• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

3x18 Reccomendations

jLorenzo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2017
Looking for a mil, 3x18 for an SPR.
Will be paper punching, the occasional match and some varmint control.

Looking at the Trijicon Tenmile but it seems a bit expensive, love the reticle though

Primary Arms 3x18 Athena BPR mil is also an option, like the price and reticle but they're aren't any available that I can find

Seeing some 4.5x18 Bushnells on the px, dont mind the g3 reticle but not sure about them overall

I prefer a 44mm objective also.
Would like to keep it under 1000$ but would go for around 1200 for something nice like the Trijicon looks.
I assume I wont be going past 800y very often but I like having the option to dial in some 1,000y + shots for fun so elevation travel is a consideration, probably will go with a 20 moa mount.
Am I missing anything?

I think you’re in the money with the Bushnell LRHS 4.5-18. I love mine.
There may be a replacement out soon though, so perhaps hold out for a bit longer.

Mark 5hd certainly fits your requirements.
Maybe keep an eye out in the PX for a deal on a used one, could maybe find one for around 1200.

What about 3-21? Plenty of Bushnells out there for less than $1k
Im considering it, it may be stupid but I am not a fan of 50mm objectives on an SPR, too bulky imo but if I was just bench shooting it I would go that way. Also weight, I would like to back off to min power and take off hand shots if I want to.

I like it but seems like a bit of an off brand, are they the ones that make the laser grips?
Also for that money I would prefer a tree reticle. Ill look into this one some more though, thanks.
If you are dialing elevation, then a tree reticle is inconsequential.
Crimson Trace is a good company, this is a quality japanese made optic.
I can understand the reticle thing though. I have several scopes with the tree type, but I also have two that are similar in execution to this reticle, and find it very useful.

If I was in the market for a 3-18, I would be all over this.
Aren't the ten mile scopes all SFP? (I'm nor sure)

Would a 4-20 suit you?
there are a couple of those that may be in your price range.

If you are dialing elevation, then a tree reticle is inconsequential.
I can understand the reticle thing though. I have several scopes with the tree type, but I also have two that are similar in execution to this reticle, and find it very useful.

If I was in the market for a 3-18, I would be all over this.
Aren't the ten mile scopes all SFP? (I'm nor sure)

Would a 4-20 suit you?
there are a couple of those that may be in your price range.
I prefer a clean tree reticle, dont like stuff like the h59 so much. If Im taking my time and the scope tracks Ill definitely dial but when shooting matches with multiple targets at different ranges I like to have the option to hold.
The Tenmiles Ive seen were ffp. Im still considering a 4x20 or something like that but again I am not a big fan of the 50mm objective on a SPR, scopes in that mag range seem to weigh more and have taller/bulkier turrets. Trying to keep things as slim and light as I realistically can.

Reactions: rippit
I'm on my second Crimson Trace Series 5 3-18, and I have been absolutely underwhelmed. Illumination is not daylight bright, and the reticle is borderline unusable at lower powers....you can barely see it at 3-5x, and even at 18x, it still doesn't "fill" the FOV. Don't get me wrong, I am a huge fan of floating center dots....but this one is simply too small. Optically, I can't tell any significant difference between the CT and a Japanese made Bushnell Elite Tactical DMR II 3-21x or Philippines manufactured Burris XTR II 4-20x. But those aren't even my biggest gripes with the scope. The turrets have too much slop/rotational play, and aren't as solid as what you would expect from a Japanese optic. I sent my first one back to Midway, and the second one (while slightly better) still has the slop.

Reactions: jLorenzo
I'm on my second Crimson Trace Series 5 3-18, and I have been absolutely underwhelmed. Illumination is not daylight bright, and the reticle is borderline unusable at lower powers....you can barely see it at 3-5x, and even at 18x, it still doesn't "fill" the FOV. Don't get me wrong, I am a huge fan of floating center dots....but this one is simply too small. Optically, I can't tell any significant difference between the CT and a Japanese made Bushnell Elite Tactical DMR II 3-21x or Philippines manufactured Burris XTR II 4-20x. But those aren't even my biggest gripes with the scope. The turrets have too much slop/rotational play, and aren't as solid as what you would expect from a Japanese optic. I sent my first one back to Midway, and the second one (while slightly better) still has the slop.
Good feedback. Might be a reason why they have apparently been discontinued.