• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 4 different smiths dont want to take my money

Outsydlooknin75

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 11, 2009
DulUth Jawja
I have sent emails to 4 different places trying to get them to take my money.

Here is the deal, I have Mossberg 930 28" vent rib barrel that I have cut back to 22 1/4". I would like for it to be rethreaded to accept chokes again since I cut the threaded portion off. Now it doesnt matter what thread pattern it is threaded for as long as I cna easilly find the chokes that it is threaded to. I have a couple of Mossberg chokes already, so if I could find someone that has the accuchoke reamer that would be great.

Ive sent emails to Carlson, as to what the process is to get the work done and no response from them, same thing with Briley, I have also emailed two smaller guys, one in Mass and one here in Ga, and no reply back either.

If anyone out there can do it and be able to get it back to me by the 21st of the month ... that would be awesome ..... Ive got a match on the 23rd that Id like to be able to shoot with a choke in my shotgun.

Re: 4 different smiths dont want to take my money

Your problem doesn't seem to be so much one of getting the work done as it is getting the work done in basically less than a week including shipping to and return shipping from a smith!! That is a TALL order by any standard.

The only things I can suggest are:

1) just buy a factory Mossberg replacement barrel (24" is as close as you'll get to 22.25") that is already threaded for the accuchokes and call it a day (cost you around $175 and you can order from a number of places that keep them in stock and ready to roll);

OR

2) Give Mike Orlen a call and see if he can assist you in an expedited job...see here:

Mike Orlen Shotgun Smithing

OR

3) Try Smith's Custom Gun Repair in N. Georgia to see if they can attempt what you are asking:

http://www.smithcustomgunrepair.com/

GOOD LUCK!!

ORD, this isnt a recent wish .... I actually emailed the gentleman in Mass (Mr Orlen) over 6 months ago, Carlson was over a month ago, the gentleman in Ga was a week ago and his turn around time was 1 to 3 weeks.

Carlson says 2 day turn time .... but I cant get any info as to where to send or anything like that ....

Its not that Im waiting till the last minute, I have been attempting to get this done for some time now.

I didn't figure you waited this long to begin the process or to try to get the work performed...sorry if it came across that way. I was just saying that at this point in time with a week from tomorrow being your deadline to have the work done and the shotgun in your hands, it is going to be tall order.

As for Carlson's...even if you have to pay the "Hurry the Hell Up" fee, you may still be able to get the job done by them. I just looked back at a receipt from an 870 Wingmaster barrel they did for me a while back and this is the address I used to ship:

Carlson Choke Tubes
720 South Second Street
Atwood, KS 67730

Good luck!!

This guy, though I haven't used him yet, has a *phenomenal* personality and has been instrumental in helping me through a similar situation to yours:

http://roseactionsports.com/

Looks like he's about 5 hours away.

There is a guy in Sandy Springs that I'm almost certain could help you... I know he does a fair share of threading barrels and such. PM me if you want his info.

I'm not defending the practice, but a lot of business, both big and small are not prompt about replying to email, often a phone call is much quicker, especially for an expedited job. This is especially true with small shops as often they are one man operations.

Several years ago I emailed Mike Orlen about putting screw-in tubes in two shotguns, I never heard back from him; frustrating, but not a big deal as I was not in a rush. A week or so later I gave him a call, got his VM and left a message, he returned my wall within the hour. He does great work and is generally very prompt on his turn around times.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: emmagee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not defending the practice, but a lot of business, both big and small are not prompt about replying to email, often a phone call is much quicker, especially for an expedited job. This is especially true with small shops as often they are one man operations. </div></div>

emmagee is right, try picking up the phone.

I have emailed and called Mike Orlen a few times wanting some work done on a Winchester 1200 barrel and never got a response. I wound up shipping it to Polychoke and had the vented adjustable choke installed. I'd have preferred flush chokes but like the OP I needed it relatively soon.