• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.375 cheytac vs 338 lapua

m1a convert

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2003
Idaho Falls
I know there is a big difference between these cartridges as far as range goes. I want to build a ELR rifle and am trying to decide.

On average, how much of a difference is there in weight for the rifle itself between these? Can they be built to similar weights, or is it like a .50 and they all weigh a ton.

How much more is it to shoot the .375 over the .338? (I know it depends on the bullet, lets compare SMKs fired out of each) (Also, if I have to ask I probably can't afford it)

Is there anywhere that has a lot of information on these cartridges posted that I can read to get my feet under me without all in one place?

Re: .375 cheytac vs 338 lapua

M1A,

My heaviest 375/408 is 24lbs with optics. I don't own a 338LM to compare weights to but I not sure that my 375/408s are that much heavier lol. I know of some that are built significantly lighter weight than mine such as about 16lbs
smile.gif

Now onto cost to shoot..FIRST thing is Seirra does NOT offer a projectile for the 375/408!! That 350gr jacketed projo you referring to was a "custom" batch for Cheytac. Seirra will not provide any information on them or selling them. I have not and do not plan on shooting them so I cannot give you accurate cost based with that projo.
Here is what you can expect with the "solids" at THIS moment.
2$-2.40$ each brass
1.80$-2.50$ each projectile
130gr of RL25

Thanks

Honestly, you can build a quality rifle in either caliber for more or less the same amount. The cost of consumables for the 375/408 was MUCH higher in the past, but not so much anymore. .338 Scenars are always going to be cheaper than .375 solids and .338 brass is also be a bit cheaper. On top of that, reloading components are cheaper and in higher volume than 375/408, but the latter is still not hard to find (call CH4D). It's just that there's a wider variety of manufactures for .338, so volume and variation is much wider.

I personally think .338LM is good for the vast majority of long range shooters. It seems like few people have access to a range or land where they can take .338LM to the limit. Those who do have a difficult enough time getting the most of the rifle. When you do get to the point where you are getting consistent with .338LM at 1600-1800 yards and want to take it further, then by all means have a 375/408 built or rechamber your rifle
wink.gif

That's just my $0.02

I have always wanted a 375 but there is not place to use it here i.e. 1500 plus so I have a Lawton 338 Lapua and love she is a .5 moa gun at 600 yds plan on shooting it 1000 but farther than that there is no place to go here in the midwest.
just be sure you have a place to truly use it !!!!!

Just an opinion but I love the 338 Lapua

Bill

Bill its time for you to come to the desert and air that rig out...

JeffVN

Bill If your near the WI border I'll shoot you a PM end of july after I take wheat off and you can ring that gun out to around 2000 meters.

CK

Thanks for the offer , I would gladly shoot a day with you at 1000 plus
will get some 300 gr loaded up

Jeffvn

I wold be great to get to the dessert but not practical right now
Thanks
Bill