• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 4/4 vs 4/6 screw rings

bh-ltr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2007
Eugene, OR
Is there really any real benefit to the 4/6 over the 4/4? Specifically looking at Seekins Precision rings.

I guess it depends on what scope you are mounting, and what rifle it is going on. A light, heavy recoiling rifle is going to put more stress on the mounts. Especially when coupled with a heavy scope. Rings can get spendy... But you usually get what you pay for! Nothing but respect for Seekins, even though I don't use them.

Well this is a light recoiling rifle with a heavy scope. Remington 700P LTR in 308 with a S&B PMII 5-25 with sunshade. Currently I have the Badger USMC 1" 4/6 rings as those were what CS Gunworks had in stock and included with the scope when I placed the order. Now I'm considering the Seekins rings to save some weight. The 1" 4/4 are 5.2 oz and the 4/6's are 5.8 and only 10 bucks more. The Badger's weigh 11oz so I'd be able to cut that weight in about half. I've also been considering stepping down to a 4-16x42mm to save a bit more weight.

Honestly I'd probably not notice any of these differences and should just leave well enough alone.

~Brett

I purchased two sets of seekin 34mm 6/4 rings. I used both of the 6-screw rings on the 300wm and the 4-screw rings on the 308.

I have never seen a need for the 4/6 or 6/6 rings. Seekins 4/4 have plenty of holding strength. I run S&B 5-25s on light and heavy recoiling rifles and Seekins 4/4s have never slipped on me.

4/6 won't hurt anything if you wanted to feel extra comfy with them but ring spacing and tube length is the only thing to watch with the wider 6 screw rings.