• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors .40 S&W Revolver...Why not?

sierra2

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2009
Central MO, USA
Given the popularity of the .40 S&W in law enforcement circles, why aren't there any revolvers chambered for this, particularly in a small frame for CCW? I know, another rimless case, but there are 9mm's available, S&W maintains their .45ACP line, and the 10mm revolver is an option, but it's on the large frame.

I'd love to have a small CCW revolver to go with my duty gear!

Re: .40 S&W Revolver...Why not?

I own 3 SW 610 revolver, they are tack driver with anything I feed them, the beauty of full moonclips in 10mm is that you never loose a single case. 6 in, 6 out in a few seconds. the full power 10mm are very manageable and the 40sw is a pleasure to shoot all day.
SW made some 4 inch model and very few 3 inch (good luck finding those)
hope this helps

Yes, I'm aware of the 610 and the 310 models, but those are both on the large frame. I guess it was my secret wish, hoping someone from S&W, Taurus, or Charter Arms would hear my plea. Seems like a no-brainer...a compact backup revolver chambered in the same duty rounds I carry.

S&w did make a 40s&w revolver on the L frame. If I remember correctly is idle called a 646. They made less than 1k of them in two different runs in the 90's. They come with a titanium cylinder and can be a bit expensive since they are purchased for collecting now. I have a 610 no dash that I have converted to 10mm magnum
IMG_2644.jpg

IMG_2648.jpg

ruger also did a 38/40 with a 40 sW cylinder

charterarms was going to come out with one in .45acp, 9mm and 40 S&W 2 years ago but Nov happened and the world went crazy Word was it was all they could do to keep up with existing products -

I think they are back on the board might be worth a check.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sierra2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, I'm aware of the 610 and the 310 models, but those are both on the large frame. I guess it was my secret wish, hoping someone from S&W, Taurus, or Charter Arms would hear my plea. Seems like a no-brainer...a compact backup revolver chambered in the same duty rounds I carry. </div></div>

I think, having reread the thread, that manufacturers aren't of the opinion that anyone would be eager to soak up the relatively abusive recoil of a normal self defense load in .40 S&W through a smaller-framed revolver. More than that, I would think that such a revolver might wind up shot out with greater speed than a larger chunk of steel.

Just my 2 cents ...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooting4life</div><div class="ubbcode-body">S&w did make a 40s&w revolver on the L frame. If I remember correctly is idle called a 646. They made less than 1k of them in two different runs in the 90's. They come with a titanium cylinder and can be a bit expensive since they are purchased for collecting now. I have a 610 no dash that I have converted to 10mm magnum
</div></div>

Correct L frame 646, 4" barrel. I too have a 610 no dash as well as 2nd run 646 both very nice after an action job.

lot of leo like a wheel gun as back up - slimer profile -reliable action - let me clarify and say older leo's

For those wheel guners who give a flip some different S&W offerings over the years. Top to bottom 646 40 cal 4", Ti cylinder. 686-7 38 super 4". 627-6 38 super, 8 shot, Ti cylinder. 625-8 45 ACP 4", Ti cylinder. 627-3 'V8', 357 mag 8 shot. As you can see I don't like hammers.

SDC11006.jpg

Great collection - I did notice that you like front sights- very nice

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kytrapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great collection - I did notice that you like front sights- very nice
</div></div>
Thanks, like all front sight, front sight, gotta see that FS!

The 40 is a compromise in every sense. Half way between the .45 and 9mm in size and capacity (with exceptions). It is the neutered offspring of the 10mm auto cause the Feds were worried about recoil (boo hoo).

If you are doing a wheel gun, there are much better options than .40 S&W

And remember, just because something is widely used, doesn't mean its preferred or endeared.

40 short and weak is nothing but a NASCAR with a restricter plate chokeing off what was a perfect round , the 10mm . Made that way because of pansies in the FBI . Now you want it in a wheel gun ??

The Gay , you have it .

The 40 s@w was made for AUTOs , the 38 special was made for revolvers .

I have solved the problem .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pointblank4445</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 40 is a compromise in every sense. Half way between the .45 and 9mm in size and capacity (with exceptions). It is the neutered offspring of the 10mm auto cause the Feds were worried about recoil (boo hoo).

If you are doing a wheel gun, there are much better options than .40 S&W

And remember, just because something is widely used, doesn't mean its preferred or endeared. </div></div>

True, but if shooting .40 means someone else is footing the bill for ammo, sometimes the tradeoffs are worth it :)

(So says the man with a .45ACP and .357Mag when issued the .40S&W)

I am a bit of an outsider on this as I have never owned a 40S&W of any type. I would think that the 40 would be a good cartridge for a revolver, regardless of your personal opinion on its performance. I do know some folks that shoot the 40 from their 610 series revolvers due to cost, however I think one made specifically for the .40 may work out on a smaller frame like a k frame.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kytrapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">charterarms was going to come out with one in .45acp, 9mm and 40 S&W 2 years ago but Nov happened and the world went crazy Word was it was all they could do to keep up with existing products -

I think they are back on the board might be worth a check. </div></div>

This eludes to their desire to produce such a revolver.

http://directory.officer.com/product/10050419/CHARTER_FIREARMS_Rimless_Revolver