• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

375 Cheytac....IT'S ALIVE, RANGE REPORT TO FOLLOW!!

hognuts

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
It's alive! Looking forward to sending some rounds down range! See how far we can push our ELR game!

Stiller TAC 408 action, Benchmark no contour 1.250" Barrel sprial fluted, Ross Schuler Brake, Jewel Trigger, McRee Chassis in multi-cam by Custom Gun Coatings, 7 Round Mag, Atlas Bipod, BT accu-shot mono-pod, McRee stock pack, Ivey 150 MOA rings, Stiller 20 MOA base, NF 8x32x56 scope.

Going to run 350 grain SMK's and see how far we can push those before I try any of the solids.

She is a beauty! Barreled action is going to get Cerakoted OD green with black inside the spiral flutes, BUT I have to shoot it first! :) Branden from Custom Gun Coatings did my chassis, turned out awesome!

Just curious, why so tall on the rings?

Those are the Ivey 150 MOA rings, they have 150 MOA of adjustment built in, with that you pay a height penalty! I wanted to try em and see how they work to try to get the most out of the set-up. The 8x32x56 doesn't have alot of internal adjustment, but I like the magnification, we shall see....

I had already found last night that my OAL on test rounds was too long. Made a dummy round with no primer to function test the mag and to see how it fed, OAL was too long and I was jamming them into the lands.

I had taken OAL from Cheytac's site for some of their loaded ammo, but I see now that was for the solids, they don't list an OAL for the SMK's listed. I think the shortest length I had loaded was 4.250" (4.303" was listed for Cheytac's 350 grain solids.) I ended up seating them back to 4.190" , haven't found out where the lands are exactly, going to use a spent case to build a tool to check OAL and definitively find them.

Nice lookin' stick. Its in one of the two calibers Im considering for my next buy/build, so Id love to hear how it shoots, especially with the SMK's.

Last edited:
H50BMG is just a tad bit too slow, in my opinion. If the case was slightly bigger or you were pushing something closer to 400gr, it would be a good option. And H1000 is a tad fast in a .375, though excellent for .338LM. I think Retumbo and RL25 will be better options, though I personally like N570. Another one to consider is RL33 as it fits a sweet spot between RL25 and H50BMG (or RL50).

All I can tell you up to this point as far as range reports go is this: If you have an opportunity to trade some CCI Large Rifle Primers for some Tula Large Rilfe Magnum Primers, go ahead and pass! Atleast for this caliber. It shot like a flint lock! You could hear the firing pin hit and then wait for it, wait for it...boom. I found an article later that stated that if you are burning less than 100 grains of powder, magnum primer selection is not a huge issue, but once you get over that threshold you need a "hot burning" primer, found a list that ranks them in order from hottest to dogshittest:

1.) Fed Match GM215M
2.) Federal 215 LRM
3.) CCI 250 LRM
4.) Winchester WLRM
5.) Remmington 9 1/2 LRM

The list goes on and was apparently generated by Handloader Magazine. I got it on good authority that the Remmington 9 1/2 LRM primers work well with this caliber, I pulled down a bunch of my rounds and reloaded them with the Rem Primers and will try this shit again tomorrow!

Nice rig.

Agustus uses US869 for his 375 Chey (running the 350 smks). Not exactly sure the number, but is was something big - like 140+ gr. or something. (if you name search him you might be able to find the load data posted up)

RL-33 works VERY well in my 338LM Improved (124 gr. H20) under 300 gr. smks and 300 gr. Scenars, much better than H1000 - about the same velocity as VV570 (as if you can find any of that anywhere in north america).

RL-50 is not as slow as 50BMG, so it may also be a viable powder in your rig.

Jeffvn

Hognuts how well does that break work

Works great! Between the brake and the weight, it shoots like a dream, you know that you are behind a rifle, but it doesn't have near the concussion of shooting a BMG, less recoil than my 30/06, and with that Jewel trigger on there once I get a load worked out, that thing is going to be a force to be reckoned with! :)

A few pics from the desert today....

Digging the new rifle, can't wait to get through the load development phase and start getting to put it through its paces.

