• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater 3D movies...

jayd4wg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 12, 2009
Steel City
Just watched Yogi with my boys - funny how my youngests first movie was 3D...and boy oh boy has the bar been set forever now.

I was not trying to spend the extra dough on the 3d version with them, but that's all that was playing...and well, we were there so i ponied up the extra dough (40 bucks for 4ppl, plus another 20 for drinks and popcorn) to see the 3d version.

3D technology has come a long way since the red and blue goggles. I THOROUGHLY enjoyed the visuals in this movie and would pay extra to see many more of the 3D offerings coming out.

So much so that I'm entertaining the thought of going 3d for my home theater. We were budgeting a new screen anyway, and now i'm looking at 3d capable ones. one thing i've noticed is that they are $$$$$$. A comparable projector running 1080p with 3d can be had for a grand flat. a 50" screen running 3d 1080p is gonna set you back 3k. I'll take the projector please, AND a smaller 720p flat screen LED for the kids to play Wii on.

As for Yogi...movie was funny, captivating (as much as an animated movie about a talking bear can be) and Anna Faris is on my bucket list. Don't make a special trip for this movie, but if you get family-trapped into watching it, go for the 3d one.

Re: 3D movies...

I still can't get into 3D. We saw a 3D Imax movie last year (can't remember which one) and I'll agree that they are much better than they used to be. But when we saw Avatar for instance we made sure to always watch the non-3D instead. 3D kind of gives me headaches.
frown.gif

The only issue I have with 3d is that some movies have so much going on it can be tough to keep up. Clash of the Titans was like that for me. I saw it once each 2 and 3d and enjoyed 2d more.

All CG films are always easier on the eyes with the 3D version - you get quite a bit for free that you otherwise have to jump through hoops when you're physically filming in 2D with the intent of making 3D.

3D at the movies is fine and can be fun. But puttin of friggin gogglees to watch 3D football at home? Don't think I'll be doing that anytime soon.

I just picked up a Panasonic p58vt25 and absolutely love it. Its 3d capable, but I haven't tried it yet. Haven't been to a new 3d movie yet either. Being prone to migraines and light being a trigger, I'm not going to risk it. The good thing will be that the glasses should always have a good charge when we need to throw our friends' kids in front of the tv.