• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

375 ct , What would I need to reload?

savage110

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2009
USA
I am throwing together the idea of building up a .375 cheytac as my next build after seeing what it can do at 2000+ yds. I am wondering what would I need to reload for it, also is fireforming neccesary? a list of components and prices would be excellent. What machine, dies, bullets, brass, powder etc... Just so I can calculate the costs. Would like to get good components yet not break the bank
Thanks
-Felipe

Re: 375 ct , What would I need to reload?

I know a few of you guys have 375's. help me out. bump

First, I highly suggest you take an NRA Metallic Reloading course or as an alternative have a knowledgeable buddy walk you through making ammo for a while. You're going to need quite a few things to get started:

Single-Stage Press (I like the Ammomaster 2)
Dies & Shellholders
Scale
Calipers
Trimmer
Chamfer/Deburring Tool
Powder Measure and Funnel Set
Powder Trickler
Primer kit (Ram Prime comes with Ammomaster 2)
Vibratory Tumbler and sifter for brass

You can go cheap, inexpensive or expensive. I like having a beam scale and an electronic scale. I also like having an electronic trickle-thrower like the Lyman DPS or RCBS Chargemaster, but they're $250-300 whereas a simple powder measure can be had for under $100.

Either way, expect to pay at least $1k to get started.

Things that aren't absolutely necessary but you'll probably want:

Press mounted bullet puller
Bushing Neck Sizer die
Concentricity Gauge

The good news is .375 components are easy to get now compared to years ago. Talk to Terry Shoup at Jamison International for brass and 350gr bullets. CH4D makes the dies you need.

I already reload for -06, so I have most of that stuff, but would I need a new press? I currently have a Lee challenger kit (cheap but it works)!
Thanks for the info.
-Felipe

You should get a better press. With the money you will be spending on each trigger pull you would want a little better press. IMHO

Wont I be needing a bigger press regardless for the .375?

I'm not familiar with the Challenger. I started with a Rockchucker and when I moved up to .408 I needed a bigger press. A larger press will make things much easier, but I know people who stick to smaller presses - it's just tricky to get the bullet seated properly.

I've went with the Redding Big Boss 2. Longer stroke & lager opening, also 1 1/4" for the CH4D dies

Thanks guys. Appreciate it, so for you guys reloading .375, whats your av. cost per round and also how many uses do you get out of the Jamison brass?
-Felipe

I've got 5-6 reloads on some of my J-375CT brass.I can't really tell you how many more to expect.

You get 50 cases worth of powder per pound of Retumbo,barely.

Lehigh 330's were $1.20 each last I bought them.Don't know how much the Jamison solids are right now?

About a year and a half ago the brass was $2.50 each.

Steve

Thanks Steve, how far have you taken it out too?

Only to 2500Y

I can't get "Later" to confess how far he's taken his.Hint Hint
grin.gif

Here is my setup for reloading .375CT round:

RCBS Supreme Rock Chucker (has a primer press, the auto hand primers will not fit the .375CT brass)
RCBS Chargemaster 1500 scale and powder trickler
Lawton .375 CT dies (borrowed from my gunsmith)
505 Gibbs shell holder (borrowed from my gunsmith)
Lee's manual trimmer (RCBS will not fit the .375CT brass)
Chamfer/deburring tool (manual)
Electronic caliper

That's pretty much it. I've reloaded 125 rounds so far and it goes very smooth with this setup. Good luck.

I also use a Hornady hand primer with a #45 rcbs shellholder, ya just need a Dremel tool to open up around the s/h so the brass will fit.