• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors .40 vs .45 for ccw/ home defense

AFshooter

Private
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2009
Fort Collins, Co
Before I get ripped, I did use the search function and came up with nothing. I'm debating between a glock sub compact and a xd subcompact. Now I cant decide between a .45 or a .40. I like both and shoot both well. I really want a subcompact but there is no xd subcompact in .45 but it does come in a compact. I really like the safety on the backstrap of the XD's. The glocks Im looking at are the g27 and the g30. I guess basically what Im trying to ask is...
Feelings on the 45 vs the 40 for ccw/ home defense?

Thanks

Re: .40 vs .45 for ccw/ home defense

All good choices for a handgun. I would go with a G17 or G19 myself.

.45ACP vs. 40S&W vs. 9mm all = same...

For home defense, get a 12GA remy 870.

Cartridge choice is moot in my opinion, they both do the same work.

The G27 is a little too small for my liking, and the G30 is a tad chunky.

I'd go G23 with tritium sights. 13+1 of 40, in a small but very shootable package.

I like .40. Good balance between 9 and .45 in most facets: power, mag capacity, and ammo cost.

Haha, ohh I forgot to mention I have little girl hands but the Glocks seem to fit well for some reason. I'd also get the grip extension for it too so my pinky has something to rest on.

Thanks for the info guys, its much appreciated.

Both work, both make holes, both are great for both apps., both are up for what you want them for. Just depends if you want both or one or the other. Like most, you'll end up with both and probably several in different configurations/makes/models.

Buy the sub since you'll carry it & use it for HD, then save more $$$ buy a compact size, then full size models of ______ or ______. "To each his own"

IMHO:
.45ACP Full Size for HD
&
9x19/9mm; 40S&W for SUBCOMPACT Polymer = CCW

Again, my .02

Have a great one,
F.T.K.

With all else equal, the bigger hole makes the difference.

HOWEVER hitting the target is more important.

Figure out which one YOU shoot better.

I carry a Commander in .45ACP for CCW and a 12ga Remington 1100, M4 or a AK47 for home defense. I have carried a G26 in the past and it's in my desk drawer because I figured out I can carry a fullsize 1911 in shorts and t-shirt.
wink.gif

I think there is a big difference between CCW and Home Defense.

The more I study real world shootings the more I prefer to carry more ammo. Considering a large majority of defensive shooters empty or come close to empting their weapons I want something with more than 7 rounds or I suggest making it reflex to carry an extra mag.

I suggest a 9 first and a 45 second. Personally a 40 has a sharp recoil and is troublesome for some shooters. G19 would be my suggestion to you but before you buy I would borrow or rent several various makes/models and try them out before you buy.

On the home side a pump shotgun or m4 will be the best bet and don't skimp on a weapon mounted light.

Lastly the most important thing... Train. Take one class a year from someone different and then train with your weapons on a weekly basis. You don't have to shoot them but basic weapons manipulation will pay off.

I like .40, because it's what I've got. I also like .45, because it makes bigger holes and I can shoot it well. For CCW, go with the biggest caliber you can shoot. I'd rather put 5 rounds of .38 special into a 5" vital area than make 7-18 holes all around the bad guy.

Personal opinion, I would suggest buying the XD sub-compact .40 because you'll be better able to afford ammunition to <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">PRACTICE</span></span> shooting with, and better able to conceal it as you're first getting used to carrying. Then, take the leftover money from your gun fund and buy an 18" Remington 870 with extended mag tube for your home defense gun.

Listen to all the tips and training you can, and employ them to the best of your abilities. If something works, do it over and over again until you don't think about doing it - it just happens.

Get the Glock.
more trigger time proven.
unlimited parts, accessories.
they work, my (2) glock 23s are the finest combat handguns in existence imho.
then puchase a shitload of ammo, and train weekly until proficeint.
then train at minimum one a month if you are a CCW carrier.

Home defense= get a revolver. idiot proof and it wont matter if you leave it loaded for 2 yrs or 10 years, no springs to wear out, because there are no magazines.
And when you squeeze the trigger you will still hear a loud bang.
old smith and wesson model 10 .38s work great as a "bed gun"
load it with 158 grain semi wadcutters and you are good to go.

I compete with 1911's but the glock 27 with the 1 round grip extension mags
are my carry. Size being the reason for me.

Flip a coin. I've carried 9mm, .40, .45, and 10mm. I've had a 40 longer than the others, but with quality ammo it doesn't make much difference which caliber you use. The only one with anynoticeable difference in shootability to me is the 10mm, and that is due to the fact that I run some pretty hot stuff in them. 165's at 1450. If I haven't been out on the range with it very regularly I see my ability drop off a bit. I don't see it nearly as much with the lighter recoiling calibers.

The best handgun to carry is the one you WILL carry. I carry anything from a small .32 up to a .45 depending on what, where and what I'm wearing. My main carry for the winter time is a XD compact .45 or a series 80 colt, summer time in shorts is the .32. If you get a guy to leakin you have changed his attitude. I'm not a Glock kind of guy. Why? Well cause I like Ford not Chevy. Just remember if you don't carry it it's worthless.

Oh yeah, in the house? Any 12 ga. pump or semi loaded with 6 or 8 shot and 00buck. 1 buck, 2 8's 1 buck 2 8's.

GRIMM

For home defense get a shotgun loaded with 00 buck, more jury friendly if things go bump in the night and you have to use it.
As for ccw, try and find a range that rents out various pistols and see what fits you the best. Glocks are proven combat pistols and very simple to field strip for cleaning.
As for caliber, with todays bullet technology they all perform pretty well. Get a caliber that you are comfortable shooting and that gives you the best shot to shot recovery. Some people shoot 9mm better than .45.
Go to a class and do a combat pistol course. These are different than trying to put all your bullets in a nice clump on a bulls eye.
Remember you are only 1/2 as good as you best training day when the shtf so train hard.

hmmm, .45, 10mm, .50GI, or 9mm, .357Sig, .38 Super, and two schools of thought. Small and fast, or big and slow. A point of contention between shooters for years. Me, I like the big slow ones that thump, but the .357Sig holds a lot of allure due to it's penatrative capability to make some stuff act like butter when it hits. Either way, for me, next one I buy will be a .50GI, or maybe it will be a .357Sig. Lots of time to think on it, but by rights, I come from the big & slow gun school of the .45

I shoot both the XD and the Glock equally as well in 9, 40 and 45, The 9 and 40 both seem to have about the same shot to shot recovery characteristics, well the 40 jumps a bit more but still comes back on target almost as fast. But I like the 40 better than the 9 and 45. If you compare the two side by side they're bascially mirror images of each other expecept the XD has a saftey on the back strap which I like. The xd comes with a holster, mag carrier, grip extension, and different sized back straps for alittle bit more of a custom fit. But they seem to be hard to find right now where the g 27 isnt. Im torn.

Any will work. It's what you're comfortable with and can conceal well. I have a G27 and big hands still works well for me. I've used a Para Warthog in .45 acp and it worked well for me. I also use a G19 and I imagine it will work fine with Speer 124 gr +P or Ranger (Talons).

The .40 is "snappier" which takes some folks more practice with a G27 vs. a G23 sized frame. Generally speaking .40 ammo is still a little more expensive than .45 acp and 9mm, but any one will get the job done.

Switch....
Hmmm... 50 GI those are fun and a 300gr hollowpoint will tear shit up! I got to fire a glock (Aftermarket Slide and Barrel) in 50 GI a few weeks ago. It was a lot of fun and accurate as any of my other handguns.

What you shoot better and are more comfortable with. Personally, I prefer the .45 for protection. Like mavrick mentioned the recoil of the .40 has more snap where the .45 is more of a roll. I love my .40 but they're all set up for IPSC not as CCW's.

That said, IIRC Col. Cooper said, "A 9mm may expand but a .45 will never shrink."

I use a full-size 1911 for IDPA, but prefer the full-size 1911 for carry. In rare instances I carry an officer size 1911.

So after reading about some of the issues with the Glock ( glock kaboom). It makes me wanna shy away from it and go with the xd.
Any opinions on the Glock Kaboom? If you know what Im talking about. Cause it seems like it doesn't really matter if you use reloads or not or lead bullets or not.

