• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.375 SnipeTac brass

Master Diver

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2008
Kingdom Of Denmark
Gentlemen,

Here are some pictures of the first ever made .375 SnipeTac brass.
The brass is made by Dieter Horneber in Germany.
For comparison is a .408 CheyTac

Cheers,

Master Diver

375SnipeTacbrass003.jpg

375SnipeTacbrass008.jpg

Re: .375 SnipeTac brass

Well this is a great day. While I have enough .408 brass to keep me going I NEED to get some of this !!

Are you getting some from Dave?
I will get some more in December - hopefully.

Much better then fire-forming those .408 cases.

Cheers,

Master Diver

Master Diver,

CheyTac is making it's own VERY fine .375 brass, headstamped 375 CheyTac with 2 stars on the base. Spent the weekend shooting some, had velocities at 3200 fps, very nice stuff. Hellish accurate rifle too.

Trigger

Trigger,

Yes i know that CT are making their own.
My rifle is however a 375 SnipaTac and not a CheyTac chambering - and when traveling to other countries with rifle and ammo it is best and sometimes a must that the casreads the same as your caliber on the rifles barrel and the weapons permit.
That is why I need brass with the right head stamp.
Also Dieter Horneber has a very good reputation in Europe for making some good quality brass, and getting brass from Germany to Dewnmark is alot easier then getting them from outside Europe.

Not a Guro,
I think the price is about USD 3,77 with the current dollar euro rate. Might seem expensive for Us buyers but that is only due to the low Dollar rate right now.
I got about 700 cases and will get more in December.

Cheers,

Master Diver

I have wondered before if that is where Kirby got his 338 Allen Magnum headstamped brass. If it is his supplier it is pretty decent stuff. I can get 11 reloads out of a single case without babying them too much 265s @ 3400.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eddybo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have wondered before if that is where Kirby got his 338 Allen Magnum headstamped brass. If it is his supplier it is pretty decent stuff. I can get 11 reloads out of a single case without babying them too much 265s @ 3400. </div></div>

Eddy,

Looks like you must have some Hensons or a few Wildcats up your sleeve ? That 338 Am is one hell of a round.. OOOCHH !!!

DUH

down under hunter, I am shooting the henson aluminum tipped bullets with good results. I have not heard whether wildcat is producing 338 bullets yet.

I know it is more then 375CT brass, but they are by the best European producer and i need the right head stamp when traveling.
It would be cheaper if the Dollar went up at its normal rate
grin.gif

Cheers,

Master Diver

Hi Dave Viers has it for sale it is $5.75US per case. he also has hydraulic formed cases for $4.25 each but they are either 375 or 408 chey tac cases formed if it is worth you having some cases for international travel then the extra $150us for a hundred rounds is worth it. i would think it would probably be better brass anyway because it has been annealed and formed to the correct dimensions from the factory and is not sized to a smaler case then formed back up. I know that Kirby Allen had a lot to do with having primer pockets made tighter than standard with the company he was working with it was at one time Jammison but he may have changed manufacturers. As for Chey Tac making their own brass i think they get it subcontracted out with their headspace. the first lot they ever had made was made here in Australia by Bertrum i was there when he was making it he is only 2 hours from my place. The original Chey tac brass was only designed for one firing for military use it is great to see that they and others are working on making better brass available for the end user to reload.

The Jamison brass with two stars on the headstamp is GTG for reloading.

I loaded some of the Jamison two star .375 brass 30+ rds. Most of the loads were on the mild side.

I have fireformed a lot of 338 Snipe-Tac from 375 brass. No annealing process required. Frankly I am in the process of rechambering to a standard 338/408. I have run into extraction problems with the Snipe-Tac and unless there are a lot of velocity gain with the improved case I see no reason to go through all the pain of fireforming. I have been told the gain is around 100 fps. If this is true, the price of eggs aint worth the wear and tear on the hens ass.

Are we talking sticky extraction here?
Does dave know about this?
Hope this will not happen with 375 SnipaTac at 3150 fps.

Cheers,

Master Diver

for the 338 i see no reason to improve the case as their is plenty of powder camacity but i have never heard of extraction problems with a 375 snipe tac whay action is the 338 snipe tac on?

The 338 is on a Lawton action. The extraction problem may be a die problem more than anything else. They get progressively tighter with each firing. By the sixth or seventh firing extraction is a problem. I would not worry to much about it. I think if your dies are right you will be ok. I have had the same problems with other cals with custom chambers and stock dies. One of my 308s does the same thing, I made a body die out of an old RCBS FL die by cutting it off just under the shoulder and shaving a little off the bottom, I then use a Redding Type S bushing to bump the shoulder and size the neck. Problem solved.

I am getting my own reamer and having a full length bushing die made off of the reamer specs for a standard 338/408. I believe the extraction problem with the Snipe-Tac could be resolved, however, I hate fireforming and I dont think it gains a lot in this case. As a footnote Dave did not have anything to do with the building of this rifle or the making of the dies.

Oh. about the home made body die. Maybe I just got lucky but the resized cases are almost identicle to the fired cases when checked with calipers. Maybe .0005 at the shoulder and head.

Ok thanks.
Dave is making my rifle and the dies also so they should be a matching pair - ALL MATCHING numbers
grin.gif

Like my Hemi Challenger R/T 426 - I wish
grin.gif

Cheers,

Master Diver

Trigger,

On your post below, you said your snipe tac was really accurate..can you tell me what load you are using and your barrel info??

thanks

CheyTac is making it's own VERY fine .375 brass, headstamped 375 CheyTac with 2 stars on the base. Spent the weekend shooting some, had velocities at 3200 fps, very nice stuff. Hellish accurate rifle too.

Trigger