IMG_0943.JPG
Getting close...new stock and barrel

Thanks gentlemen. Mine was about a year in the making getting all the pieces and parts together, I am going to cerakote the barreled action green with black inside flutes, but I have to play with it for awhile first! :)

You changed optics from the Nightforce 8 -32 , is it you don't the 150 MOA scope rings with the USO ?
Or was it just to work a load than changing back to the 150 MOA rings and Nightforce?

Very nice looking rifle

Last edited:
I am not going to run the Ivey rings, I shot some groups and I would have two through the same hole, then one 8" high, then another in the same ball park as the first two, would feel the scope and it was loose in its multiple moving parts, just feel that it won't be reliable with the type of shooting I do, I am not easy on stuff and I wont dick around with that thing after each shot. I didn't have any other 30mm rings with me in the desert today, so I just took the NF off, did my shooting with the USO and then put it back on my Creedmoor and zeroed and did some shooting with the guys.

Going to try the NF in my Barrett 40 MOA rings, they don't have as many moving parts and I have run them on my Barrett so I know they work and can deal with recoil.

I think I have my charge weight with the H-1000, loaded up an OAL test from on the lands, to .050" off in .010" increments, 6 rounds each to shoot 2, 3 round groups to see if I can find a happy spot for that.

***I know there are probably some better suited powders out there, but I have H-1000 on my shelf, so that is what I am rolling with...you know how that goes, can't run down to Walmart and pick up powder, you get to order that shit and wait until you have a long white beard and then it all shows up at the same time and your wife chews your ass...vicious cycle! :)***

Last edited:
I have the same rings on my M99 and so far never an issue with losing zero .
I think they will work out fine on that rig.

Will be looking for future post on range report and pics after you get the rifle cerakoted.

I ran them on my 99 with good results as well. I am bummed about the Ivey rings though, I really wanted them to work, that would have been cool, but just the small amount of time I ran them, I know I will not have confidence in them to take out on a LR hunting trip, so I may as well figure out plan B, I don't want to have anything on the rifle that I can't beat around in the mountains and have full confidence that if I get a shot that it will go where I want it, within reason. I think maybe if you were a bench rest LR guy and were willing to baby them after each shot make sure everything was tight they would probably be ok, but that is not my style. I want to set it and forget it, you already have enough variables to deal with in this game, adding a moving scope into the equation is not an option!

All I can tell you up to this point as far as range reports go is this: If you have an opportunity to trade some CCI Large Rifle Primers for some Tula Large Rilfe Magnum Primers, go ahead and pass! Atleast for this caliber. It shot like a flint lock! You could hear the firing pin hit and then wait for it, wait for it...boom. I found an article later that stated that if you are burning less than 100 grains of powder, magnum primer selection is not a huge issue, but once you get over that threshold you need a "hot burning" primer, found a list that ranks them in order from hottest to dogshittest:

1.) Fed Match GM215M
2.) Federal 215 LRM
3.) CCI 250 LRM
4.) Winchester WLRM
5.) Remmington 9 1/2 LRM

The list goes on and was apparently generated by Handloader Magazine. I got it on good authority that the Remmington 9 1/2 LRM primers work well with this caliber, I pulled down a bunch of my rounds and reloaded them with the Rem Primers and will try this shit again tomorrow!

Been there done that .
I tried cci and they just melted the powder into one big clump about 90% of the time in the 375.

Fed 215m is the ONLY way to go!
Greg

Got some decent groups today, with my Barrett rings on there and 133 grains of H-1000 loaded at 4.174" (these are about .020" off the lands) I am about 20 MOA high at 100 yards, roughly a 1150 yard zero. I am going to load some more up with that load and head out and get some groups at distance and see how they do next weekend.

These were shot at 100 yards, point of aim roughly 20 MOA below point of impact. Looking forward to seeing how they do on steel at distance!

Good to see it all coming together, nice pics as well.
What are you spinning them with, a 9 or 10 twist?

Cheers

Made it to range today. Zero is 1150 (leaves me 5 MOA below zero) Got rounds on steel at 1150, 1250, and 1450, wind got to be a bitch by the time I got out to 1550, and lobbed a couple at 2100 but ran out of rounds by the time I saw splash on the far target. I was bracketing IPSC target at 1550, so I think my elevation was good there, just need to get out there earlier before the wind picks up to get Dope.

Shooting position

elk target at 1150 yards, IPSC at 1250 yards

One zeroing impact (to the right in front of popper) 1150 yards then four follow up shots.

1250 yard impact (holding right "edge of target") whackuma! :)

1450 yard impacts. That was as far as I was able to be successful today, tried a few at IPSC at 1550 and was bracketing the target, elevation looked good, but I couldn't get wind nailed down. I shot a few at 2100 but by the time we found splash I was out of ammo! Next time!

1150 yard zero
1250 yards 3 MOA
1450 yards 10.75 MOA
1550 yards 14.75 MOA? need to confirm

86 degrees F (nice to live in Vegas this time a year)
25.87 in Hg BP
3970' Elevation
6000 D.A.
8.6% humidity

Thank you. I am trying to run my data in my ballistic program, but seems as though my 1150 yard zero is fucking shit up, not getting any useful info, (trying to use "truing program" on ballistic on Iphone) Here is the data I have, can someone run it through their program and see what they get? Trying to get a more accurate muzzle velocity. Shot one round through chrono today and it showed 3159 fps, that didn't jive with drops I was seeing vs. ballistic program data.

My zero at 100 yards is 25.5 inches high.
1150 yard zero
1250 yards 3 MOA
1450 yards 10.75 MOA

86 degrees F
25.87 in Hg BP
3970' Elevation
6000 D.A.
8.6% humidity

Thank you.

That is much closer to what I was seeing, I ran numbers "as though" I had 100 yard zero and came up with:

25 MOA 1150 yards
28 MOA 1250 yards
35.75 1450yards

I have not run it on JBM. I have Applied Ballistics' program on my laptop and "Ballistic" on my Iphone, but what I meant was those would have been my actual "dialed come-ups" from zero, conditions being what they were today, if I had a 100 yard zero instead of being zeroed at 1150. Based on what I was seeing on targets, not what program was telling me. It is always kind of a S.W.A.G on the first outing for me, because I don't own a chronograph I can trust any further than I can throw it, so I always take a good educated guess as to what my velocity is and that will usually get me close enough for a spotter to talk me onto the target and then once I have some hard numbers I can reverse engineer my velocity through "truing" features of my ballistic program, wasn't working well for me today though. I am sure it is a matter of "operator error", I am sure someone who is more computer savvy could take my numbers (much like you did) and come up with a lot closer solution and I am sure I will get it nailed down, just agrevates me when the numbers are not atleast "close" I could deal with it being within a Minute-minute and a half, but when they are in left field it makes it frustrating!

I have not run it on JBM. I have Applied Ballistics' program on my laptop and "Ballistic" on my Iphone, but what I meant was those would have been my actual "dialed come-ups" from zero, conditions being what they were today, if I had a 100 yard zero instead of being zeroed at 1150. Based on what I was seeing on targets, not what program was telling me. It is always kind of a S.W.A.G on the first outing for me, because I don't own a chronograph I can trust any further than I can throw it, so I always take a good educated guess as to what my velocity is and that will usually get me close enough for a spotter to talk me onto the target and then once I have some hard numbers I can reverse engineer my velocity through "truing" features of my ballistic program, wasn't working well for me today though. I am sure it is a matter of "operator error", I am sure someone who is more computer savvy could take my numbers (much like you did) and come up with a lot closer solution and I am sure I will get it nailed down, just agrevates me when the numbers are not atleast "close" I could deal with it being within a Minute-minute and a half, but when they are in left field it makes it frustrating!

Roger. Let us know how your computer data compares to real world shooting.

I understand your pain about being in left field. One of the programs I was using was defaulting the BC 100 points lower than actual BC which caused me to lose a bit of ammo. I also couldnt spot the misses due to mirage.

hog,
Where did you come up with that ammo box? I have been looking for one that will handle the CheyTac loads bullet up.

Mine doesn't seem to like the SMK's up on the lands like that or perhaps it doens't like them at all. Whereas it shoots the solids in a pretty tight group (.2-.3), I worked up a set of loads with 132 to 137.5 gr of Retumbo and .015" off the lands and the groups were all 1-2.5".

Last edited:
+1 live been looking for an amo box to for the 375 Cheytac where did you get yours?