• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

38 PRC?

treillw

Private
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2017
Anyone else think a 38 prc would be a good idea? I currently have a 300 win. Sometimes I wish I had a bit more oomph, but not as much as a 338 Lapua - something like a 338 win mag, with maybe a little more horsepower.

I like that you can mag feed high BC bullets from the PRC series without issues - only downfall to my 300 win is that the magazine smashes the metal tips on the rounds it holds and seats the bullet into the case deeper, essentially making the gun a single shot, which sucks. Spending thousands on a 300 PRC setup to correct that doesn't seem worth it to me.

They are coming out with modern versions of all the other calibers. My fingers are crossed that they do it with a 338. Anyone hear anything? Thoughts?

Thanks!

Seems like it would be splitting hairs when all’s said and done. Mostly because the end ballistic comparison will be between best end of the BC scale .30 cal bullets with mediocre .338 bullets. Easy enough to do. The reamer exists already, and there’s data for 338-375 Ruger which is substantially similar. The 375 ruger is the parent case for 300 PRC.

Why not just get your 300 WM custom thoated to seat longer heavier bullets and eke out a little more case capacity?

But at that point you essentially have the 300 PRC….

Reactions: Lost_Phil
Anyone else think a 38 prc would be a good idea? I currently have a 300 win. Sometimes I wish I had a bit more oomph, but not as much as a 338 Lapua - something like a 338 win mag, with maybe a little more horsepower.

I like that you can mag feed high BC bullets from the PRC series without issues - only downfall to my 300 win is that the magazine smashes the metal tips on the rounds it holds and seats the bullet into the case deeper, essentially making the gun a single shot, which sucks. Spending thousands on a 300 PRC setup to correct that doesn't seem worth it to me.

They are coming out with modern versions of all the other calibers. My fingers are crossed that they do it with a 338. Anyone hear anything? Thoughts?

Thanks!
Is there some reason you don't want a 33 Nosler?

Thanks!
NO we have way too many so called New and improved calibers that the industry can’t support. Plus you can only push a bullet so many different ways. We are hitting top of all possibilities. IF you want a 338 get a 338 lapua. If you sit down and do some research a 300 mag shooing a 225 eld can keep up with the 338 lapua. Get a 1-9 300 mag barrel and go have some fun. Plus is won’t kill your pocket book like 338 lapua. As the Bible says there NOTHING NEW under the sun.

Last edited:
NO we have way too many so called New and improved calibers that the industry can’t support. Plus you can only push a bullet so many different ways. We are hitting top of all possibilities.
Ie there are many solutions to the OPs question already….

If you’re gonna spend some money, get a long throated .338 Win Mag or for some real fun, a .358 Norma Mag. While the .35 caliber bullets don’t offer the best BC’s in the world, the .358 will give you all the whompum to cause most critters on this continent to call ”calfrope” with a solid hit. Both fit in a .30-06 length action.

only downfall to my 300 win is that the magazine smashes the metal tips on the rounds it holds and seats the bullet into the case deeper, essentially making the gun a single shot, which sucks.
It sounds like your rifle uses a magazine size of 3.715 (COAL 3.615) or 3.775 (COAL 3.675), which for 300WM running heavy bullets hard like what you are going through. I would change out the stock/chassis you are using for one that lets you run a CIP magazine size of 3.850 (COAL of 3.750). I would check to see if you will have to trim the feed ramp flush with the magazine wall, which is easy to do with a dermal tool.

Why not just get your 300 WM custom thoated to seat longer heavier bullets and eke out a little more case capacity?

But at that point you essentially have the 300 PRC….
I would also do this so you can run the bullet out farther for a longer COAL. Both changes above would be easy for a gun smith to do and not cost thousands to do.

To move to 300PRC, you would need to do the first thing I listed and then re-barrel your action. This would also not be that expensive to do as well for a gun smith to do.

If you opt to build a new rifle, I would go with 300 Norma magnum, but it will require a new action with a Lapua bolt face of 0.588.