• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.375 Cheytac. Now I've done it!

mrjimsfc

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2011
Centerville, Utah
Just ordered the gun of my dreams from Robert (one of our site sponsors). If I don't spend the money on something I want, my wife will certainly find something she wants. Gun and reloading dies in a package deal, sweet!
grin.gif

Now I've got to order the scope and rings for him to mount on the gun for me. I'll have sight-in, tuning and everything else ready to go well before hunting season gets here.
cool.gif

Re: .375 Cheytac. Now I've done it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Flying Dutchman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice!!!

Tell us more on the setup. </div></div>

Well, it's going to look a lot like the one in pictures 1 thru 5 at this site . I'm going to have him mount a Vortex PST 4-16x50 FFP on it as well. I was going to go with a more conventional appearing stock from McMillan but Robert pointed out that it's difficult to get that configuration to fit in the safe. A folding stock, on the other hand, fits nicely. Robert also wondered about the FFP scope. When I explained that the gun will be used for hunting as well as paper and steel, he said "Oh, holdover, I understand." I've got other guns to play with untill the new toy gets here but it's still hard to wait.
whistle.gif

Sound like a nice weapon but a question. Why the scope. I like the PST line of optics but for a rifle like that I would have thought a higher end optic with a bit more magnification would be in line. With what the rifle, dies, brass, bullets, and so forth cost several grand on top tier optics should just be a drop in the bucket.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longshot38</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Why the scope. </div></div>
Well, a couple of reasons really. I've discovered through trial and error that more expensive/higher magnification scopes just don't suit my fancy. Unlike so many others, I seem to be unable to use them to their fullest potential. Also, because I plan to use this gun as a hunting weapon as well as shooting paper and steel, one never knows beforehand how near/far the elusive beast is going to be. I wouldn't really be comfortable shooting over a mile at an animal and the 4-16x50 will be just fine for that (it better be a standing still, broadside no wind shot or I won't take it!). You may be correct in that I may eventually want a scope with more power. If so, I'll probably go with a U.S. Optics 5-25x50.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll have sight-in, tuning and everything else ready to go well before hunting season gets here.</div></div>

hmmm . . . I guess you get a lot faster turn around time on a build than I would expect.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Natty Bumpo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hmmm . . . I guess you get a lot faster turn around time on a build than I would expect. </div></div>
I guess that comes with paying for the whole 9 yards up front. He does have all the components in stock and ready to go though. It makes things easier/faster when you don't have to wait on someone else to deliver inventory. Never-the-less, I'm still going to have to wait untill at least September for delivery. That gives me about a month or perhaps 6 weeks to have that baby ready to rock.
sleep.gif

Congratulations. Sounds like the stick of a lifetime.
Q?, if you don't mind...

I don't have the wide open spaces to be able to shoot either one, but what does the .375 Cheytac offer you that the .338 LM would not, given the greater availability of ammo, and lower cost of the latter?

About 500 yards more range before going subsonic,less wind drift and more energy on target.

As far as cost goes if you want the best you pay the price.Reloading might be part of that price or having a custom ammo loading outfit keeping you supplied.

I'm going to be doing the reloading myself. My son is getting the .338 Lapua Magnum so I'll have a direct comparison between the two. I can always say "mine is bigger than yours". heh heh
grin.gif
"Shoots farther too". heh heh heh "bigger bullets" heh heh heh
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Truckman11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds awesome.....can't wait to see pics </div></div>
Can't wait to send pics!!
grin.gif

I just got a rifle from Robert not that big or nice but he did a great job have not got to shoot it but fit and finish is nice. I would go with a scope with more elevation so you can use it for target practice at longer range the PST only has 21 mils.

Well, 21 mils is still better that 18 or 19!
Anyway, the scope is already ordered and on its way. I want to try a few shots through it before I order up a suppressor.