• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7/17/20 AI update- Is it worth trading out for an AI?

hafejd30

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 27, 2019
    MI
    I know this is based on personal choice but I’ve been bitten by the AI bug lately and wondering if trading/selling some rifles out to afford one is worth it.

I posted the 2 I would probably need to trade or sell below to afford even a used one AIAE MKIII

I’m just wondering what your personal opinions are. If this was your trade off would you consider it worth it?

Gun would be used heavily as a hunting gun from a stationary position. Weight not a concern. 100-500 yard shooting.

I keep returning to the fact that the Rock River will do everything I need. Than still end up drooling on the AI......

DDM4V11
    RRA LAR8 308 Win

FC8C2218-F74A-44E1-B55F-E46C25A27637.jpeg
    A8B39B2B-CB12-482A-BCFA-99B7E73CAC9C.jpeg

I would have to keep that gun and save up and get the ai then you would have two option of what you want to shoot that day . Unless you really think your going to get your money back on the gun you trade in or find someone willing to over pay you for a gun .

I have a jar collecting money just for an ai along with 6 other jars that get a few dollars every week not a lot more than nothing about a grand so far . I just think trading my guns I would loose more money than I would get and to me its a waist . that and I am a want to be gun hoarder / collector . well good luck and may what ever you decide to do works out for you .

Reactions: 96coal449
    If you can be patient and don't need a safe queen watch Mile Highs gun broker listings. They usually get in LE trade in AI's once or twice a year. MKIII's and AW's do show up every now and then, but it's far less often than the MKI's and MKII's.

The trade in usually show heavy signs of use, but they are always in solid working condition and they are a heck of a deal with MKI's are around $1500 and MKII's around $1800.

I would have to keep that gun and save up and get the ai then you would have two option of what you want to shoot that day . Unless you really think your going to get your money back on the gun you trade in or find someone willing to over pay you for a gun .

I do like this advice to. As it has crossed my mind to just go this route. With new baby and what Not it would take a bit to save up but probably worth it in the end. I have a AAC SD I thought about semi cloning but it’s just not the same

Reactions: MateoBx
    If you can be patient and don't need a safe queen watch Mile Highs gun broker listings. They usually get in LE trade in AI's once or twice a year. MKIII's and AW's do show up every now and then, but it's far less often than the MKI's and MKII's.

The trade in usually show heavy signs of use, but they are always in solid working condition and they are a heck of a deal with MKI's are around $1500 and MKII's around $1800.

Thank you! I will have to keep an eye out for that. Both guns above are solid guns and took me a while to get where I wanted them. Only guns I have to consider really tho as anything else either gets used lots or doesn’t have enough value to add up.
    I’ll have to start my jar haha

I've sold many guns over the years to fund a new gun purchase I just had to have. With a few exceptions, I've later regretted selling just about all of them. Guns that had sentimental value, rare guns, expensive guns, really accurate guns, etc. I wish I could have them all back now, LOL. So now I don't sell my guns anymore. If I want something new, I wait and save for it.

I have two LH models. I bought my AT in 2015 and thought WOW...the hype was actually not as good as the rifle...I used to tell people that the only downside of buying an AI is that you'll never buy another rifle again.

I didn't figure on buying an AXMC in 338 LM...labored over it for a while...can't tell you how happy I am in doing it.

I have two older aw&awsm and have been considering selling Several other Percision rifles that I have to buy a AXMC So I kind of feel your pain in needing to sell rifles to buy another one they’re expensive but damn they’re nice

Since I’ve been bitten by the AI bug I’ll have to have one now. Just have to be patient. If the dems drive the AR price through the roof I do have some cheaper ones I’ll recover from my boating accident and sell if the price goes up.

@Nik H

Your post is like handing me a beer at an AA meeting! ?

I can’t vouch for this particular rifle per se, but I sell stuff all the time to get other stuff. I have the money to keep them all but what’s the point. I’m not a collector. The only guns I wouldn’t sell would be rare and hard to replace. Everything else including the ones you have pictured are a dime a dozen. Remember it’s not what you have, it’s what you have played with that counts.

