• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.40, A#2, and Hornady bullets

Seth W

Private
Minuteman
Sep 1, 2023
USA
Last night, I went to load some more .40 S&W, which I haven't done since the summer. I started reloading this time last winter, and bought the Hornady manual, and that booklet that had loading data from all the billet and powder manufacturers. I went to double check the loading data I was using, and I was shocked and somewhat horrified to realize that there may not be specific printed data for what I was doing. I was SURE there was, and now I'm not sure where my original numbers came from.

This stems from me choosing Accurate #2 as a powder, since that was what was available at the time. It says right on the bottle, good for 9mm and 40, which was also somewhat of a reason for the choice. All the bullets I use are Hornady, the specific ones in question are 180gr TCFP. Therein lies the problem. There is no loading data for A#2 and this specific bullet in either Hornady's or Accurate's printed material.

So, my question is how far off the reservation am I? Is it enough that I'm sticking to Hornady 180gr bullets, and that a change from XTP to HAP to TCFP isn't a big deal, given that there is load data for the XTP at least?

Additional info; not looking to make special ammo here, just safe stuff that gets the job done.