• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 3d Printable Tap Index

ken226

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2009
Washington
For anyone interested.

I've never found a set of taps or tap index that has the sizes commonly used by gunsmiths. I pieced together my tap set, buying them individually but never had an Index for them. I designed and uploaded a tap index to Thingiverse for anyone to download and 3d print. I measured my own tap set for the dimensions, and added .015" to all of the hole diameters, so they should accommodate most brands of taps in the appropriate sizes. The tap index also has slots in the back to accomodate Starrett 3"x5" tap drill cards.

I also have some pegboard holders designed to fit various Lee reloading tools. Everything on Thingiverse is available for free download in .stl format to work with most any 3d print slicers.

I just finished printing a couple of them and they work well for my taps. Feel free to download any of my .stl models to 3d print, or to have printed by any local business with the capability. I think Thingiverse also has some kind of service that allows people to have models printed and shipped.

The tap index:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3203357

pegboard holders:

https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=ken226&dwh=595be46085727c8

Last edited:
Neat! I kind of want a nice, quality, reasonable cost 3D printer for stuff like this but don't even know where to start. Also guessing quality & reasonable cost are probably mutually exclusive.

Reasonable is subjective.

The Flashforge Creator Pro is about the best bang for the buck on the market at about 900$

The Davinci Jr is in the 200$ range, but has limitations. No heated bed, PLA filament only, uses proprietary filament spools. But, it has quite a following.

I'd probably be willing to put $1k into a printer but just not looking forward to starting from scratch and reading up/learning about them. I'll check out the Flashforge Creator Pro.

Operating the 3d printer and using the slicing software is really easy. Any models that can be downloaded can be printed with minimal fuss.

The part that isnt so easy, and requires a good bit of learning, is designing your own custom parts in CAD.

I luckily, took alot of classes using Autocad, Inventor and Solidworks in college, learning to model parts and large assemblies. Mostly engines and power transmission assemblies such as automobile transmissions and industrial manufacturing machinery.

But, basic CAD skills can be learned using low cost software like Atom3d or Turbocad, and plenty of youtube videos.

Autodesk fusion 360 will be your friend in the cad world. Totally free cad/cam software, tons of tutorials to learn from on YouTube as well as from Autodesk. I've been using it a while now with good results.

Im a big fan of Fusion360. I mostly use Inventor Pro and HSM Works, but occasionally log in and use Fusion 360 for its convenience.

Its internet based with cloud storage, and is probably the most intuitive CAD software ive ever used. Anyone interested in learning CAD would do well to give Fusion360 a try.

I don't work for Autodesk, so the plug is genuine.

Neat! I kind of want a nice, quality, reasonable cost 3D printer for stuff like this but don't even know where to start. Also guessing quality & reasonable cost are probably mutually exclusive.
I use a Creality Ender 3, and it works very well. I use it to make spare parts and small things to make life easier in terms of reloading/tools. Its $200, and a very good value for starters.