• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

3rd axis adjustment?

penguinofsleep

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2020
Somewhere USA
Still new to shooting past 1k so if this question is completely "wrong", just say no, I don't mind.

Anyways, just realized that no one in long range shooting talks about the "3rd" axis of alignment vs in archery, all 3 axis of alignment get dialed in on the sight, assuming the user is aware of the issue and the sight has the adjustment capability.

For reference, 1st axis in the link above would be like looking up and down a hill, 2nd axis is what we would traditionally think of as cant on a bipod (and what bubble levels on both rifles and bows check for), and 3rd axis would be like panning the rifle or possibly a barrel / bullet hole that isn't square against the receiver or otherwise doesn't point where the scope points. I don't think first axis is a concern in either given that we aim up/down for different distances anyways. And 2nd we normally look for and correct. However, I'm wondering about the 3rd axis.

Do we simply not worry about it because 1) scopes are long enough to prevent most of the above from happening at a practical level, i.e. we would see it and fix it), 2) modern rifle manufacturing is typically good enough to prevent too much of the above and 3) what little we can't catch would be negligible vs all other factors or simply approximated out at different distances with our DOPE data?
For example, in an extreme example, imagine a scope that's sitting 2deg panned to the right but is level otherwise and the barrel + receiver is point forward at 0deg and otherwise level. Now if we shoot up or down hill, not only would the scope be pointing off to the right, but it would be canted as well, throwing things off in 2 directions, of course with the error becoming more as we go further out. Now, imagine the same thing but at amounts within tolerance stacking, etc. - probably not a real issue at say 100yds, but I'm wondering if this is a factor past 1000.

EDIT: Yep, pretty much what I thought. Curiosity answered.

Last edited:
With archery equipment, there is the vertical and the horizontal. With the stick and string, the archer can have the arrow in the rest and be drawing the string so that the axis of thrust is skewed to one side or the other, causing the arrow to have its ass trying to overtake its nose and some serious issues. (edited to say: The nock can also be too far up the string, or too far down.)
With rifle gear, there is the vertical and the horizontal. With a rifle, as near as this other issue could get would be to have a bent barrel but even that is not apples to apples, nocking issues are not a problem.
The whole canting thing has been addressed ad nauseum, use the search function.

Last edited:
Reactions: penguinofsleep
With scoped rifles it’s not an issue because your sight can adjust for it pretty completely. This is why when you mount a scope that’s fresh from the factory, you often still have to zero the windage; that alignment is imperfect, and you adjust the imperfection out (well, down anyway).

Even most iron sight setups are designed to be adjusted for windage, even if many of them are a royal pain to adjust.

Horizontal offset of the optic is typically so small as to become quickly negligible beyond 50yd. Rare exceptions include things like IR lasers for night vision, M1D/M1C rifles, etc.

Still new to shooting past 1k so if this question is completely "wrong", just say no, I don't mind.

Anyways, just realized that no one in long range shooting talks about the "3rd" axis of alignment vs in archery, all 3 axis of alignment get dialed in on the sight, assuming the user is aware of the issue and the sight has the adjustment capability.

For reference, 1st axis in the link above would be like looking up and down a hill, 2nd axis is what we would traditionally think of as cant on a bipod (and what bubble levels on both rifles and bows check for), and 3rd axis would be like panning the rifle or possibly a barrel / bullet hole that isn't square against the receiver or otherwise doesn't point where the scope points. I don't think first axis is a concern in either given that we aim up/down for different distances anyways. And 2nd we normally look for and correct. However, I'm wondering about the 3rd axis.

Do we simply not worry about it because 1) scopes are long enough to prevent most of the above from happening at a practical level, i.e. we would see it and fix it), 2) modern rifle manufacturing is typically good enough to prevent too much of the above and 3) what little we can't catch would be negligible vs all other factors or simply approximated out at different distances with our DOPE data?
For example, in an extreme example, imagine a scope that's sitting 2deg panned to the right but is level otherwise and the barrel + receiver is point forward at 0deg and otherwise level. Now if we shoot up or down hill, not only would the scope be pointing off to the right, but it would be canted as well, throwing things off in 2 directions, of course with the error becoming more as we go further out. Now, imagine the same thing but at amounts within tolerance stacking, etc. - probably not a real issue at say 100yds, but I'm wondering if this is a factor past 1000.

Stop overthinking things. A rifle is not a bow and a rifle scope is not a pin sight.

Speaking of overthinking, for your Bow Sight, you are using 3 Euler Angles.

In a Rifle, you are also using 3 Euler Angles. By lining up the shot you are centering/aligning 2 (up/down and left/right) of the 3. The third is indeed your rifle cant which can be aligned via cross-hairs or bubble level or as el jeffe says--your ears (where your body equiplibrium is calibrated)

Since we live on a flat earth as a good aproximation (yes I am trolling) your brain knows "down" and thus can adjust for cant. However cant, given the ballistics of a rifle and generaly constancy of gravity and ballistics can reduce the problem to 2 angles, as long as you know the distance.

And for those of you going "WTF is an Euler Angle?" A point in space can de descibed by the angles it makes with the 3 perpendicular axis. (along with a distance).