• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 4-16 vs 6-24...

Wardy

"Gordy"
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2008
North Eastern NC
I am really eyeballing me a Vortex Viper PST and am torn between the 4-16 and the 6-24....the scope will be used primairly for hunting and some LR shooting for fun. Since it is being used for hunting mainly and I really like the upper magnification.

Question, is there any discernable difference in the light gathering ability between the 4 and the 6 power?

That make any since?

Re: 4-16 vs 6-24...

If you are mainly going to be using the rifle for hunting and some LR shooting, I would go with the 4-16. The next question you need to ask is FFP or SFP?

Yeah, havnt had the joy of using a ffp scope yet, i do realize the benefits....you're right, that'll be the next thought in question!

I prefer scopes with a lower beginning magnification. It drastically helps your field of view if you're tracking something in close...

Correct me if i'm wrong but I was under the assumption that light gathering has to do with the diameter of the tube and not the magnification range...

You need to take your magnification and divide it by the objective size to get your exit pupil. The exit pupil will give you an idea of light transmission but doesn't take into account the quality of the glass, coatings, etc. I believe an exit pupil of 8 is about the best that your eye can resolve, if I remember correctly.