• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.375 Chey Tac Powder Options

.375Mojave

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
I have a .375 CT improved with a significant case capacity increase and I am looking for some powder options.

I am currently using Retumbo but even with 140 gr I have a lot of reserve capacity and would be interested to try a slower burning powder that would come closer to a 90%+ capacity load.

VV M170 has already been eliminated from the list. It is slower burning according to the charts but I am told the results were not as good as Retumbo.

Has anyone done much with the H50BMG in a 375 CT?

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Re: .375 Chey Tac Powder Options

I've used RL-25 extensively with mine but I start to get compressed powder around 130gr.

How about US-869? I never got around to trying it in my old standard 375 CT, but I know steve123 on here ran some of it for a while. You might PM him and see what he has to say.

.375Mojave,

I've tried US-869 in my regular 375CT.

Max load with a sticky bolt was 151 grains with the Hooker 350's. 147-148 grains seemed about right.There was a gain of over 100 fps with US-869 compared to the R-25,around 3200 fps.

It provides good load density and ignited better than most powders but might be sensitive to temperature?That's what they say anyways.

Steve

By all indications the 50 BMG looks good but have not tried it yet. I have a buddy using it in a 338-408 with good results....anybody got some give it a try and post results

How did the US-869 group as compared to the R-25 and/or Retumbo?

I might try to snag some of the US-869 and the R-25. I have a lot (maybe too much) case capacity and while Retumbo seems to have a good reputation, even at 144 grains I am a little low on load density. It may be OK but I would like to experiment a bit with some other powders to try and fill this monster up.

I have yet to get pressure signs (sticky bolt, flattened primers) even from 144 gr of Retumbo so I still want to push that a bit but so far accuracy seemed to drop off after I got above 140gr of Retumbo. It could improve as I push the limit. I have had guns/loads that grouped best at max and others that were most accurate with a 3% to 5% reduction.

I appreciate the feedback guys.