• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report .375 cheytac 3k yds

jroberts

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2007
dover,delaware
i know of a group of guys who are building a rifle for a 3000yd attempt on a prairie dog this fall....now before u guys say thats impossible keep in mind this rifle isnt going to b tactical at all...its suppose to weigh something like 50 lbs and ride on some sort of rail rest....but what i want to know is it even really possible with this caliber can it stay supersonic that long...and will the bullet stay stable enough to hit something that small that far away

Re: .375 cheytac 3k yds

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cmonroe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How many attempts will equal success? I&#146;ll bring the chips.</div></div>

I'd suggest two bags....and a drink...you might be there a while.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NineHotel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The law of large numbers supports that about anything is possible given enough time.</div></div>

Is that like the monkeys using typewriters analogy?

if i stand on my porch and throw rocks at my neighbor's chihuahua for a year I'll eventually hit it...I like that better than monkies and typewriters

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NineHotel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The law of large numbers supports that about anything is possible given enough time.</div></div>

Is that like the monkeys using typewriters analogy? </div></div>

Occam's Razor

Chuff I watched the girl on the left probably 15 times before I realized. She's amazing.

Damn, I have a BAT action on the way with a 408 Cheytac boltface. Was hoping this tread had some good info.
Guess I'll look for another thread after I look at her rack a few more times.
Mike C

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cockcroft</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn, I have a BAT action on the way with a 408 Cheytac boltface. Was hoping this tread had some good info.
Guess I'll look for another thread after I look at her rack a few more times.
Mike C </div></div>

Well considering that its never been done before, what kind of info were you expecting?

Seriously, it's shooting like this that expands the parameters of shooting and what is possible. 1500 yards was a "impossible" shot 15 years ago.

A good action plus these cartriges, give rise to new challenges and new possibilities. I think that its a great idea.

they are really putting alot of money and effort into this....ill post info pics and video...as soon as i have it...we are going to south dakota in sept to try for 3k but are gunna begin testing soon..

Sounds like they are building an artillery piece not a rifle. Depending on how far away the chihuahua is you may never hit it unless you employ a larger, more accurate weapon.

im glad im not buying the reloading components for this attempt.i wonder how many three dollar slugs it will take?

well i do know that sierra donated a couple hundred bullets and another smaller company donated some all bronze hand turned bullets.....im sure that helped with the cost...as for the powder brass and everything else i def wouldnt want to foot that bill...lol

Unless Sierra has something new, their 350gr HPBT's will not make it to 3k. They will need to use the solids at that distance.

The solids will not quite stay supersonic to 3k, but will be REAL close.

The advantage is that they will not spin out after going subsonic, and retain stable flight.

So, yes, this is very possible. I think the results will surprise people.

Does it really matter if the bullet stay's supersonic?With distances this far,and targets that small,I think you would have a better chance if the bullet went into a wobble,then you would have a wider projectile,and more likely to hit it.This shot will be 20% set up,and 80% luck.

Dont know about 3k, but at least 250gr 338 Lapua Scenar does subsonic transition smoothly with 12" twist- and flies predictabily at least up to 2200yds.
So boolet doesent necessarily have to be solid- and I woudnt be surprised if purpose-build rifle would shoot well up to 3000yds.

Naturally, wind/coriolis/Magnus etc mess up thing easily with such a long time of flights.
But bullet always hit where it should, IMO problem is if taking all variables into account virtually possible or not.

Whats the BC, weight and velocity of the .375 for the solids?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dont know about 3k, but at least 250gr 338 Lapua Scenar does subsonic transition smoothly with 12" twist- and flies predictabily at least up to 2200yds.
So boolet doesent necessarily have to be solid- and I woudnt be surprised if purpose-build rifle would shoot well up to 3000yds.

Naturally, wind/coriolis/Magnus etc mess up thing easily with such a long time of flights.
But bullet always hit where it should, IMO problem is if taking all variables into account virtually possible or not.

</div></div>

Well i dont think that 3k is a goal that can be made with any type of jacketed bullet on the market. Problem with these is the heavy core takes away from the BC of the Projectile. Thats why solids are so much more efficient at long ranges. Once you get a jacketed bullet so long its almost impossible to get it to stabilize and not fly apart when trying to reach the MV's needed to shoot that kind of distances.

I'm thinking for something like this they're probably going to have to employ a spotter close to the target to spot impacts and direct shifts in fire. All sounds interesting to me.

TY

gubica...

"Unless Sierra has something new, their 350gr HPBT's will not make it to 3k. They will need to use the solids at that distance. <span style="font-weight: bold"> The solids will not quite stay supersonic to 3k, but will be REAL close. The advantage is that they will not spin out after going subsonic, and retain stable flight.</span> So, yes, this is very possible. I think the results will surprise people."

