• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

375 cheytac or 338 edge

Bigchaza

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 7, 2012
AUS NSW
Im building myself an ELR rig, at first i thought that 338 edge would be a good choice but then my mind wandered to the 375 cheytac.

I have a 3 kilometre range
Im building a heavy elr platform rather than a tactical rifle so recoil can be made quiet manageable
ill probably use it on goats, pigs deer and elk from a fixed position so i wont be carrying it anywhere

is it worth going up to a 375 cheytac and paying for the extra components for super performance?

I am new to the 338 Edge, I have not had mine very long, but I can tell you it is a very impressive round. I have owned a few 338LM rifles (Blaser 93 and GAP built CZ 338LM). What drew me to the 338 Edge was the relatively low cost of loading components, even compared to the LM but it came down to brass. The 375 Cheytac is in a different league, but its performance gains over the LM and Edge will be paid for dearly.

If you plan to stretch it to 3 km often (1.86 miles and change for those who don't convert) the 375 would be the choice. I would chose the Edge, but I only have access to 1950 yds max without driving 3 hrs over a mountain pass.

I don't play the ELR gain personally so my opinion is based purely on science/math/physics. In those categories the .375 CT is the champ.

ok so definitely a 375 bore can anyone tell me what is needed to from the 375 allen magnum cases and is it worth it

Kirby sells fire fired formed .375 Allen Mag brass which I think he is now using Bertram brass. The case has a 35 degree shoulder and some of the case taper taken out. I'm guessing it would get you around 100 fps or more velocity over the standard Chey Tac chambering.

338 Edge brass is pretty expensive (the Bertram stuff) 300 RUM brass is unobtanium, so I don't really think Edge has much of a cost advantage over anything else.

I went with 338 Norma Magnum as I was able to find a good supply of 1x fired brass for $1 / rd. And its got better ballistics than 338LM

338 Edge brass is pretty expensive (the Bertram stuff) 300 RUM brass is unobtanium, so I don't really think Edge has much of a cost advantage over anything else.

I went with 338 Norma Magnum as I was able to find a good supply of 1x fired brass for $1 / rd. And its got better ballistics than 338LM

btw i live in aus and 300 rum brass is obtanium i have a secret stash of about that a friend is holding onto for me although the answer seem clear 375 cheytac is king!

I would also recommend looking into the 338 snipetac. I have shot that thing over 2500 yards and it is a tack driver. Also, very powerful downrange. If you go to the 6mm br site one guy with this rig had something like a 3.8 inch group at a mile. Pretty impressive.

I also have a 338 lapua and I have been happy with that as well. The cost is a little cheaper with the lapua but not a whole lot. Very accurate round though.

I shot at a 3/8 thick piece of mild steel at 1200 yards with both rigs. When the lapua hit the plate it would just scratch the paint. When I hit it with the snipetac it was punching holes thru it. Both rigs were shooting the same bullet 300gr SMK. The snipetac is a barrel burner though.

I saw the 338 snipetac and i considered it but i thought that the cheytac would ride wind better, looks like an awesome rig though

They are both great cases the 375 would be better if you were wanting to shoot over 1500 yard but it may depend on your finance as the 375 can be pricy to run.

They are both great cases the 375 would be better if you were wanting to shoot over 1500 yard but it may depend on your finance as the 375 can be pricy to run.

yes very true ive been nutting out how much it would roughly cost per round over the life of the brass. Im pretty sure you cant even say the word cheytac without losing a dollar

The .338 Edge is a great 1-1.5 mile round. But the .375 is a totally different beast. For 2 miles plus I would consider the .338LM Improved for a .338 or just go with the .375 Cheytac. Must be nice to feel good about feeding that animal though.