• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

$400 budget for rimfire glass.....Which glass?

datw

Private
Minuteman
Jun 25, 2008
Juliette Ga
Got several cz's laying around with nothing on top and cant really decide what to go with. Figured 3-9-40 was a good starting point. Then reticle? Then manufact? And so on? Would appreciate hearing what seems to be the norm for other peoples rimfires choice of optics. Thanks Folks

Re: $400 budget for rimfire glass.....Which glass?

Definitely mildot, IMHO. There are several options that you can go with that budget.

I know one that has been a favorite for lots of shooters here is the Bushnell 3200 10X with tactical knob. I like that one also. I currently have a Leupy VX-II on mine. Will change that soon. Also have been looking at SS scopes, Nikon Monarch. Still deciding which one for myself. But if I were to pick one up today, it would probably the Bushnell.

I have an SS 10x on my CZ and it's a great combination although you will need to plan your mounts carefully as the large eyepiece can tight with the CZ bolt if you need a low sight line.

TC

I have a Falcon 4.5-18x on my mark II at the moment, but a Bushnell 10X on the way. I still have not decided if the falcon will stay or not.

Just bought a 3200 3-9-40 and put on my sons cz...Jury is still out bc we have not shot it yet. In the neighborhood of 220.00 i think..

I just put a WO TAC on one of my Finns have not had it out but it should be great.

weaver T24 is 350 bux, hard to beat. The super snipers and what not just look cheap to me, that is saying nothing about their quality or how they work they just look cheap.

The SS 10X is great for long range shooting on my CZ 452A.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ba_50</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The SS 10X is great for long range shooting on my CZ 452A. </div></div>

I highly recommend the SS scopes for this application. They focus down to 10m and have 100+ moa of adjustment (I like 16X personally).

There are lots of scope that will focus down in the price range, but the key to ANY good optic for our purposes is reliability and repeatability of adjustment, and having plenty of adjustment available. Keep in mind that 200yds from a 50yd zero will use up to 30ish moa of elevation.

I have a Falcon Merlin 10-42 with the ML 20 reticle. Side adjust focus. First I love the scope. I feel its was worth far more than the 200 I Paid for it. However it is not on the same playing field as my VX 3. Second their customer support is fantastic. I have had a number of questions which I emailed and they have all been answered within a couple hours. I would buy a second without hesitation.
dgwelsh

I have a Bushnell 3200 10x40 on a 17HMR. Great glass for the money. The only downside is the lack of parallax adjustment.

What are your applications for this rifle? Hunting, target shooting, long range practice?

Bushnell 3200 10x mildot perfect for this application.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bushnell 3200 10x mildot perfect for this application. </div></div>
I'd beg to differ. While the 3200 10X is a great scope for the money and will hold its own with many scopes of a much higher price, the lack of parallax correction makes it tough on a rimfire if you plan on shooting under 100yds at all.
Parallax is worst when you are shooting inside the range a scope is set for, that is its better to have the parallax correction set at 50yds and shoot at 100yds than vice versa.
I love the 10X Bushy's for waht they are, but for a $400 budget, a Super Sniper and 1K of good ammo would be a better investment.

Have you considered a used scope? You should be able to get a decent used Leupold 3.5-10 or 4.5-14 in the $350 to $400 range.

Take a look at the Falcon Optics Menace 4-14 FFP with matched milliradian reticle and adjustments. Or any of the Menace series.
I will never again bother with a scope without matching reticle and adjustments. It shoots a nice box, the optics are impressive for the price point, and the whole thing just works well. Get them now while they're still cheap, 'cause they won't stay that way.

+1 for the 4.5 - 14 FFP

I run one on my 10/22 and love it.

You may need to check to make sure that you have enough room to mount it though.
I had to get an extended rail to accomidate mine.
(because is is such a large scope, the extended rail was needed on mine to achieve adequite eye relief.)

I'm kinda in the same boat when it comes to needing to focus close. I shoot in my basement with a supressor and it's only about 30'. I have been looking at the VXII rimfire because it can focus closer than 10m. The problem that I am having is the lack of recticle choices. About $359. I have a Monrach 4-16-42 with mildot I like it except the close focus part.

not to bash anyone and im new around this forum but why does everyone insisting on spending big bux on a .22 i have a marlin bolt action .22 with a $40 bushnell on it and do just fine with it(3-9 power) but i guess if you were shooting target you would need more power but whatever it your choice i just couldnt ustify spending 40 on a .22 scope.

