• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

40 moa on a 308 or 6.5prc

Lrdchaos

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2011
Oklahoma
Currently have a gen 2 razor 4.5-27 and a nightforce beast that I plan to put on 2 different rifles. I have standard rings for one of the optics, but I’m looking at a mount for the other. The mount has 20moa built i, for a total of 40 moa total. I realize that I don’t need 40moa for either rifle, but would 40 moa make the optics unable to zero at 100?

Provided the gun shoots straight and doesnt eat a bunch or elevation or windage to zero, both scopes should work. Why not use a flat mount?

Reactions: Baron23
You can reason your way through this:

1. a zero cant mount + mechanically centered optic means you have 1/2 of the total available travel to work with
2. if your scope has 80 MOA of total travel, then a zero cant mount gives you 40 MOA of useable travel
3. using a 40MOA mount means that now your mechanically centered optic is now centered at -40MOA
4. you then reset your elevation turret to take out that 40MOA
5. now you can work with the full range of available 80MOA elevation

Reactions: Hkmiller