• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

40,000 Bees Attack Police

Lawless

Pureblood
Minuteman
  • Feb 11, 2018
    NC

CNN —
    They were responding to a report of a bee sting. But their problem was about to get a whole lot worse.

Firefighters and police were attacked Thursday afternoon by a swarm of nearly 40,000 Africanized bees.

Three of the first responders were rushed to the hospital, while the others quickly shut down the block.

"I've been with the fire department 18 years now and responded to several bee incidents," Pasadena Fire Department public information officer Lisa Derderian told CNN. "But never to this magnitude."

Becoming quite a fairly common problem in metro NYC as well. A lot of hipsters and yuppies are embracing the trend of "self sustenance" coupled with "vegan, green, and 100% organic" and are setting up beehives on the rooftops of their apartment complexes. Problem is, a lot of them do not know how to troubleshoot problems if they happen. They have the same mentality as Bloomberg had about farming... "Just put a seed in the soil and add water".
    smiley_freak.gif
    Guess in their fairytale lands, crop diseases, zoonosis, storms, predator attacks, broken tools and equipment, floods, droughts, varmint infestations, etc, etc, never happens... When the bees start acting up or are agitated due to one thing or another, the first reactions of these beauty salon farmers is to run screaming from their homes and call the police...

Last year alone Brooklyn had 7 incidents. And yes, the NYPD actually has a dedicated full time beekeeper squad now due to the uptick of these cases.
    smiley_freak.gif

Reactions: Bradu
    Becoming quite a fairly common problem in metro NYC as well. A lot of hipsters and yuppies are embracing the trend of "self sustenance" coupled with "vegan, green, and 100% organic" and are setting up beehives on the rooftops of their apartment complexes. Problem is, a lot of them do not know how to troubleshoot problems if they happen. They have the same mentality as Bloomberg had about farming... "Just put a seed in the soil and add water".
    smiley_freak.gif
    Guess in their fairytale lands, crop diseases, zoonosis, storms, predator attacks, broken tools and equipment, floods, droughts, varmint infestations, etc, etc, never happens... When the bees start acting up or are agitated due to one thing or another, the first reactions of these beauty salon farmers is to run screaming from their homes and call the police...

Last year alone Brooklyn had 7 incidents. And yes, the NYPD actually has a dedicated full time beekeeper squad now due to the uptick of these cases.
    smiley_freak.gif

If this had come from anything but you, Blue Sky, I'd have thought it was from The Onion or Babylon Bee (pardon the pun!). But, you know, I can see this totally happening.

Yeah, beekeeping in NYC. What a great idea. So much concrete to pollinate... so much nectar in those dumpsters.

But knowing how these man-bun hipsters act when they try and set up their organic homesteads and end up frozen into their yurts....

Believe it. Sadly... believe it.

Sirhr

It would be a bummer to be the police of fire department in an instance like that

- but -

It would really be unfortunate to be the dude that has to stick around and count them. Evidently he just gave up after awhile and estimated the quantity. Cuz "40,000" sounds like a nice round number to me.

I think you would have better luck counting chickens in the barn lot. I have done that and you can't get away with "about 50 or so".

I mean 47 is about 50, but is 38,362 the same as 40,000 and how would you count 38,362 bees anyway?

• Haha
    Reactions: OldSalty
    Oh my GOD, are the bees OK. They didn't get coronavirus or aids, did they?

Does everything that comes from Africa have a mean streak in it? Lions and tigers and bees as such.
    Maybe these are Ghetto Bees.
    Ghett enough of them hanging out together and there will be trouble? IDK
    I hope they don't show up where I live.

40,000 is about 1 hive of bees. I have bee hives, most of the time they are pretty quiet, but in the fall u have to be careful, they think u are stealing their food for the winter and get very nasty. I don't really like to smoke my hives when i check them, so in the fall, they attack the shit out of me. When i'm done, i'll jump on my 4 wheeler and take off down the road for about a 1/4 mile to get them off me. Spring and summer they are pretty gentle. I open up my hives from the rear and they usually pretty much ignore me. Still get stung once i awhile, never get used to it.