• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 40 moa 34mm Rings

Jong

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 7, 2009
Petoskey MI
Hey guys,

Does anyone know where I can get some 40 moa 34mm rings for my Premier Reticle 5x25 ASAP? I tried Desert Tactical but they don't have any in stock right now. I just got home from Iraq and can't find the ones that I have. Moved last spring so not sure where they went to.

Re: 40 moa 34mm Rings

Near "might" have something 40moa, but I wouldn't be too sure. He could make it for you, but it wouldn't ship tomorrow.

You could get the Larue 50bmg mount, it's 30moa and would likely be in stock. Ask if they make a 40moa when you call, you just never know.

Or better yet buy this set of 30moa rings from Rob01, great deal at $175.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2078892#Post2078892

Thanks Jason. If you can get by with 30 MOA they would work fine on a flat top like the DTA.

Thanks for the info. I am trying to stretch out my 338 Lapua as much as possible as I am going to Gunsite for their XLR course. How much of a difference am I really talking about versus 20, 30, or 40 moa? I all ready have a 20 moa base and unfortunately have misplaced by 40 moa rings.

With my Premier and a 338 Norma Mag over 1k was not even close to an issue with a 20moa base. I don't know the overall travel of your scope, but 30moa and a Premier will get you a very long way.

As a temp solution you could use your 20moa base and put Rob01's 20moa rings on top of it for 40 moa. Cheek weld might be a little high, but it'd get you there.

How far are you hoping to shoot at the XLR course? How much elevation will you need to get there?

I don't have a 338 so not sure how many MOA it runs normally to distance but with the 30 MOA rings and that scope you will have about 80 MOA of elevation before you needed to start using hold overs.

Just ran the numbers for BH 338 Lapua with the 300grn bullet at 2800fps and you will be able to get to about 1950 yards at sea level with just the 30 MOA rings and the scope. Put that on the 20 MOA base for a total of 100 MOA then you can get to about 2150. Seems like plenty of elevation. I would be more worried about where the bullet starts going subsonic.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With my Premier and a 338 Norma Mag over 1k was not even close to an issue with a 20moa base. I don't know the overall travel of your scope, but 30moa and a Premier will get you a very long way.

As a temp solution you could use your 20moa base and put Rob01's 20moa rings on top of it for 40 moa. Cheek weld might be a little high, but it'd get you there.

How far are you hoping to shoot at the XLR course? How much elevation will you need to get there? </div></div>

2000 meters hopefully at around 4500 ft. According to FFS IV I need 31.5 mils to get there. With a 20 moa DTA rings and base for my DTA SRS I have 20 mil of elevation left with my current zero.

I found this.....

338 Lapua mag 300gr SMK @ 2750 (BC .768)
1500yds with 10mph cross wind
Drop: 54 MOA
Drift: 7.5 MOA

So, looks like you could get to a mile with a 30moa base.

What range are you zeroed at? And what bullet and velocity?

I just ran it on JBM at 4500 elevation with the 300grn bullet at 2800fps and it says 25.6 mils or 88.1 MOA to 2000 meters from a 100 yard zero.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jong</div><div class="ubbcode-body">2000 meters hopefully at around 4500 ft. According to FFS IV I need 31.5 mils to get there. With a 20 moa DTA rings and base for my DTA SRS I have 20 mil of elevation left with my current zero.</div></div>

Adding 20moa will gain you about 6 mils, so you'll definitely be using holdovers if your math is right. I do agree with Rob01 though, something seems odd with the math, 31.5 mils is a bunch....but I'm not an XLR guy so it could be right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What range are you zeroed at? And what bullet and velocity?

I just ran it on JBM at 4500 elevation with the 300grn bullet at 2800fps and it says 25.6 mils or 88.1 MOA to 2000 meters from a 100 yard zero. </div></div>

My math could easily be screwed up. That is why I am going to this course!!
grin.gif
I am a total FNG at this long range stuff and just starting to figure it out. I am using a 250 gr smk that was chrono at 3015.

JBM said 26.2 mils or 90.2 MOA to get to 2000 meters with that load.

2000 yards only takes 21.5 mils or 73.9 MOA.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JBM said 26.2 mils or 90.2 MOA to get to 2000 meters with that load.

2000 yards only takes 21.5 mils or 73.9 MOA. </div></div>

Thanks for the info, must have inputted something wrong on my FFS. Since I need 6 more mils I am going to look for 40 moa scope rings.

No problem. The Barrett 30 MOA ones are there if you want them. I'd even drop them to $150 for a military member.

Also don't forget you have alot of hold over in the Gen II reticle to use as well if you did top out of elevation. Once you use the reticle you will become more comfortable with it.