Do a search for Kaboom on the net. I've seen pics of Sigs, HK's, AR's and many other firearms that "Kaboomed". If you reload and are concerned with the unsupported chamber area about 6 o'clock primarily on the .40 SW, buy an aftermarket barrel and move on - and shoot all the lead or jacketed rounds you want. Way overhyped.

Way over exaggerated as well I think. Anything will kaboom if you load everything at or above max loads without working your load up in that particular gun. Even Winchester and others double charge a round every so often. It happens and that is one of the risks of shooting. At least when they do blow up the shooter escapes with relatively little injury.

Did some testing for curiosity purposes awhile back. Tested through clothing and meat and bone. Participants were Benelli M2 with 00 buck, Glock 20, Springfield XD Tactical, Smith and Wesson .357 revolver and Glock .357 Sig. Results are as follows in order of damage from most significant to least:

1. 12 gauge 00 buck (total annhilation)
2. .357 magnum 158 grain Buffalo Bore (insane damage)
3. .357 Sig 125 grain Gold Dot Double Tap Load (ridiculous damage)
4. 10mm 180 grain Gold Dot Double Tap Load (severe damage)
5. .45 230 grain +P HST (uneventful...hollow point plugged)

Other loads for each caliber were tested but I only reported the most significant for each. 10mm load actually expanded to largest diameter but did not create the wound channels that the .357 loads produced.

This is not at all opinion based information just the results of the test. All targets were a distance of 7 yards away.

The .40 and .45 are both great. I have both. The Glocks just shoot, every time you pull the trigger. John Browning made the 45acp to do one thing and do it very good, put someone down on the first shot. The .40 is just behind the .45 in my opinion. Pick whatever works for you!

I have fairly small hands and therefore love my 1911's but stepped into a gun shop yesterday and held a Glock 30SF (short frame).

That 30SF came home with me.

I've owned .38/9mm/357Sig/.357/.40/.45/Etc. and have decided in the past month to streamline all of my handgun calibers. Just .45 for me going forward.

Honestly,

They are both good choices. I have an XD .40 service size and I love it.
I also have a Glock 36 and love it too.

If you are concidering a CCW gun you need to take in concideration your physical build. Personally, I don't think I could hide an xd in any size because of the thickness of the gun. Same with the sub compacts. The G36 is a little thinner but I can only hide it with an iwb holster or thick clothes. Strangely enough I can hide a full size 1911 but because it's thinner.

For caliber it's all about preferance between .40 and .45
I tend to like .45s more but that has to do with the way the gun tends to recoil.

I would put my focus on which gun feels better to you personally. which one do you get along with more. rather than judge by caliber. I could carry a 500 S&W... I don't think I would be nearly as proficiant with it as I would be with say a .357.

I like .45 the most because I shoot a 1911 better than any other handgun. The only .40 I've ever shot was a buddy's sig 229, and it had more felt recoil, but that seemed to be more of problem of my using that design of pistol. For me if it came down to a 1911 in .45 or .40 I'd choose the .45. In my limited experience .40 has seemed a little hotter.

I agree with Sgt.0811, it's about the feel of the pistol more than the choice between similar rounds.

i would get xd 9mm in subcompact loaded with hydra shok jhp. 147/9.53 will stop all. practice makes perfect...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: waafist</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like .45 the most because I shoot a 1911 better than any other handgun. The only .40 I've ever shot was a buddy's sig 229, and it had more felt recoil, but that seemed to be more of problem of my using that design of pistol. For me if it came down to a 1911 in .45 or .40 I'd choose the .45. In my limited experience .40 has seemed a little hotter.

I agree with Sgt.0811, it's about the feel of the pistol more than the choice between similar rounds. </div></div>

How about a 1911 in 40 S&W?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MrGrimm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The best handgun to carry is the one you WILL carry. </div></div>

Amen brother!!

Personally I think the caliber should begin with an "F" and I am a 1911 guy. When I go polymer I go XD for that reason. I cannot shoot a glock well. If I take my time with a glock, they run fine and put them where I want them, but when it comes to hittin what I need to hit and being fast doing it a 1911 is what works for me.

I carry 45 and play games with 40 (just because my Para hold 20rds). CorBon flying ashtrays are my defense boolit.

But back to what MrGrimm said, get the one you will carry. There's a good chance you can catch me with a Springer Micro Compact and a couple mags on me, but its tough to catch me without my P3AT in my pocket
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cowboy_bravo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think there is a big difference between CCW and Home Defense.