Sell the rifles and buy the AI if you will enjoy it more. You can always buy another AR if you decide you want it back.

My other thought until I could afford one was to put an AI chassis on my 700 AACSD. I tuned the trigger to 3lbs and the action on this thing is silky smooth. Might be something I do anyways but also may guide me to which AI May be best. I like the traditional look of the thumb hole chassis on the AW etc. However I have not got behind one and see it can be a love/hate relationship amongst some owners

Wouldn’t cost much to buy a used AI for this in the PX to try out. Then sell this carbon chassis or the AI after I try it

DBD74A07-E6F3-434A-8ED0-C1DBFF3C7AB7.jpeg

The magic isn’t in the chassis. It’s the complete AI system the way it feeds and reliability.

I 100% agree and have read that several times amongst those who have tried both. Which I why I want that ?

I’m calculating my current savings plan without selling something.....looks like whatever they come with for SHOT 2039 has my name written all over it!

In all seriousness I do have some stuff I can sell that I wouldn’t miss. Won’t net much but every bit counts. You guys have me convinced, as did all the reviews I’ve read etc. I’ll have to get in touch with mile high and see what they get in. When I’m ready to get serious I’ll post up a WTB ad in the Px and start shopping.

I know there are a ton of forums on this already but if you guys have a preference on which model to get let me know. I do have a 300 WM Savage in a MDT ESS, 300 GAP in a Cadex, The Rock River above and the 700 AAC SD Above. So I’m looking at the original AE/AW thumb hole chassis as something a bit different. I understand the differences between them but if one really stands out to you owners please let me know. This will be a while most likely before I purchase so I have some time to research

Thank you guys!

Just FYI I don’t plan to use multiple calibers. Most likely a 308 or 260. As I have plenty of reloading stuff for each. I also don’t need to change barrels in 5 minutes. Changing when shot out etc will be most likely the only case

Last edited:
    If you want a completely badass rifle:

Used non folding AT: $3k (as low as $2500 if you find and awesome deal)

AX buttstock: $800

Obsession chassis:$1200

$4500-$5k for basically a perfected/modernized AX rifle

Some of the EuroOptic demo AX rifles come in below $5000 also.

Reactions: M8541Reaper
    I’m calculating my current savings plan without selling something.....looks like whatever they come with for SHOT 2039 has my name written all over it!

In all seriousness I do have some stuff I can sell that I wouldn’t miss. Won’t net much but every bit counts. You guys have me convinced, as did all the reviews I’ve read etc. I’ll have to get in touch with mile high and see what they get in. When I’m ready to get serious I’ll post up a WTB ad in the Px and start shopping.

I know there are a ton of forums on this already but if you guys have a preference on which model to get let me know. I do have a 300 WM Savage in a MDT ESS, 300 GAP in a Cadex, The Rock River above and the 700 AAC SD Above. So I’m looking at the original AE/AW thumb hole chassis as something a bit different. I understand the differences between them but if one really stands out to you owners please let me know. This will be a while most likely before I purchase so I have some time to research

Thank you guys!

Just FYI I don’t plan to use multiple calibers. Most likely a 308 or 260. As I have plenty of reloading stuff for each. I also don’t need to change barrels in 5 minutes. Changing when shot out etc will be most likely the only case
    Buy a used AT and then buy the thumbhole stock skins. I have a soft spot for that look. My original poor mans AI chassis 700 build had that 2.0 thumbhole folder. the AX stock is way nicer ergonomically tho.

Reactions: hafejd30
    Or a TRG.

Sirhr

I second @sirhrmechanic suggestion. Arguably splitting hairs between the AI and the TRG accuracy-wise. There are some reviews on here comparing the two very favorably to one another. But the TRG is lighter, $1500 cheaper, and more than a couple people have said they felt the factory TRG bipod is the best bipod ever made. Used ones can be had for $2200-2400. Either would be an outstanding choice.

Couple thoughts:

-If you're going to spend multiple thousands buying a tier 1 rifle, maybe think of topping it with something besides a Burris.

-Coming from someone who has toddlers and also sees an AI/TRG in their future. . . If you just had a baby, and you don't already have the coin for this, you'd be wise to forget about this for a couple years.

Just do it you wont regret it! They are so fun to shoot and in my experience the best hands down out there.

Reactions: hafejd30
    i just did the opposite.... My AXMC was great in .338 and held 1/2 moa but the action is just too big to feed smaller cartridges smoothly. Machining of the action is also a little rough. Barrel shank is thick 1.3 inches so you need special barrel blanks. you are limited to large rifle primers and moderate loads or primers will pop {unless you bush the bolt), Now getting two rifles built on custom actions. I think this is a better solution for sportsmen.. if you just want to own and shoot a original sniper rifle, it is cool. i Would grab the original AWM instead for pure .338lm. Otherwise there are better shooting machines with less issues at lower price.

I personally would buy the AI.
    No regrets selling some toys to get into the AI world for me.

I wouldn’t sell those semis to buy one. Especially at this point in time.

Save up and buy a mki or mkii or iii. Mile high has mkiis I think for like 1500 wth the nihtvision rail included. There’s been some nice ones here for $2000 also

Reactions: ddavis
    I wouldn’t sell those semis to buy one. Especially at this point in time.

Save up and buy a mki or mkii or iii. Mile high has mkiis I think for like 1500 wth the nihtvision rail included. There’s been some nice ones here for $2000 also

I sent them a PM to see when they’ll have these deals again. Haven’t heard back yet. I don’t see it listed on their site unless I just don’t know where to look.

I am willing to part with what I listed in the px for now. I’ll most likely keep the LAR8 above. The AI would be a rifle I plan to have forever. I also plan to put nicer optics on it. If I don’t have any interest in my px trades than I’ll keep saving and buy what I want eventually.

Reactions: deersniper
    VideoCapture_20200216-101516.jpg

Mk2 or mk3, cheap to get into. If you dont need super quick change barrel capability and dont have 3500+ laying around for a used at, the ae's are a great deal. I bought this mk2 for 1600, sold 308 barrel for 400 and stuck a new 6.5creed proof on it that i bought on here for 450. I'd avoid the mk1, just because they use a single stack proprietary mag, not an aics mag.

Last edited:
    I sold two customs in order to buy a Barrett MRAD. After shooting it in 338 and 260 it just further compounded the fact that I made the right decision. While the two guns I sold were more "versatile" than the MRAD mainly due to weight, I wouldn’t trade them back for anything.

I suspect that you will feel the same way when you get that AI and its shooting 1/2 moa with factory ammo. Hell I have not even loaded for my 338 yet because it shoots the factory stuff I bough for "break in" so well.

Last edited:
    How many guns can your shoot at once? How many can you have in rotation before you can’t keep the ergonomics or dope straight?

If you want a completely badass rifle:

Used non folding AT: $3k (as low as $2500 if you find and awesome deal)

AX buttstock: $800

Obsession chassis:$1200

$4500-$5k for basically a perfected/modernized AX rifle

This x100. I usually dont like selling guns at all but I made the sacrifice and dont regret it at all. I've got the accuracy obsession chassis on my AT and it made me fall even more in love with my AI. Its the only rifle I could never let go of.

How many guns can your shoot at once? How many can you have in rotation before you can’t keep the ergonomics or dope straight?

Personally, only 2 or 3 at the most. And that’s still with similar ergonomics and only a couple different cartridges to keep up with.

I might try out something else, but it either replaces one or gets tossed aside.

Too much else and I feel I will be sacrificing knowledge/experience of those particular rifles/cartridges.

I put off the AI hype as long as I could....

My folder AT quickly became my favorite rifle, and I’ve been through my share of them from bone stock to tricked out, full blown customs.

Mine won’t be going anywhere and stacking away clams for a 300 NM.

I also throw around the idea of getting a Tikka Tac A1 as well. But I think the AI is worth waiting for. I do have a GAP 300 for a long range hunting gun. Also a 260 and 300 WM in savages that are excellent along with the couple rifles posted above for hunting. So it’s more of a want than anything as I’m pretty set up currently.

