• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

40 MOA Scope Cant - Kelby Rings?

Desert Demon

Keep Your Senses Sharp And Your Powder Dry
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2020
Phoenix, Arizona
I’m ordering components for my lightweight hunting 300 Norma Mag Build and trying to decide what is the best way to get to a 40 MOA cant—without getting a 3 lb action and or using Spuhr mount. (I have a few of those for competition).

(Yes I have the means to shoot behind 1760). It took me years—but I have run out of elevation adjustment reaching with my 6.5-284 on a 20 MOA NF base.

My first thoughts were a Defiance Anti action and throw a NF 40 MOA base. But I would prefer an in integral rail.

So I could get a Anti X with 20 MOA and throw some 25 MOA Kelby rings in it. (45 may be too much to get a 200 yd zero though?) also, I have no experience with Kelby rings. Does anyway have good or bad experience with them?

There are lots of actions with Full Length 40 MOA integral rails, but I have seen options for a small 2 piece 40 MOA rail. For example Terminus only offers the Kratos lite in 0 or 20 MOA.

Does someone know if a reputable 20 MOA picatinny ring? Or a lightweight action I’m missing that offers a 40 MOA 2 piece base?

Thanks

Canted metal rings are generally problematic. With a one piece mount you can guarantee that the rings are still concentric because the spacing is guaranteed; with separate rings, they’re only concentric at one specific distance and there’s no guarantee you’ll achieve that. As such you’re likely to put all sorts of fun dents into your scope tube. Assuming you order rings that are action-specific, this is about the only time I would ever consider lapping them. If they aren’t action-specific don’t buy them.

I would recommend looking at the Burris Signature series with the appropriate spherical bearing inserts instead; you can get 40ish moa out of them depending on the space between them.

It might also be worth talking to Defiance to see if they’d do 40moa integrated pic slots rail for you; I can’t see a reason they wouldn’t be able to, and it should only add an ounce or so of material.

Thanks. I have been trying to get Defiance in the horn recently, but they are fairly busy. I emailed and asked.

I’m also considering the Terminus Kratos X —which will be 40. But comes at a weight price.

If you're not set in an integral rail, why not order a sloped pik rail. I have a 45 moa with alphamounts on my TRG 42. Zeroed at 100 and it makes a mile with no issues (NF ATACR 5x25) Near rail and mount. http://www.nearmfg.com/products.htm
Yea one option I’m considering is getting the Defiance Anti (no integral) and putting the Nightforce 40 MOA pic rail on it.

Terminus also said they would put a 40 MOA steel rail in place of the 2 piece 20 on the Kratos lite.

Will be using a NF NX8 4-32 I have ordered.