The more I study real world shootings the more I prefer to carry more ammo. Considering a large majority of defensive shooters empty or come close to empting their weapons I want something with more than 7 rounds or I suggest making it reflex to carry an extra mag.

I suggest a 9 first and a 45 second. Personally a 40 has a sharp recoil and is troublesome for some shooters. G19 would be my suggestion to you but before you buy I would borrow or rent several various makes/models and try them out before you buy

On the home side a pump shotgun or m4 will be the best bet and don't skimp on a weapon mounted light.

Lastly the most important thing... Train. Take one class a year from someone different and then train with your weapons on a weekly basis. You don't have to shoot them but basic weapons manipulation will pay off. </div></div>

+1 on the weapon light for home defense.

When you are talking the Big Three(9mm, 40, and 45),

HANDGUN CALIBER REALLY DOESN'T MATTTER!!!

In their different ways...

(9mm trumps 40,45)

(40 trumps 9mm,45)

(45 trumps 40,9mm)

There is always a reason for one of these to be chosen over the other.

Just buy what YOU will be happy shooting, and actually practice shooting.

Hangun is for fighting your way to a RIFLE!

Between the Glock 27 and 30 both calibers are fine for concealed carry and home defence. The 27 is slightly smaller then the 30, but I don't think you would notice the difference. The 40 has a bit of a snap to it and some shooters have a hard time getting used to the snap. If caliber is the deciding factor I would go with the 45.

The lighter and smaller you go the more recoil you're going to perceive so the slower your follow up shots will be, AND you will be giving up sight radius. I cannot for the life of me why you would willingly suffer those deficiencies for a "home defence" weapon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dark Horse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
5. .45 230 grain +P HST (uneventful...hollow point plugged)
</div></div>

Thanks. This is why I noted in another thread a while back that I don't pay much attention to ballistics gelatin tests that aren't shot through clothing.

The .40 is an inadquate round. The 10mm is not but its overpenetration issue is problematic. If the gun is meant for home defense, use a .45 with glasers. If its cold weather and an intruder might be wearing multple layers, the fed hydra-shoks do a nice job. I have 9mms and .40s but I wouldn't trust my life or the life of another to them unless they were in a subgun or carbine. The colt ar-15 in 9mm with a mounted light is a nice home defense gun. I handle murders for a living and have reviewed thousands of shootings and autopsies and although my opinion is anecdotal, take it for what its worth: you're probably going to have just one chance to get it right...Check out my post on home defense:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...605#Post1075605

Furthermore you should only carry and practice with one gun (plus your backup). Ken Hackathorn has a great saying and it goes something like this: "The most dangerous man in the world is the man who only carries one gun because he practices with it all the time and he knows how to use it."

When it comes to carrying a weapon there are three rules:

1) Always carry a loaded gun;

2) Always carry extra clips or speedloaders;

3) Never EVER stick your gun in your mouth.

if you do go with .45 I couldn't tell ya enough to buy corbon 185+ps and pretty much only use them.

i have a flavor of everything from 9 40 45 sub compact and full size... i might be a closed minded traditionalist but theres a dan wesson CBOB 45 acp on my hip at all times

i love my g23, but the 1911 is just right in the hands

haha still trying to decide but after playing around with the g27 some more I decided its going to be too hard for me to conceal well since Im so small framed. 5'6" and 140. So now I may take heed to what every one has said and try to find a 1911 for a reasonable price on a college budget.... there was nice hammerless para subcomact 1911 at the store that may come home with me next month if its still there.

For an out of the box custom .45 -for the money- you can't beat a Kimber. If you want something smaller (commander or officer size )check out their pro carry series. I love Colts but I would not recommend an out of the box Colt. Paraordinance makes great products too.

Yeah Im trying to find something under a grand I would perfer something closer to 700 with night sights. The para was 750 with night sights. The kimber procarry that they have is 850 w/o night sights. which is alittle to high for my budget but it is for my life, so Im considering it. So we will see what happens when I turn 21 on the 22.
On a side note. I had the worst experience of my life on Sat. I got a job with a fed contractor for armed security and had to get trained to use OC. That shit sucks.