• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

37XC build

jasent

ELR junkie
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2013
deer park wa
First component of the build got picked up today.
Savage 112 target magnum in 338 lapua. I was going to sell this barrel but I just couldn’t help but play with it. Loaded up a preasure test with h1000 and 300 gr bergers. Found a nice node at 2935. I’ll play with that till she levels out. The target accu trigger is nice. Set at 1.5lbs for now, may lighten it up a bit more. Brake definitely tames the recoil, was like shooting a 308
A8FA1791-A42A-4196-8714-C4FAE5E911A1.jpeg

That’s smoking fast, I thought I was doing good with H1000 and 300 gr. Scenars at 2745 out of the Barrett. Nice rifle jasent have fun with it.

Oneshot

Reactions: jasent
Haven’t gotten to play past half mile yet but probably do so this weekend cause bear season is coming fast. Going to ream this barrel to 33xc since I’ll have the dies and reamer rental is only $75

Reactions: 7mmShooter
I had some pressure issues with my 33XC but mostly they were related to the bolt face on my Desert tactical having too large a hole for the firing pin and the 33XC not being very temperature friendly. I swapped out the bolt and no more primer flow problems and kept the ammo in a cooler at 72 deg to solve the other problem. Worked great on both counts. Now that I've got some time I'll look at other powders to load with. Thinking H50BMG if I can find any along with VV N570 or 24N21....if I can find them. I tried WC868 which is a pretty slow 50 BMG powder but it was about 100 ft/sec slower and showing pressure issues. I've got a bit of WC872 so I'll give it a shot too.

What is the twist rate on that Savage 338 barrel? What bullets are you planning on running in the 33XC. I've been running Cutting Edge solids in my 8" twist Schneider. If you're running a 10" which is common on the 338 you will have a wider range of choices for bullets.
Looks like you're getting there. Very interested in seeing how the 37XC does.

Frank

Yup 1:9. 300gr elite hunters in this barrel. If I like it I may order a fast twist barrel for running solids

...and the 33XC not being very temperature friendly.

Did you mean to say RL33 not being temp friendly? Just wondering as I did a quick ladder with it in a 338LM but found a node easier with Retumbo so I dint revisit. Interested in the extra speed it apparently gives, but not if it's going to jump all over in temp swings.

Apologies if that's not what you were referencing, haha.

Thanks.

Yep, you got it. I know a lot of the reloader powders aren't temp friendly. There wasn't a lot of choices for the 33. I did load up some 338 Lapua with the RL33 too and it is pretty good for speed. You just have to do load development for the hot season and not shoot when its too cold. Seems we still can't have everything.

Frank

I used the 112 target magnum for my 338 lapua ai build. When they had a $150 MIR and caught them on sale I couldn't pass up getting a couple of them. I have been a savage fanboy for several years and have been selling lots of savages off and switching over to these new "affordable custom actions", but the 112 target magnum build is one that I can't bring myself to let go.

It's nice to see someone else using, or at least planning on, this action for a build. Look forward to seeing how your project progresses.

Cool build. My 338 AI is doing great w RL-33. That XC case looks a lot like the AI case.

I am very interested in seeing how this turns out. I have a 338 Stealth I was thinking of using. Right now I am turning it into a long barreled 338 Edge to play with. I am curious to see if the Savage can handle the XC.

What barrel and barrel length did you decide on?

I am very interested in seeing how this turns out. I have a 338 Stealth I was thinking of using. Right now I am turning it into a long barreled 338 Edge to play with. I am curious to see if the Savage can handle the XC.

What barrel and barrel length did you decide on?
32” McGowen straight/ no taper will be the first barrel finished. If I like this cartridge enough I’ll go custom action and k&p barrel.

Just wondering if there is enough of an advantage to the 37 over the 33 to make it worth fooling with. Already have the 33XC setup in the Desert Tactical and its proven to be excellent for accuracy and range. Will the 375 dia gain much over the 338 to make it worth it?

Frank

Mainly powder selection for me. I can find h1000 any day of the week. H50bmg is like imaginary. Not willing to play with temp sensitive powders. Plus a little better splash for spotting impacts
Just wondering if there is enough of an advantage to the 37 over the 33 to make it worth fooling with. Already have the 33XC setup in the Desert Tactical and its proven to be excellent for accuracy and range. Will the 375 dia gain much over the 338 to make it worth it?

Frank

Frank

Good question, I am in same boat, waiting to see.

Well it’s the reason I’m shooting the sierras over the solids. Within 1400 yards might as well shoot the sierras IMO. The solids don’t gain ya much within that range.

Cost of wasted components to find 2 different loads would probably cover the savings of shooting the smk for the short range stuff. I don’t know anyone that built a 375 for inside of 1400 though...

Reactions: jasent
Cost of wasted components to find 2 different loads would probably cover the savings of shooting the smk for the short range stuff. I don’t know anyone that built a 375 for inside of 1400 though...

Well I hunt deer with mine, so I shoot quite a bit within 1400. And in my experience most people that build a 375 cal gun build it to just have it. They talk a big game but for the most part just shoot it at 100 yards and show off for their friends. One of them I’ve got the biggest cock deals.

This rifle won’t shoot less than one mile. I’ll use my 243 for less than 1 mile. I can’t make up my mind what I want either 375 ct or 37 XC might be enough I got a cheap barrel done up in 1:10 twist so I may play with some lighter solids but the smk’s will work fine out to 3k with my setup. I am building this rig as a test rifle really as my deciding on 375 or 416. Exactly why I chose factory action over custom. Dout this will be my last build and really just to get my toes wet in the 2500 plus zone. May not even finish this barrel out before I start my next build but it’s been a cheap entry level build to help me decide what I feel I need to achieve my current goal

What you may not know is I’ve gone from my 3rd 243 barrel to toasting a 300wm barrel to mid level 338 to 338 Lapua to the 37XC in less than 1 year. The addiction has escalated quickly and I’ll always be shooting for the moon. Nothing will help but getting those impacts at the next rung on the ladder

Last edited: