• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

40 MOA picatany rail

Arif

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 26, 2009
Canada
I am looking for a 40 MOA picatany rail to fit a Blaser Tactical 2, any one knows where I might be able to find one. Blaser is out of them and taking months to get them in

A

Re: 40 MOA picatany rail

Get a hold of Murhpy precision and have them make you one.

If you don't mind me asking, what scope are you running and why the need for a 40 MOA base?

I have a Schmidt and Bender 5x25x56 which has 26mil elevation and I would like to be able to shoot upto 2000 metres. My Blaser has only 12 MOA rail and it has an option for a 40 MOA which I m trying to find

A

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Arif</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Schmidt and Bender 5x25x56 which has 26mil elevation and I would like to be able to shoot upto 2000 metres. My Blaser has only 12 MOA rail and it has an option for a 40 MOA which I m trying to find

A </div></div>

Very few flatforms can reach 2000 meters reliably. Are you shooting the 338 LM? I am not familia with the rail for the Blaser, but if it has pic rail already, then the solution to your problem is simple. Get an AI 34 mm mount with a 28 MOA cant plus your inherent 12 MOA then you have 40 MOA. It's made for the S&B scope as well.

I would guess the 308 or similar, Most 308s need about 36 MOA
to get to 1000 yds. Think about this.. The further you move from the center of your scopes adjustment. the less windage you will have. To picture this draw a perfect circle, put a dot in the center and move the dot up or down. the further you get from center the less space you will be able to move it from left to right and stay in that circle.

EDIT; I did not see the 2000 yd. application, but 40 MOA is not out of line for a 308

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RL15</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would guess the 308 or similar, Most 308s need about 36 MOA
to get to 1000 yds. Think about this.. The further you move from the center of your scopes adjustment. the less windage you will have. To picture this draw a perfect circle, put a dot in the center and move the dot up or down. the further you get from center the less space you will be able to move it from left to right and stay in that circle.

EDIT;<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold"> I did not see the 2000 yd. application, but 40 MOA is not out of line for a 308 </span></span> </div></div>

I don't think any 308 is going to reach 2000 yards. Can I get the specs for your 308? BTW, my 308 needs only 24 MOA to reach 1000 yards. It stays supersonic to about 1300 yards, but that is still a long way from 2000 yards.

I think there are some 308 loads that will make 2000 yards. Maybe not so much down by the sea, but with a little elevation...maybe. Especially now that we are discovering that the 208 AMax can be pushed to 2700+ fps in 24" barrels.

I'm not suggesting it will have useful tactical precision, but just for kicks.

Today I received a 45 moa Badger rail for my 30-06. Went out and zeroed at 100 yards with my 208 load at 2720 fps. I now have 110 moa "up" on tap. Seven full revs +... That's with the MK4 16X scope. Quicktarget suggests that is enough to reach a little past 2100 yards. You know I'm going to go there, just for shits and giggles.

Do it Shane! I'll only be able to get to ~ 1100 as I have a flat base and 35 moa in the old Leupy.

A couple winters ago I was shooting the 308 at 1850 yards. 208 AMax at 2480 fps. It was stable, but I couldn't see the hits for the snow. They were all there, about 15' short of the target when I went back to look for them.

Ramping up the velocity to 2650 in my 20.5" bbl can't hurt things any, and I was only 150 yards shy of 2000 at 2480 fps.

This was the 1850 yard attempt. As is visible, I was just a bit short. I had like 80 moa dialed, plus a 2.0 mil holdoff. I just couldn't make out any of the splashes in the snow, despite the roughly 3.5 second TOF I had to get back in the scope.
Img_7481.jpg

US Optics will make you a custom base. But there are plenty of one piece scope mounts with lots of MOA built in, also some scopes can be had setup like that. So stack them on a standard rail & you'll have the reach you need.

What do you plan to use as a spotter at that distance, the Hubble? I mean to see bullet impacts. Might need some good thermal gear with bullet track radar, as if there's any haze, or dust in the air, or mirage, much over 12x ain't gong to be useable.

375 Chey or 338 Snipe-Tac. These make the spotting easier.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can get a .308 to a very long distance, if I can fire it in a vacuum. Which is not to say that any particular place sucks...
laugh.gif

</div></div>

If you can get them to "fire" in a vacuum, I'll be really surprised.

Then you are really surprised.

The oxidizer is contained in the powder, which is why firearms will fire underwater. Try it if you don't believe it. And that's also why they'll fire in a vacuum.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can get a .308 to a very long distance, if I can fire it in a vacuum. Which is not to say that any particular place sucks...
laugh.gif

</div></div>

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">If you can get them to "fire" in a vacuum, I'll be really surprised.</span></span> </div></div>

For the same reason that we are able to go to the moon, because the oxidizer in the rocket fuel will burn even in the vacuum environment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Arif</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am looking for a 40 MOA picatany rail to fit a Blaser Tactical 2, any one knows where I might be able to find one. Blaser is out of them and taking months to get them in
</div></div>

Get a regular 0 MOA Picatinny and a 45 MOA sloped 1-piece base from Accuracy International. The mount is made especially for the 5-25X56 so it will fit.