• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors .38 Super +P ??

ArcticLight

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2003
Silverdale, WA
Anyone own a handgun that shoots 38 Super?

THey are about 3/32" longer than a 9mm otherwise identical...

Somehow my g/f's brother purchased 2 boxes of this stuff, it's all Sportsmans had left...he said it was what we were shooting out of his 357 (Scary!!) - somehow I think he's confused.

Interesting caliber...

Re: .38 Super +P ??

I've had several 38 supers. It is a semi-rimmed cartridge. I guess it it will fit the chamber in a revolver and the small semi rim could catch on the extractor of a revolver it would fire it. Sounds dangerous to me though. I have never miked the diameter of the bullet or case of a 38 super and 357 mag and compaired them. Didn't even think about trying that.

It is an excellent cartridge, but you need to ditch the Colt barrel that headspaces on the cartrige case rim and get a BarSto or other good brand aftermarket barrel that headspaces on the case mouth. Very potent cartridge with good quality JHP ammo. Sold my last custom commander here on the Hide.

If is an old cartridge that has had a small following through out the years. A lot of FBI guys in the 1930's used them in the gangster wars era due to defeating the early body armor and it penitrated the old heavy car bodies better. Plus it had three more round capacity in the magazine than a 45ACP Gvt Mdl did. Kind of like the first higher capacity American auto pistol. I still like the cartridge but it is hard to find now with ammo in short supply.
Bill

Wow - good history - did not know it was that old.

I have 2 boxes for sale, American Eagle ball - on federal brass.

I don't have a handgun for them, can't believe we did shoot them out of his 357 lightweight but he swears we did...Doh!

I have been thinking about a .38S or a 9x23 for years. Esp with the 9x23 you can achieve factory .357 Mag ballistics; and the Corbon DPX 125 grn in .38S is 1,350 fps.

The few supers that I have shot in basic 1911 form (not open guns) have been exceptionally mild to shoot. I think it would make for a great defensive gun.

Good luck

For MANY years it was a Mexicans caliber of choice, as their Gvt will not allow them to LEGALLY own any former Military caliber.

I thought I read the other week that Mexicans are still prohibited from owning any caliber greater than a .38 and even still they need national sign off (which sounded hard to get).

It was the media so it could be wrong. Regardless it answered a lot of questions about those shiny Colts in .38 Super I used to see all the time with names that started with 'El'.

Good luck

The Super is a great round. My carry gun is a lightweight Commander. Really lightweight. STI aluminum frame and SV aluminum slide with a Kart bushing barrel.

Loaded with 16 rounds of silvertip +P it weighs less than an unloaded Commander and is not any thicker than a regular 1911 or Gluck.

38 Super and 38 Super +P are exactly the same thing. The "+P" was added fairly recently to further differentiate it from the almost obsolete 38 ACP that has exactly the same dimensions but is loaded to much lower pressures.

In Mexico, normal civilians can only buy handguns in calibers up to 380 ACP (9x17) or 38 spl, higher power calibers are not allowed.

Shoot one, love it. It's a tack driver custom Caspian. Already had a buddy tell me he's stealing it out of my vault after I die.

I'm a huge 10mm fan but I love shooting that .38 Super.

Pick one up, you'll love it.

There is a company doing moon clip conversions on 357 revolvers that will shoot 9mm-357 mag. Thinking TK Customs......

I like the 38 super also and I am also thinking of having a 9x23 barrel fitted for my springfield 38 super 1911. My friend thinks she may have fired some of my 38 super in her S&W Model 60 .357 mag. I tried the 38 super in the chamber and they fit. I called S&W and they said they have not heard of any one doing it before and after I explained that they fit in the chamber he said he guess it could happen.

I own 3 pistols and a revolver chambered in 38 super. The cartridge has been around since 1929,first chambered for the Colt 1911.

Got a friend in the local PD who I went to the academy with - he cant' find the damn bullets so he's happily trading me 2 factory boxes of 38 special in exchange - fair deal!

As far as bullet diameters go 9mm is .355, factory .38 super 130 gr is .356 and .38/.357 is .357 in jacketed bullets.
Most shoot .355 bullets in their .38 supers, but you can buy Winchester or Remington bulk bullets in .356
From Rem. website, components for sale:
RB9MM2 9MM .355 124 Metal Case
RB9MM8 9MM .355 147 Jacketed Hollow Point
RB380AP 380 .356 95 Metal Case
RB38S11 38 .356 130 Metal Case
RB357M7 357/38 .357 110 Semi-Jacketed Hollow Point
RB357M1 357/38 .357 125 Semi-Jacketed Hollow Point