• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

3D Printing Reloading Trays

DRAGON64

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2011
Alabama
I was relaoding some 308 and 30-06, and I quickly ran out of my blue Franklin trays. So I jumped on Thingiverse and found where someone had modeled up some Franklin trays and loaded them to the website. I needed a new printing project, and I needed more trays, so 3D printed my own. The major diffrence with these trays is that they have an additional cavity that allows for the neck to be supported while you have brass on hold for powder and bullets. Keeps the dust out etc.

IMG_9572.JPG

My printer of choice is a CR-10S that I picked up last fall... quite the addicting little side hobby that has managed to support all of my major hobbies in one way or another...

IMG_9571.JPG

Takes about 20+ hours to print, so I print while I am at work, wjen I get home I pull off the finished tray, and prep to print another. These trays work great for anything with the case end similar to the 308; 30-06; 6.5 CM etc etc. Here is the link to the files I used:

The creator also has trays for 223, 9mm, 45, 40SW, 38sp/357M If you are a printer, you might look through Thingiverse for something that can aid your reloading addiction.

Material costs are low; I am printing in a gold PLA material. The 2lb. reel of PLA costs $20 at Amazon, and as of right now I am printing my 4th tray, with enough material to print at least two more.

Like many of you I wanted to get into 3D printing for quite a while. As a day time mechanical designer it was a no-brainer option. I researched youtube videos and reviews on a number of economical printers, and the model that stood out was the CR-10S. I believe I invested a little less than $400 shipped. My main use was for printing amateur rocket parts and airframes, but I find it quite useful for a number of items... like these trays.

I have a number of reels that are close to running out, so I am just going to use the material printing useful parts for my reloading addiction. The website I linked too has a lot of useful items to print, just use the search function and look up reloading... Lots to look at.

Reactions: winniedonkey
3d printing is certainly becoming an option in our day to day operations. That being said, Frankford Arsenal trays can be had for about $4 apiece.

It's not always about cost, fit & function. I can make exactly what I want. Reloading trays aren't the best reason to run out and buy a printer. Like reloading 9mm or 556, but once you are set-up you can do alot of things.

Reactions: DRAGON64
Exactky, I bought my printer for rocketry use, and found it more useful in almost everything else I do. There are more uses yet undiscovered... right now I am mostly playing.

Exactky, I bought my printer for rocketry use, and found it more useful in almost everything else I do. There are more uses yet undiscovered... right now I am mostly playing.
The printer has already paid for itself with the amount I have made in the last few months. My biggest problem is the amount of time I spend working with Fusion 360 now.

Reactions: DRAGON64
Are there any resources or books, or anything really, that y’all would recommend to a dipshit like me to get started in 3D printing?

I’d like to learn about it before investing money in a printer.

Thanks

I knew nothing before about 3D modeling or printing, youtube is the best place, I spent alot of time watching, learning.

Fusion 360 tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLEVULiWognkczOpDSGSlFg

3D Printing
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb8Rde3uRL1ohROUVg46h1A
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxQbYGpbdrh-b2ND-AfIybg

3D printing is pretty accurate, it is the shrink rates of various materials that can be tough to manage.