335C7F49-792E-4114-AF83-FAD94B38C19C.jpeg

Reactions: JeffLebowski
    I have bought and sold many guns here on the hide and the only one I regret selling is a clone correct MK12MOD1 w/ mil return pelican case.

I sold it to fund an AT, I sold the AT to fund an AX.

I wouldn't have any hesitation to let go of the AX to fund another AI. But I would not let the AX go to fund anything other than an AI

They are tools, and unless it is something rare or sentimental, they dont warrant the attachment we have to them most of the time.

I might be in the minority here, but if I dont use it regularly, I sell it.

My experiences:

-Sako TRG M10: Had one for a couple years. Shot it around 3k .338lm rounds and 2k 308. Shot great. Fed great, no primer piercing, slick as butter, refined ergonomics. Issues: Trigger will not adjust under 2 pounds. Folding stock broke at base by screw attacment (looks like design weakness), trg monopod broke twice, barrel sleeves are not sold separately. Sako has great service here in Europe.

-AI AXMC: Had one for a couple years. Replaced M10. Shot it around 700 .338lm and 500 6mm Creedmoor (had to stop because of issues). Shot great, built like a tank. A great dedicated .338 rifle. Issues. Tried to get it to feed 6BR, quickly found this to be a lost cause, then found it fed like shit with 6cm using AW mags. Decent feeding With AICS and MDT mags. Puckered and pierced primers even on moderate and low loads when using SRP (tried different brands). Bolt slipped and I had to locktite the set screw for the firing pin (came loose), trigger is good but can not adjust below 600grams safely (i hear the competition trigger sucks). AI has crappy service here in Europe.

Comparing the actions, I liked the feel of the M10 best. Bought the rifles at a nice price but of course sold them for less.

I thought I could just buy my way out of gunsmithing but quickly found this is not the case unless you run the AI exactly as set up from factory (in .338, 308, or 260) using large rifle primers. These systems will never be optimal for PRS, thought they are among the best military sniper rifles in the world (i have my doubts about the M10 durability tho).

Next project: Defiance build in 6cm in foundation stock. Good there is little desert where i live.

I’m getting very close to purchasing an AI. I’m leaning toward the AIAT currently.

Question...

Can you dry fire the AI without hurting the gun. As in no snap caps etc. I do it all the time with savage/Rem actions but couldn’t seem to google foo if the AI were the same way.

My plan is to make this my go to rifle. Which is why I’m leaning towards the AT. So I want to get great with it. I don’t shoot PRS etc but I want to dry fire and be able to run the bolt like a champ. I watched a couple of lowlights videos (firing the AI against the RPR in a mad minute) and was very impressed how fast and smooth that bolt operates. No doubt after lots of practice etc. Also want to get used to the trigger etc.

I’m getting exited to step into the AI world of rifles. Everything I’ve read seems I should have looked into them years ago

I have an AIAX that I bought and only took out once. Very nice but heavy for hunting. Will sell if someone wants it. Will not trade.

The hunting this will be used for is “crop damage”. Essentially setting up in one spot in a field and shooting deer with DNR issued permits. And we shoot a LOT of deer lol. So the gun will get used. Reason for quick follow up shots etc. Just firing from one position on a large field 100-500 yards mainly from the prone position with no stalking walking etc except to get to hill where we set up so weight won’t really be an issue.

I have bigger guns for longer shots. I want to perfect my shooting with this rifle inside 500 yards through both dry fire and live fire. Currently I run 3 guns at this yardage for the same purpose. My goal it to make this AI the “go to” for this distance.

Gun will never be used In competition as I have guns set up for that already. Just steel and deer shooting 95% of the time from the prone position

I’ll take suggestions yet on what you guys have and prefer if you have any. I’m used to Savages and Rem 700 platforms so any preferences or issues you guys have are appreciated. Before I drop the coin on one. Currently I’m shopping the used market at used prices FYI so the real nice stuff is still out of reach and I don’t necessarily feel I need anything more than the AIAT

Reactions: BLKWLFK9