• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

40 S&W Super Powder?

Ishallbie O'Cullkillin

Central Coastranger
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2007
Oregon
About to embark on a 1000 rds of 40S&W handloads , and doing research, came across Ramshot's Enforcer powder, which claims their max loading pushes a 165gr Montana Gold 1322fps from a 4" bbl @ 31,810 psi. Seems like this is too good to be true. Are they smoking crack? Any recommendations for a powder?

Re: 40 S&W Super Powder?

Never tried the Ramshot but that data does seem a little out there. Not saying it is not possible. I personally use Titegroup and try to stay with a heavier bullet, although most of my loads are for USPSA type shooting. Heavy bullet and fast powder equals soft perceivable recoil.

If you try the ramshot be sure to report back as I would be curious if that velocity is achievable.

I also like Titegroup.
What data are you pulling this 40 S&W Enforcer powder from? I don't see this velocity happening at the 40 S&W recommended pressure levels. I can push a 135 grain up to 1260 with pressure signs, but this is a 135 grain. They run better under max.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AlcoholicusRex</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> About to embark on a 1000 rds of 40S&W handloads , Any recommendations for a powder? </div></div>

These days it might help if you could tell us what powder you have or can get. Lot of options for the 40.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark S</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AlcoholicusRex</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> About to embark on a 1000 rds of 40S&W handloads , Any recommendations for a powder? </div></div>

These days it might help if you could tell us what powder you have or can get. Lot of options for the 40.</div></div> Right now I have Unique, 800X, Blue Dot, AA#9, Alliant 2400. The last two I would only use as a last resort. Thinking about picking up some Power Pistol. I am loading for a Glock 27 & a Glock 20 with a .40S&W conversion bbl.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I also like Titegroup.
What data are you pulling this 40 S&W Enforcer powder from? I don't see this velocity happening at the 40 S&W recommended pressure levels. I can push a 135 grain up to 1260 with pressure signs, but this is a 135 grain. They run better under max. </div></div> The Data I posted is directly out of the Ramshot Powders Revised Load Guide Edition III.

If Ramshot enforcer will do it that would truely be impressive. The best listing at a max charge on the Hodgdon sight for that bullet is about 1180.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I also like Titegroup.
What data are you pulling this 40 S&W Enforcer powder from? I don't see this velocity happening at the 40 S&W recommended pressure levels. I can push a 135 grain up to 1260 with pressure signs, but this is a 135 grain. They run better under max. </div></div>

I got nearly a full pound of Titegroup you can have if you want it...

loaded up about 100rnds of mild loads with it & didn't care for it much. It's yours if you want it.

I've (re)loaded about 3500+ rounds in a zillion combos with 135s up to 180s for my P99 and G22 and that seems pretty optimistic to me. I know that hot 155s, like Winnie SilverTips, are just over 1205 fps for about 505 ft/# of KE, so a 165 going 1320+ out of a 4" pipe, makes me cringe a bit.

I'm flying the BS flag on this one, but powders have gotten better, no doubt.

Double Tap would probably scoff at that 1322 claim.

Chris

Well if you want to use some of what you got. 7.2gr's of Unique with a 165 = 1064 FPS, 6.7 with a 180= 1000FPS or 8 with a 155 will get 1207 FPS per Alliant website, no barrel length noted.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AlcoholicusRex</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> About to embark on a 1000 rds of 40S&W handloads , and doing research, came across Ramshot's Enforcer powder, which claims their max loading pushes a 165gr Montana Gold 1322fps from a 4" bbl @ 31,810 psi. Seems like this is too good to be true. Are they smoking crack? Any recommendations for a powder? </div></div>

First off I should say that "I would never fire these in a "Glock" or gun with a WITHOUT-a fully supported barrel"

I haven't done the Montana Gold 165ers....but I have done the 155 XTPs with Enforcer. Got an honest 1370+ on the starting charge( don't have the data with me) fired out of a fully-supported 5 inch barrel. That was fast enough for me. Brass looked fine, primers fine. The load seemed A-OK. Wish I had a carbine in 40, I think it would do great in one. You can find the data on "Steves Pages"

Power Pistol and AA#5 work great with 180 JHP's. Both meter real well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AlcoholicusRex</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> About to embark on a 1000 rds of 40S&W handloads , and doing research, came across Ramshot's Enforcer powder, which claims their max loading pushes a 165gr Montana Gold 1322fps from a 4" bbl @ 31,810 psi. Seems like this is too good to be true. Are they smoking crack? Any recommendations for a powder? </div></div>
Where did you find this data?

I'll take that powder if you dont want it. I have wanted to use some of that but couldn't find any locally.( College student= too broke for HAZMAT fees)

I don't know where you found that data, but Ramshot Enforcer is a relatively slow powder that would not be a good choice for the 40 SW.

The slower powders will generate higher residual chamber pressures that won't provide enough brass support in a non-fully supported barrel, as well as increase slide velocity and stress the pistol more. I wouldn't fire 1000 rounds of loads of that type through any of my 40 pistols, or what benefits I would expect to gain by doing so.

I would recommend sticking with the manufacturers published loads in this caliber and not trying to load it to magnum levels in a stock pistol.

TC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Top Cat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know where you found that data, but Ramshot Enforcer is a relatively slow powder that would not be a good choice for the 40 SW.

The slower powders will generate higher residual chamber pressures that won't provide enough brass support in a non-fully supported barrel, as well as increase slide velocity and stress the pistol more. I wouldn't fire 1000 rounds of loads of that type through any of my 40 pistols, or what benefits I would expect to gain by doing so.

I would recommend sticking with the manufacturers published loads in this caliber and not trying to load it to magnum levels in a stock pistol.

Western/Ramshot published the data for one year only, I've still got that manual, I think it was their 3rd Edition.

Sometimes you'll find these "odd" loads out there.. AA #9 data is also available for the 40. Heck VV has on their website a 1200 fps 147gr 9mm load, look at the data for Viht. 3n38 + the 9.

TC </div></div>

There might be good reasons why those load recommendations were pulled.

Published loads are tested in a locked breech pressure barrel and provide some interesting ballistic data, but pressure barrels do not have reciprocating parts that are designed to function within a specific pressure curve. When the Lab Rats pressure test those loads, that factor is not necessarily taken into consideration.

A pistol can be built or modified to function at the ragged edge without problems, and slower powders do have a big advantage if the goal is to maximize the amount of pressure through the compensator at the end of the barrel while keeping chamber pressures reasonable.

Those type of loads that will run perfectly fine in a custom pistol 24/7 can be disastrous if fired in a stock pistol. I'm not saying those Enforcer loads are unsafe, and it's useful info to have if you want to run those loads in your race gun, but outside of the world of competition I would question what benefits are to be gained.

A powder in a faster burning range is a better all-around choice for general use in a stock pistol. The fast-medium burning rate powders provide adequate velocity, recoil less; adding to the shoot ability and multiple hit potential, are easier on the brass, less wear and tear on the pistol, burn cleaner, etc..

TC