Concerning this statement. The 350 gr. solids will NOT make 3000 yards unless the air temperature is over 100 deg F, OR the air pressure is <27.50. If the those conditions are standard or less, the supersonic range is 2800 yards or less, with a nominal velocity of 3050 to 3150 fps.

Also, these long solids will NOT fly smoothly through transition unless "Balanced Flight" is in effect. That is only measurable on radar, or a couple of unofficial field methods that take a minimum of 75 shots downrange to establish to a statistical significance, whether they are transitioning smoothly or not.

Agreed, they solids will get REAL close, but only the solids made by Jamison or Cheytac, not the Barnes solids, nor any jacketed bullet.

A correction that needed to be made.

Trigger

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triggerfifty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">gubica...

"Unless Sierra has something new, their 350gr HPBT's will not make it to 3k. They will need to use the solids at that distance. <span style="font-weight: bold"> The solids will not quite stay supersonic to 3k, but will be REAL close. The advantage is that they will not spin out after going subsonic, and retain stable flight.</span> So, yes, this is very possible. I think the results will surprise people."

Concerning this statement. The 350 gr. solids will NOT make 3000 yards unless the air temperature is over 100 deg F, OR the air pressure is <27.50. If the those conditions are standard or less, the supersonic range is 2800 yards or less, with a nominal velocity of 3050 to 3150 fps.

Also, these long solids will NOT fly smoothly through transition unless "Balanced Flight" is in effect. That is only measurable on radar, or a couple of unofficial field methods that take a minimum of 75 shots downrange to establish to a statistical significance, whether they are transitioning smoothly or not.

Agreed, they solids will get REAL close, but only the solids made by Jamison or Cheytac, not the Barnes solids, nor any jacketed bullet.

Trigger </div></div>

Please explain the physics on why a solid will maintain stability post-transonic while a jacketed(and Barnes solid) will not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phil1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triggerfifty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">gubica...

Trigger </div></div>

Please explain the physics on why a solid will maintain stability post-transonic while a jacketed(and Barnes solid) will not. </div></div>

+1 ?

And again, my knowledge limits only in Lapua 338 Scenar, 250gr.
But it does transition smoothly -just wondering why it should be only jacketed?

<span style="font-weight: bold">Quote:</span>

Used rifle was bone-stock TRG42, 12" twist factory barrel.
Bullet 250gr Scenar, loaded at 2970fps.
Trajectory calculations were made with Quick Target Unlimited, used with
Lapua bullet specific "Cd" -values.

<span style="font-style: italic">He was shooting some torso-size reactive targets at 1600, 1800 and 2000meters.
- 1600 meters: hit at first shot.
- 1800meters: elevation correct, 19" right. Hit at second.
- Last 2000meters (2187yds/1,24miles) target: elevation correct, 27" right. Hit at second shot... 20 guys behind were dead silent...including spotter... </span>

Whole story in http://www.longrangeresearchinstitute.com

I'd like to know what pill they will be firing - I'll try them in my 375 RUM with 30" Lilja #8 contour.

I used to shoot gophers @300 yards with my factory 06 - all you need to do is hit within 16" in front of them. The dirt shrapnel will disembowel them. Does that count as a hit?

Can someone supply a link to the project?

Wow... put a paper target at 3000 yards, and post a picture when you have 2 consecutive shots, including a CBS within center mass of a ground hog - then I'll be amazed... thats 3k hunting, anyting else is just theory + poor hunting ethics..

I got $500 on the prarie dog lives to at least round num 20

On a serious note,how are they going to be able to tell whether or not a miss was because of wrong input for corrections, change in wind etc, shooter error or any of the countless variables that are going to come into factor at that range?

It will be interesting to hear if they can end up getting consecutive hits at that far, or cb shots. Good luck

hey guys i got an update today...the rifle is finished and its about 65lbs wow....they are just starting load development and everything looks good...im getting some pics tomorrow and ill try to post them

ok its tomorrow how about pics haha

- John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jroberts</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hey guys i got an update today...the rifle is finished and its about 65lbs wow....they are just starting load development and everything looks good...im getting some pics tomorrow and ill try to post them </div></div>

and?

I dont think there are pics

someone is smoking some rock...

why dont they just move a little closer to the target?

smile.gif

How do they plan to aim? Is there a rifle scope with enough elevation and windage that is clear out to 3K? I would imagine mirage would obscure the target.

In fact, how would one even know the prarie dog is at 3K? Is there a laser range finder that reaches out that far for an object that small?