You get what you pay for...simple as that. Actually if i didnt have so many rimfires i would spend a good bit more than that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rc-junky007</div><div class="ubbcode-body">not to bash anyone and im new around this forum but why does everyone insisting on spending big bux on a .22 i have a marlin bolt action .22 with a $40 bushnell on it and do just fine with it(3-9 power) but i guess if you were shooting target you would need more power but whatever it your choice i just couldnt ustify spending 40 on a .22 scope. </div></div>

Many people look at these rifles as perfect, low-cost, precision trainers. There are even matches where they shoot out to 200 or more yards. If that is what you plan on doing then you want much more out of a scope, stuff that hard to find in a cheap-o. Believe me, I tried to find the cheapest scope I could that meet my requirements, and $300 was the best I could do, and even that was a compromise, for what I really wanted it would have been more than $500.

Many use the Weaver V16 in small bore bench rest that includes me also. The V16 does not come in a mill dot but the V24 does. The wires are to big in the mill dot for B/R so few use the V24's but for a 22 trainer it would be fine. Donald

rc-junky007....as others have said it's all about your application. If you are shooting pop cans in the backyard, then any Walmart special will work. If you are trying to punch .25" groups at 100 yards, then excellent glass removes one more variable from the equation. If I could afford it I would put a USO on my MkII.

I replaced my 3200 10x with a SS20x. But the choice really depends on how the rifle will be used. I like to plink at longrange so I needed lots of elevation adjustment. The SS was about the only choice that met all of my requirements. If I was shooting closer ranges then the options can be much wider.

I'm suprised no one has mentioned a Vortex Crossfire series. This is what I am putting on my CZ 17 HMR in 6.5-20 44 or 50?.

I considered the Vortex Crossfire, especially the new ones with 30mm tube. They were reported to have 100MOA by some, but are 75MOA I believe. More than enough for many people, but I wanted more.

I looked at a 1" 6-24x50 and it was nice for the money. There was some play in the knobs before each click and the image got blurry towards the edges (not bad enough to notice unless you are looking for it, but definitely not crisp to the edges). I was concerned with the durability and repeatability of the adjustments since I crank the hell out of the turrets shooting a 22lr at 300+ yards, but they do have a good warranty.

I agree that you don't hear much about the Crossfire here or at other forums. The low price segment seems to be covered by Mueller pretty heavily.

I know it is far on the cheap side of the budget but I have a Simmons 44 Mag with target turrets and mill dot reticle that has done very well on all my rimfires. It isn't something I would toss on a duty rig but it certainly has worked good enough for me. I got one when they were clearanced at $100. It isn't as good at a $400 scope but its fairly close and only costs a fraction of the price. I never complained with it. I have the Philippine made version which I believe is the same plant that is pumping out Nikon scopes today. It will certainly hold up to a 22lr if thats all you plan to run it on.

I have no complaints about my Millett TRS-1

How about a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40, One model has parallax set at 50 yds as well. Very nice glass for it's price range.

Take a look at these scopes, they are going to be the new Weaver 40/44 series. Read about them here, mostly about the 6.5-20X44 which is sold out but same glass quality. http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258853 or do a search on RFC, lots of info. You could probably scope all your CZ's for $400.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?con...Z&src=BE362

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=IT94630&src=sim

Try a Weaver Grand Slam 4X16X40 with the mil dot ret. Super glass and the trac system they use for the scope adjustments is outstanding.

give this one a look.

Hawke Sport Optics

I love the scope i already have from this outfit and will be getting this one next. you will likely find it less expensive than the MSRP.

I have four of these. I sold a used Leupie, used the money to buy the four, and still had a few bucks left over. They have been in intermittent use (with winter layoffs) on rifles ranging from a lightweight .30-'06 to several .22LR's for well over two years now. They have always done what I ask of them, and for rimfire, they are probably especially good, because they will focus on down to 15yd. Compared to more expensive scopes, about the only weakness I can see is somewhat less image brightness.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have four of these. I sold a used Leupie, used the money to buy the four, and still had a few bucks left over. They have been in intermittent use (with winter layoffs) on rifles ranging from a lightweight .30-'06 to several .22LR's for well over two years now. They have always done what I ask of them, and for rimfire, they are probably especially good, because they will focus on down to 15yd. Compared to more expensive scopes, about the only weakness I can see is somewhat less image brightness.

Greg </div></div>

That looks like a great value for a scope with paralax adjustment!