• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

4/5-port Muzzle Brake with straight ports and wrench flats..?

CK1.0

\m/ SLAYER \m/
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2020
Nashville
Does anyone know of a self-timing 4/5-port muzzle brake out there with straight ports and wrench flats..?

I've been running a 5-port Insite Arms Heathen (Gen 1) for the last couple of years and it's been great, very little blast back at the shooter while still reducing recoil, and no headache after shooting... except for me having to fight with a strap-wrench every time I install/uninstall it if I don't want it coming loose on me.

I haven't found a "self-timing" brake yet that will stay tight without having to use a strap-wrench to really get it torqued on there. I've seen just about every popular self-timing brake come loose at bad times, either on me, or other guys I've been in a squad with, this includes brakes from A419, APA, etc. That "hand tight" shit is bullshit.

So for my next brake, I want wrench flats or another solid way (besides a strap-wrench) to take it on and off and tighten it down.

Lastly, I don't want any more concussion back at the shooter than I'm used to with the Heathen (which is one of, if not, the best out there for that)... so that usually means brakes that incorporate some straight ports, the brakes with all the ports angled back at the shooter are completely out for me, I like my hearing and driving home without a headache after the match more than that extra few percent of recoil reduction thanks.

I was looking at the ACE brake, dig the hex at the muzzle (in leu of wrench flats), don't dig those tiny little hex screws on the collar, and not sure they'd hold up to the brake being torqued on and off over time?

Any ideas? Does anyone know of a brand/brake I'm not aware of or am overlooking..?

TIA

Last edited:
Ace brake man. That is the way. If you pull the entire brake off and leave it in the same barrel, you don’t have to worry about the the little hex screws. Set and forget

Last edited:
Ace brake man. That is the way

What's up with those little hex screws though?

It looks like when one would go to tighten the brake down using the big hex at the muzzle, the mechanical advantage would easily overcome those little hex screws and then it'd spin on you?

(I think maybe I've got tiny-hex-screw-PTSD from dealing with other shit that's messed up on me lol)

PVA brakes have what you want.

Hmmm... the Avenger looks interesting (of course it's sold out), but they all seem to have the ports angled back at the shooter, so I'd have to get behind one for a few pops to see how they feel I guess...

Hmmm... the Avenger looks interesting (of course it's sold out), but they all seem to have the ports angled back at the shooter, so I'd have to get behind one for a few pops to see how they feel I guess...
If you want it to reduce recoil they need to be pointed rearward. Otherwise it is just a compensator. Now there are some better designs for it not affecting the shooter. I don't rememberwhich episode but Josh at PVA @bohem talked about it on @BLKWLFK9 podcast Just F'n Send It.

They have a blast shield so the blast doesn’t come back at the shooter like others. The Jet4 is what I would recommend for you.

Reactions: CK1.0
What's up with those little hex screws though?

It looks like when one would go to tighten the brake down using the big hex at the muzzle, the mechanical advantage would easily overcome those little hex screws and then it'd spin on you?

(I think maybe I've got tiny-hex-screw-PTSD from dealing with other shit that's messed up on me lol)

I don’t know how to answer that as I just put it together and figured it out. ACE can better explain how it all works together. But i know there’s no issue taking it off and reinstalling it with the little hex screws. I think it’s just your PTSD that has you worried 😂

Reactions: CK1.0
+1 for the PVA jet-4, kind to shooter, good reduction.

Thanks guys, I may try both the ACE and the Jet4, maybe winner stays, runner-up ends up in the PX...

I've got ~200rds to decide (that's the next time I'll be reaching for a strap-wrench).

Reactions: Krob95
FWIW, found this video and these dudes went all out. The numbers are a little confusing, but they do show how some of the brakes discussed earlier in the thread (ACE, PVA) give up a little recoil reduction for the sake of shooter comfort, and others go for all-out recoil reduction shooter be damned (I'm looking at you APA Fat Bastard lol), they even had a Heathen in the test (the newer Gen2, not the Gen1 like I have, but I'd guess their performance is probably similar):

Reactions: Keokuk