought all the components and put a rifle together myself? I am kind of new at all this but am reasonably mechanical inclined. </div></div>

Jong there is more to building a rifle then just screwing it together. On a custom rig a smith will cut the chamber (to your specs if desired), cut the threads, ensure everything is square and tolerances are tight (then correct if needed), etc.... The point is that there is a good bit of machine work involved in putting together a solid precision rifle. Thus unless you have access to a lathe and know how to use it building you own rifle is not advisable.

This is what i am doing. Lawton barrel(375)and action, Mcree folding alunium stock, rifle basix trigger.Around 3K