• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

4.050 Magazine

edlin_79

Luke
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2017
Whidbey Island
What caliber was this magazine designed for? And further, what's the most optimal caliber that can feed from this magazine that has the most long distance capability? I know that I've been "wearing out" a lot of questions in ELR with a few posts but I'm trying to gather enough information to make good decisions. Appreciate it fellas.

Most don’t use a mag in elr. Bullet tips get beat up and flight times are so long you can shoot, eject, reload by hand and then watch your impact.

There isn’t enough information in your post to answer your question. Though I wish I had a 4.050 mag for my 300wm sometimes

Reactions: edlin_79
4.05 would be excellent for hunting bullets in 300 and 338 rum as well as 300 and 338/378.

I think I was at 4” with 300 OTM’s in my 338 with a short throat for solids similar to the standard throat.
AC4B3EB0-0147-41A9-981B-25C3A7D99F7A.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: edlin_79 and BCX
Most don’t use a mag in elr. Bullet tips get beat up and flight times are so long you can shoot, eject, reload by hand and then watch your impact.

There isn’t enough information in your post to answer your question. Though I wish I had a 4.050 mag for my 300wm sometimes
Well I guess I'm a little confused in refererence to these big actions being cut to accept mag feeding, take a Defiance/Curtis/Stiller LM action for instance, their big actions (.750 bolt) can be cut for both. What's the purpose? As you said that most use single feed; I would assume because of COAL limitations. I'm guessing like Steelhead said; so hunters can use them with what I assume is cartridges that don't need to be really long. There's a .375 Cheytac on GB that is built on a Stiller action in a Cadex chassis; it comes with a magazine but none of the ammo that comes with it (I'm assuming it's factory loaded ammo) fits in the magazine so the rifle has to be single fed. This rifle is a good example of my confusion. What would be the purpose of building this particular rifle like this? Below is the ad from GB. I think this is a confusing ad anyway "CheyTac Tac 408 chambered in 375CT" doesn't make any sense to me lol. Anyway, thanks for the info.

"Up for auction we have a CheyTac Tac 408 bolt action rifle chambered in .375CT. This is a monster of a rifle! Here are some of the specs:

Cadex Dual Strike Chassis
Stihler Action
Jewel Trigger at 6oz
Ivey 50 mil adjustable mount
Nightforce beast scope. H59 reticle
Benchmark barrel. 1.8.5 twist
Cadex. bipod
Custom Cerokote

This rifle comes packaged in a Pelican Vault. It includes 20 rounds of ammunition and the die set to start loading your own. The only negative we see in this package is the conversion to .375CT makes this a single shot bolt action. The .375CT rounds are ever so slightly too long for the magazine. This may be fixable, but we don't alter consignment firearms."

Some guys just want to mag feed. Hunting a mag is nice but I don’t use one most of the time. If your running factory ammo most times it will mag feed. Can’t see a reason to mag feed a ct unless in battle or hunting. Jmo.

It’s the bullets we use in ELR that causes them to be too long. You can load lightener weight bullets under mag length but they won’t perform like modern lathe turned or other high BC bullets.

Even if they did fit, most precision shooters single feed anyway because mag feeding ammo scratches you brass and puts pressure on the bullet causing it to be seated deeper in the case or out of concentricity.

Had a 338 lapua for a bit that had a 4" magazine with bottom metal that seekins used to make. Wasn't getting much longer than that in there.

They should mag feed if shooting 350 grain SMK's but most ELR shooters use solids of some sort which are longer in order to make weight.
I believe Tac 408 is just the name Stiller chose for their Cheytac bolt face capable action, and I believe the 408 was developed before being shaped into the 375 CT.

Scott

I tried to get bottom metal for a Surgeon XL w the MDT 4.050 mag for a long range hunting rifle. Mirage chassis would be my only option w that mag. The mag well needs to be opened up on the action for the 4.050 mag.

Reactions: Earnhardt
338 SnipeTac?

338 Carnie with 265 badlands. Pretty much a Snipetac
I'm assuming that is based on the Cheytac parent case (.64) and that magazine is specific to the Cheytac platform (M200 or 300). Are you getting the optimal COAL you want inside that mag?

Yes, Cheytac parent case. These mags feed a stiller tac driver action. I have plenty of case capacity to spare so seating depth matter very little in this application.

Yes, Cheytac parent case. These mags feed a stiller tac driver action. I have plenty of case capacity to spare so seating depth matter very little in this application.
I'm going to buy a Stiller Tac Driver action and hold on to it until I have some more funds to get everything else. After everything that I've read, this is the route I'm going to go. What barrel length would give me optimal speeds with the 50 cal powder? Have you tried the 50 cal powder in your Carnie? Do you think any of these barrel manufacturers would spin me a shouldered pre-fit for the Tac-Driver? I'm thinking I'm going to get it chambered in 338 something and stick to the lighter bullets like you have pictured. What would you recommend for chassis or stock? Appreciate it.

Are you building a hunting or comp rifle? McMillan Supermag stocks, Cadex Dual Strike and XLR works good w the Stiller Tac Driver actions.

I'm going to buy a Stiller Tac Driver action and hold on to it until I have some more funds to get everything else. After everything that I've read, this is the route I'm going to go. What barrel length would give me optimal speeds with the 50 cal powder? Have you tried the 50 cal powder in your Carnie? Do you think any of these barrel manufacturers would spin me a shouldered pre-fit for the Tac-Driver? I'm thinking I'm going to get it chambered in 338 something and stick to the lighter bullets like you have pictured. What would you recommend for chassis or stock? Appreciate it.
Which powder and what round are you wanting to know about? I run H50bmg in the Carnie. It’s still really too fast of a powder for the capacity to bore ration. A tac driver with a Lapua bolt is a pretty nice setup. As for chassis or stocks, that’s a personal preference thing. Also you need to consider your use.

Are you building a hunting or comp rifle? McMillan Supermag stocks, Cadex Dual Strike and XLR works good w the Stiller Tac Driver actions.
Just a long range capable set up. I don't hunt. I like to shoot metal targets that are a long way out, or at least I want to do that lol.

Which powder and what round are you wanting to know about? I run H50bmg in the Carnie. It’s still really too fast of a powder for the capacity to bore ration. A tac driver with a Lapua bolt is a pretty nice setup. As for chassis or stocks, that’s a personal preference thing. Also you need to consider your use.
I figure that H50BMG is a pretty good powder to build around considering no one ever ran out of it during this pandemic raid of primers and powders. It's also temperature stable and still fairly priced. What would be THE optimal burning cartridge using the H50BMG powder if you had your pick? Assuming of course the different variations of cartridges built off a Tac Driver sized action. Thanks.

It absolutely ran out. It popped in stock today at midsouth. 375 Cheytac is pretty much the easy button but it’s a bigger boltface. The nice thing about the XC is the Lapua boltface